Tire Clearance 101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Another master class from Tinkerers Adventure in setting up the suspension for tire clearance. In an intuitive and easy to understand visualization of concepts. Hat tip to such a well produced video.

I often get messages asking how I've fit full fat 35x12.5s. It's exactly this recipe of only as much offset as necessary, no UCA, and a moderate lift enabling alignment that maximizes clearances. A moderate lift may not appeal to all, but when it creates the opportunity for more tire and resultant tire lift, it's potentially a better way. Add to that the additional benefits of larger tires that increase clearance at the pumpkin, improved approach and departure angles, and less toe steer as the suspension cycles in the sweeter part of its geometry.

I have to ask.. why is it always “full fat” 35s?

Probably due to folks like me on skinnys, which are perhaps non-fat?

I have to ask.. why is it always “full fat” 35s?
Because the 200-series community is stuck in a rut.

I mean let's see another "largest tire" 285/75R17 or 285/70R18 build using the same recipe, all to often built on false limitations and fallacies this video helps break through.

The 200-series is a big bodied truck. Other Toyota offroad truck and SUV communities are building to these and larger tire sizes. That we're stuck, so often due to fallacies is why. The reality I see out there is 35"+ tires are the standard. That's a problem for smaller tire vehicles, especially with big bodies, because all these Jeeps and factory big tire trucks we share the trail with are digging larger holes around obstacles.

Probably due to folks like me on skinnys, which are perhaps non-fat?

With all honestly, I respect the tire size you run. Running an even larger diameter tire without the compromise of width against clearance. You know exactly how you use your car and have modified it to suit. That's winning in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom