Basket-style roof rack with more clearance than HE factory rack - or lower HE rack? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I like the HE rack. It works great, I like the "Basket" design of it for strapping down luggage.

However, my LC HE (factory suspension, factory tire size, factory everything) is 1.5" too tall to fit in my garage. I've had a garage guy out, adjusted the door, the issue is the fascia/surround of the garage which cannot be modified to increase clearance.

I have two options. It looks like the brackets for the megawarrior rack are awfully tall. I think I could get the rack 1.5" lower with new brackets. Has anyone accomplished this?

Second option, new rack. I don't care for the aesthetics of the prinsu style low profile/flush racks. I like the basket style. Any suggestions?

Looking at a video of an installed mega warrior. I don't think there is as much space as it "looks" like to lower the basket. The support bars of the basket that run longitudinal are nearly sitting on top of the cross bars. Possibly using a cross bar that wasn't arched would lower it a little, but I don't think you'd get 1.5" back.

If you want to keep the bars/basket look there are aftermarket rack options. Ironman, Gobi, and Gamiviti all make racks that replace the OEM rails and give you a lower profile basket style rack. There's probably a few more as well, these were just the first few that I could think of.

Rhino Rack also has some options. They also make feet to replace the OEM rails that possibly could be adapted to mount the Mega Warrior if you really wanted to keep that.

RCP17-BK.jpg

Looking at a video of an installed mega warrior. I don't think there is as much space as it "looks" like to lower the basket. The support bars of the basket that run longitudinal are nearly sitting on top of the cross bars. Possibly using a cross bar that wasn't arched would lower it a little, but I don't think you'd get 1.5" back.

If you want to keep the bars/basket look there are aftermarket rack options. Ironman, Gobi, and Gamiviti all make racks that replace the OEM rails and give you a lower profile basket style rack. There's probably a few more as well, these were just the first few that I could think of.

I need to look at it closer when it's not raining, but at least on mine there appears to be a good 1.5-2" of extra space in the 4 brackets that attach the basket to the crossbars. I might pry some time out of a machinist buddy and see if he can come up with something that is height adjustable, so I can get it as low as humanly possible.

I need to look at it closer when it's not raining, but at least on mine there appears to be a good 1.5-2" of extra space in the 4 brackets that attach the basket to the crossbars. I might pry some time out of a machinist buddy and see if he can come up with something that is height adjustable, so I can get it as low as humanly possible.
I don't think the space is in the brackets, the space is in that support system that is part of the basket. There are two beams that run parallel with the roof rails that the basket sits on top of. Those rails are pretty much sitting on top of the cross bars. The only way you are going to get that lower is to either spread the cross bars out enough so the basket can fit inside the cross bars (not sure if that's even possible, as it looks like the rack is larger than what the adjustability of the cross bars can extend to. Or to come up with new cross bar that sits lower using something like this.

I don't think the space is in the brackets, the space is in that support system that is part of the basket. There are two beams that run parallel with the roof rails that the basket sits on top of. Those rails are pretty much sitting on top of the cross bars. The only way you are going to get that lower is to either spread the cross bars out enough so the basket can fit inside the cross bars (not sure if that's even possible, as it looks like the rack is larger than what the adjustability of the cross bars can extend to. Or to come up with new cross bar that sits lower using something like this.
Can confirm @j404 having just removed my OEM Yakima roof basket. You're not going to get any 1.5" reduction in height by changing the brackets IMO. I think it's time for a new low profile roof rack. Maybe something by @nakman would be low profile enough for your garage? From what I've seen, it's more than robust enough to handle some luggage and there's multiple tie down points to keep what's on your roof, on your roof!

I think you could get 2" doing an extrusion rail/low-rise bracket linked above. Here's a picture they show of how close it puts the cross bar to the roofline. in this picture, the cross bars on the left and right are in the "high" mount orientation and the one in the middle is in the low orientation. But i also agree, you could get Gamiviti (Nakman) to fab up something exactly to your liking. The mega warrior on factory rack is almost comically high. I think any of the aftermarket basket style racks would fit fine.

04AB2306-DDEA-45E5-8C31-DF736BDFA409_1_105_c.jpg

I had a mega warrior on my lx570 for about 2 years before I just switched to a front runner slimline this black Friday.

The mega warrior was pretty good, it actually carries quite a bit and the basket sides help making strapping things in pretty easy. However it only covers about 2/3 the roof and is noisy as hell

The mega warrior is cheaper though so you can take that into consideration too. I was really interested in the front runner system and all the accessories they make. It's pricey as hell though😭

I don't have immediate plans to get a rtt. But a flat rack opens that up too

And to answer some of the height questions, yeah it's quite a bit shorter without the basket sitting on top of the stock rails. It's gotta be at least 6 inches in difference

Non-serious Option B - air your tires down 1.5" worth..... Could be the reason you need to install a CTIS.

Non-serious Option B - air your tires down 1.5" worth..... Could be the reason you need to install a CTIS.
Option C - have a set of skateboard-esque tires outside your garage along with jacks/stands/air impact gun to make swapping tires "easy" between driving in and out of your garage. That would lower your rig something like a foot!

Definitely wouldn't add any more than an hour to each time you needed to take a drive!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. @lx200inAR you are exactly right. The support bars that go front/rear are basically on the roof rack crossbars. I'm looking into lowering the crossbars to see if I can squeeze a couple inches of room.

Thanks for the reply. If there was a bracket that lowers the factory cross bars I think that would be the easiest solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom