Tire Advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The lift is on and I have decided on 285/75/16s. However I am having a hard time making a decison on which tire to get.

I use the rig mostly for street driving. However, when I go off road it is usually pretty muddy and rocky. I would like a tire that is easy to keep balanced and has decent road manners.

I am looking at the following:

Nitto Terra Grapplers
Cooper STTs
BFG ATs
Revos

I would appreciate your feedback if you run one of these.

josh

I am looking into the Mickey thompson 4 rib ATZ. From what I have read they are a great tire for the street and do very well off-road too. They even look cool. I think you can get them for about $170 a tire. Mickey's are now made by cooper as well so quality has gotten better.
I don't have these tires but when the time comes I will be buying them.
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/310038769252_1_0_1.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking into the Mickey thompson 4 rib ATZ. From what I have read they are a great tire for the street and do very well off-road too. They even look cool. I think you can get them for about $170 a tire. Mickey's are now made by cooper as well so quality has gotten better.
I don't have these tires but when the time comes I will be buying them.
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/310038769252_1_0_1.jpg

I second Old#7. I have those tires and they work great. I'm trying to sell them because I'm going to a 315 now. Mine have very few miles on them. Just got them in March of this year.

I have about 2K on my Cooper STT's and still like them a lot. Only one ride so far but they did great on the trail. I am happy with this choice so far. No real mud as of yet.

Curt

I Have the 285/75 Revos and have been nothing but happy. Great on the road as the 80 is my daily driver and I do quite a few highway miles. Also great on the trails for those weekend trips. Been very pleased going from the LTX.

I Have the 285/75 Revos and have been nothing but happy. Great on the road as the 80 is my daily driver and I do quite a few highway miles. Also great on the trails for those weekend trips. Been very pleased going from the LTX.

2X...and they look good too.

i went with the wrangler mt/r's...they seem to be pretty mild mannered on the hwy/street. Got a pretty good deal on them too at 200 a tire-

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on two vehicles and have had no problems. I use them as DD's and they have also been to Colorado passes and Moab. I have had pretty good wear with mine--the oldest one has 40K miles on them and still has a lot of use life.

I have never done serious mudding with the Nitto's. On what I have done, they seemed to do fine. I am a pretty cautious, not wanting to have to get a 6k pound vehicle unstuck. :D

Just replaced 275/70R16 BFG A/Ts with Cooper Discoverer STTs in 285/75R16. Speedo corrected with Mark's 4WD unit from Slee. On road they are maybe better than the BFGs, so far.

Gonna give 'em a test this weekend at the UFWDA Wheel-In at Oak Ridge. It has been rainy for the last few weeks so there should be plenty 'o slick snotty stuff to negotiate. I will report back after Saturday.

I can't speak about the Cooper STT's but the Aussie's love the Cooper ST's. Excellent street tire with a see through channel that evidently squeezes the mud out better than any AT type tire (although this is far from and AT). The tread is very aggressive and I'd give them a look before you decide.

These are the tires I am considering
Dick Cepek Radial F-C II
These are also now made by Cooper. I am about 4 hours south of you in Texarkana, I was quoted $160 per tire for them at our Cooper Service center. I used to have a set years ago and loved them
Rusty

I LOVE my Cooper's (on my 2nd set on my Tacoma) even though this is an 80s forum - I had to comment!

If you are considering BFG AT in 285/75R16, look also at 295/75R16.

Per BFGs webpage, the 295s are 0.4 inches taller, but only 0.1 inches wider than the 285s.
(33.2 vs 32.8 inches tall)

What size lift?

My last set of new tires (BGF AT) was on my 02 Tacoma, and I was quite happy with them.
I occasionally must deal with snow and ice on the highway. (Durango, CO)
If you don't, something more aggressive may be in order.

My offroad pursuits are generally old wagon and mining roads, and forest service roads. BFG ATs wprl fine for that.

It is lifted? Maybe 295's or 315's... Seen ppl wheel the crap out of trucks with no lift on 285s.

Anyhow. Dont overlook the Hankook MTs.. 10ply like toyos and a very round smooth running tire.. Just not as spendy as a toyo.. They are going for about the same as a cooper STT these days but it si more tire for the money,

Try not to over look these. I use my LX as a DD and I can not say enough about them.. I am very pleased with there performance. On road they stick like glue.. Off road they have not let me down whether it has been in the rocks, snow or mud. The other reason I went with them is they have a 65 psi max pressure. So when I tow from time to time, just air them up and down the road I go.. No Worries! I really think they have been over looked here on mud. Another thing, in my case I really didn't notice a drastic drop in fuel econ. Now the bad: They are not as quite as say an A/T... But what you gain off road far out weighs that. The only other thing is that Firestone doesn't make them in a 35" or 37" So I am going to have to find something else when I step up. :crybaby: OK that's my .02
Dave

fs_destination_mt_owl.gif

Firestone Destination M/T

Trxus MT all the way.

They aren't easy to get balanced, but are easy to keep balanced. For muddy rock and good road manners, perfect tire. You can also go 33x12.5x16 and get some extra width in the 33" size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom