Builds Tiny House Tundra (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
olc4x4.com
The project is to build an expo Tundra that's capable off road, comfortable on the highway without a COG that makes it like driving a sailboat, and finally that has a very comfortable self contained living quarters (4WC).
The build kicked off last May but the wait time on parts has kept the pace somewhat glacial...thus the pics have been pretty boring until now.
Hopefully we'll be making more progress in the next few weeks.
The truck is a '17 SR5 with the 38 gallon tank and 5.7.

Cheers!
20180126_124309.jpg

20180126_161753.jpg

20180201_153217.jpg

Norweld flat bed
20180206_124242.jpg

20180206_131819.jpg

Ugly grille
20180116_143727.jpg
20180116_145808.jpg
Much better
20180330_152829.jpg

With the flat bed and 4WC she's a bit heavy...
The rear springs will be swapped out for Alcans built for 2400 lbs over stock.
The OE hitch/cross member will be replaced by something that retains a receiver, allows good access to the spare, and provides a better departure angle.
The OE exhaust will need to be moved to clear the tool box and mud flaps.
20180207_102358.jpg

Coming along.
02-08-2018 (2).jpg

:popcorn: I’ll be watching this build. Just out of curiosity, can you explain why you are doing things the way you are doing them? Why the flat bed? Looks good!

:popcorn: I’ll be watching this build. Just out of curiosity, can you explain why you are doing things the way you are doing them? Why the flat bed? Looks good!

Thanks!

I'll start with rationale for the flatbed:
- Under bed drawer that opens from the rear and can accommodate large items.
- Two water tanks under the flatbed, between the two I'm thinking it will haul about 25 gallons. I'll measure it all once I have it plumbed.
- Three good size keyed alike storage boxes.
- The ability to conveniently mount attachment points for awnings, tables, etc... Things that couldn't easily be hung of the side of a normal truck bed.
- The larger footprint of the flatbed allows the use of a 4WC Hawk Flatbed model which has a side door, as opposed to the normal rear door on 4WCs. This increase square footage and should allow for a better departure angle.

More later....

:)

Last edited:
It's definitely looking good!

Going with the flat bed makes it look commercially built versus just putting a slide in camper on a truck. You seem to have thought this out and were willing to spend more to do it right.

Looking good Johnny! Are you and the tundra gonna make it to expo??

Fingers crossed but I think I'll have it "ready". Still waiting on a lot of parts but it should be road worthy by then.

Redneck Hammock!!

No doubt!! "You might be a redneck if...you have leaf springs hanging in your trees". ;)

Last edited:
We've been making some good progress on the Tiny House.

SPC UCAS, Bilstein 5100s up front and 5160 bypass shocks with the custom Alcan springs in the rear.

The truck will go on the scales soon, if it's under GVWR it will get an ARB bumper with a Warn M12-S, if still under GVWR after the bumper and winch it will get a set of Slee sliders.

Once all the weight is added we'll likely swap out the 5100s for BP-51s (when available).

Next up KO2s on the Rock Warriors and alignment.

20180430_162931.jpg

Last edited:
Liking this build. Was the original bed 8' or the middle length? (~6'5" IIRC). My Crew Max has a ~5'5" (only bed available on them).

Look forward to seeing the Rock Warrior wheels on there!

Looks awesome~! Watching this for ideas and inspiration

Liking this build. Was the original bed 8' or the middle length? (~6'5" IIRC). My Crew Max has a ~5'5" (only bed available on them).

Look forward to seeing the Rock Warrior wheels on there!

The original bed was 6.5'.

An 8' bed would be cool as you can fit an extra storage compartment between the cab and camper, although the break over angle would suffer. 35s would offset this but the COG would be getting pretty high at that point. A moot point as a single cab truck wouldn't provide enough interior room and they never offered it with a double cab.

RW pics soon

:grinpimp:

FWIW the 8' bed double cab was an option through 2014.

Is that awning smaller than the one that comes on a standard hawk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom