Timing chain tensioner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interested in where this goes. I've got a 95 I just dropped the oil pans on. Huge PITA with the engine still in the truck. Now I've got a ticking noise too. Check my thread for details and I'll be following yours closely. Seems like we're tracking the same problem.

I apologize if this is too obvious or has already been checked, but did the ticking start after you removed and replaced the power steering pump? Any damage to the drive gear can cause a surprisingly loud tick.

Hi, no this started before the pump swap.
and I'll be looking at all that once I get the crank pulley off.
After breaking two breaker bars. And my starter will not budge it. (Even fully charged my battery)
I now tonight pulled the radiator. And put an impact on it. And it didn't move. And I have a pretty nice impact. And 180psi powering it.

It might be seized on there. I even laid under the truck and used my arms and legs on the tires. Nothing but snapping the end of the drive off. My current one has a 3.5ft bar on the end. It's bending the drive at the end.

Going to call a buddy and see if he has more torque on his impact. Then go from there.
What a pita! As I know the fix is under that cover.

When I pulled the plugs. All was good on them.
I did rock the crank and no rod / bearing sounds. But I do hear the timing chain slop.

I'm pretty sure my problem is in that front cover.
I'm bummed I'm going to miss the run this month over it. :-(

I had to use a 3/4" impact and it struggled to loosen it.

We have done over a dozen of them with a 1/2" IR gun, no problem. Must be a bigger issue if they are that hard to remove. Somebody installed them with a monster impact? 300 ft# is on;y 100 # at the end of a 3' lever. not normally a big deal.

I re-torqued mine when I thought I had oil pressure issues. It went to 307lbs.
Now I cant get it off at all. Broke a few bars, snapped some drives off.
11703066_873751766035025_7070897449437450421_n.jpg

Clean snap!
I also used a snap on impact and plenty of air behind it. Nothing. The starter won't move it as well.
Anyone have anything bigger? I'm parked until then.

Guessing the shop that did the work 10M miles back used some really good lock tight on it. Any way to find out? Only takes 300+ degrees to loosen it up. John

Thats a bummer.

The starter bump method worked for me.

Mine busted loose on the second try with 3/4 harbor freight breaker bar duct taped to the frame

you are welcome to borrow my socket and BB. I also have a huge torque wrench available once you have to put it back together.

Anyone with a larger high torque impact?

At what point would you start to worry about the crank bolt shearing off and who put that thing on last, used permanent loctite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom