Timing belt alignment.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on the timing belt. Aisin belt.

Everything was lined up perfect, installed tensioner (have not pulled the pin) and the cams rotated counter clockwise this much.

Crank did not rotate. This doesn't look off a tooth. but concerned that if I pull the pin and full tension is applied that they will be off a tooth....

20190823_191959.jpg

20190823_191955.jpg

I have now done this 5 times. Even if I start with the cams rotates too far clockwise the tensioner pulls it back.

I'm concerned because I can rotate the engine without too much resistance.

I'm about to just start the stupid thing and see if fine.

I found this... I'll post late about why this is poor engineering on Toyotas part.

Following the link I got it to start.

Time to get it back together.

Here's my thoughts. I know this is about 20 years overdue.

Toyota has a history in all other engines I've touched timing belts or chains on (4age, 4afe, 7afe, 5sfe, 3sfe, 22r, even the 5vzfe thathas a similar setup aand more) where there is a clear mark for TDC.

Set the engine at TDC with the cam and crank/simple Mark's lined up then install the belt.

This was the method I followed which DOES NOT WORK.

You set the upper gears to point at the T, then you have to use the belt and the markings on the belt as your guide to where the crank should be. In fact I had to rotate the crank a little each way before it was lined up.

I just can't believe that toyota would make installing the belt dependent on markings on the belt.

I checked my photos @ RightCamTiming.JPG by Pete Pressley and it looks like as long as the dots on the belt match the marks on the gears (All 3!) you are good. Mine is in a slightly different position than yours but I don't have a good shot of the crank gear.

The trick is to rotate the passenger side cam a tooth or two to the reverse with a wrench with your left hand, so you take the tension off the driver'side a bit. That is the side where you need to get the teeth set right. Then put the belt in place with your right hand.
If you do that, then let the tension off the passenger cam, and you can't be off a tooth.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you may have your belt on backwards. Typically, left refers to driver side and right refers to passenger side. I'm not sure if it makes a difference with the 2UZ as I'm still a relative newbie to these trucks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you may have your belt on backwards. Typically, left refers to driver side and right refers to passenger side.

That and the arrows on the belt are supposed to point toward the front of the engine.

I am so surprised that this is so difficult to do for some? U line up cam marks wit marks on cover, pull belt, install new belt, done. Am I missing something? The t marks are the ones you point to when undoing everything. It is the one spot where the cams are least pre-loaded by cam lobes opening valves. Do not try and do the belt with the mark pointing to TDC. the cams will inadvertently rotate and go out of time. Toyota did the thinking for us before hand...

Meh.

Not hard, just not consistent with what they've done in the past and, as I said, it's a problem that the crank isn't referential to anything but the belt. That's why I had a problem. Once I saw a clear diagram it went on first try.

Yes the belt was backwards in the photo above.

That's because most belts don't require references to where they need to point. You align TDC marks and then install the belt, then set the tensioner.

It's not that difficult if you just read the factory service manual steps and use a cam holder tool as described. I got a generic cam holder tool from O Reilly, which is awesome and I would say near essential for this job. You put it on the crank sprocket first, then line up the arrow on the driver's side cam. Then you use your cam tool to rotate the driver's side cam a little to take tension off passenger side cam of belt, and slip it up over the sprocket to line up that arrow.

I watched a Toyota tech do it and when putting the belt on he went from the top. Thats what i did and it went on like a charm. I wonder if everyone tries to go from the bottom while installing belt. Meaning crank frist then cams.
Interesting to see what peiple encounter while doing this job.

If you look at the cam sprockets, you can see that they’re made so that you can slip the belt onto the passenger side cam sprocket last. There’s an outer lip on the driver’s side cam sprocket that prevents you from slipping it on there, so you have to sit it over the drivers side cam before passenger side.

That belt is on wrong. Mark on belt "L CAM" means left cam. Left is driver side in left hand drive USA made vehicle. Think about side as seen when sitting in drive seat.
Checking timing marks c.jpg

This is VVT so looks just a little different. But marks the same.
017c.jpg

018.JPG

013.JPG

Once belt on and tensioner pin pulled. Turn crank CW (as you face it) 720 degrees. The timing marks should all line up. The marks on belt will no longer line up.
Tip: with spark plugs out it easier to turn crank.

Last edited:
The timing mark on engine (oil pump) is 45 degrees CW of top. The timing mark on crank sprocket, lines up with key (keep).

When turning 720 degrees to test all line up. These marks will both line-up and not be offset 45 degrees as seen here.
Timing belt FSM VVT remove c2.jpg

Real time help gents. I finally rotated the crank and saw the markings. Am I doing it correct? Just wanted to make sure first before the remove the crankshaft pulley. There are no markings on the timing belt itself.
1DE40F9B-F28F-4B3D-87BA-D2E6C7E643E6.jpeg

Btw this is an 06 vvti 2uzfe. would appreciate the assistance, thanks in advance.

Your engine is at TDC.

Assemble ensuring the belt to cam (the red arrow in the photo to to markings on the belt), and belt to crank markings as shown by @2001LC in post 16. Install tensioner and pull pin. Spin the engine over 720 deg at the crank (360 degrees at cams) and it should line up as your photos show between the cams/cam covers and crank pulley/ lower cover. Note the belt markings will no longer line up after this.

I don't know where the FSM recommends engine position be for a 2006 (or for that matter my 05), but as long as the above is true you are good to go. I did mine exactly at TDC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom