timing and backfire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, it's usually not that hard. But I've been doing it a long time with several different dizzys. You can "clock" or rotate the dizzy body to any position you need, like get clearance for a vacuum advance diaphragm. You can have your rotor pointing in any direction as long as it is under the #1sparkplug wire at TDC.
I "line up the gears" by deciding where i want my rotor to point then sliding the dizzy in & out, holding the rotor and feeling for the grooves in the gears to mesh, seeing where my rotor points when i push it in. The rotor turns a bit as it slides in and i try the neighboring grooves until i find the one i like. When i have the gears meshed where i want, i then seat the dizzy blade in the oilpump slot.

that's what I did. It starts up just fine and runs, but still no oil pressure...though there was with the drill. Seems like the dizzy isn't all the way in, but it felt like it dropped and there's no shoulder left at the block.
I'll remove the clamp for better visualization and try again...
Golly. Take some measurements of the distributor and depth of the oil pump slot from the block mountiing surfaces

FINALLY!
It's in and pumping oil.

There were two simple problems...
when I pulled the dizzy to change the Eigniton the upper O-ring ripped. I replaced it, but apparently it was just a bit too large.
to compound the problem, one part of the clamp was just a little bent

Thanks to all for the help, and patience

The cork method for finding TDC was
remove plug #1
lightly put a cork in the hole ( tie a string to it to make it easy to find)
use a remote start switch to bump the starter until
when the cork pops out--explosively
check for the BB on the flywheel

It's in and pumping oil.
I think our job here is done.
Hopefully you learned something?
How's that ancient Japanese saying go...
"Set a man's 40's timing and it'll run for a year,
Teach a man to set his 40's timing and it'll run forever"?
I think that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom