Time to start project LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bowtiestang

Speak of the devil and he shall appear
Threads
Started on the LX and made some headway and had a few set backs also:hmm:

First off the thing was boiling over after it was shut off...no big deal..throw a cap on it...it helped but was still loosing PSI..found a slight leak at the little nipple on the top tank..gave it a wiggle:idea: broke off:bang:...no big deal...just fix it

File smooth:

IMG_20130814_172607_zpsf43a8772.jpg

Drill:

IMG_20130814_172544_zps50260fb7.jpg

Tap:

IMG_20130814_172750_zps0a5b9486.jpg

Install bad ass custom Bowtiestang nipple:

IMG_20130814_173656_zps1a143174.jpg

Time for PHH and rear heated bypass (BTW the PHH is a cake walk...why is everyone whining about how hard it is..45 min start to finish :wrench:). :

old junk

IMG_20130818_142755_zps237af5fa.jpg

New junk:

IMG_20130818_165458_zpsdb2be7c4.jpg

Flush system, put in new coolant, test drove....front of top tank leaks like a MOFO! Flush must of cleaned out all the stop leak from the PO:bang:

Waste of time on rad repair...ordering new:censor:

Last edited:
Time to de-mall Cruiser it:

Here is the custom brush guard and running boards:

IMG_20130817_121545_zps3ebba303.jpg

Hour or so latter pile of junk:

IMG_20130818_142803_zps5f5c8c25.jpg

IMG_20130818_145825_zps0b063b2e.jpg

Now its looking a little better:grinpimp:

IMG_20130818_142853_zps950c96cc.jpg

IMG_20130818_142831_zps520632a4.jpg

Later this week I need to do the 7 pin and CDL switch and new rad.
Over the next month or two small lift and Detroit Locker:steer:

"cause that's not the phh:grinpimp:

"cause that's not the phh:grinpimp:

Since I didnt post a pic of the PHH not sure what you are referring too:hmm:
Well it is in the pic of all the old hoses. I think you are looking at the rear heater bypass..

You must be one of those that takes 5 hours to do it:flipoff2:

Last edited:
I am glad to see someone post up thier project!

Maybe this isnt the right place to bring this up, but...There are many people that I have talked to that are doing something to thier rig that wont post it up. I am talking projects or mods from mild to wild. Just check the first two pages of CSC threads. Hardly anything big or small.

The board is entertaining as it is but I personally would enjoy the technical stuff (or the "look what I did this weekend") that covers more about what people are doing to thier Land Cruisers. This isnt anything new, Ive been hearing this for the last few years.

The reasons I was told why "they" dont want to post up stuff was:
a) criticism of what they did in some form, or
b) being judged for having "deep pockets" to afford that newer rig/mod/project.

Just reporting what Ive heard many times. dont get me wrong, I advocate debate and positive constructive ideas and feedback - not just fluff. I just thought Id post this up for people to consider.

Sorry for the hijack

I don't think those parts are "custom".

Nice attempt at fixing the radiator...bummer it didn't work! I like the color of the hoses you have replaced. Seems like a good idea, you'll be able to tell quickly which hoses have been changed.

Someone may want your takeoff parts...you should list on 'mud. Probably not a lot of value...but who knows, it's getting harder and harder to find factory running boards.

Keep up the good work! Looks like you are getting a good baseline for your 80!

PHH should be cake with those little hands :) I paid someone to replace mine...

Now I know why Kevin and John never want to get a whopper for lunch :grinpimp:

Last edited:
I am glad to see someone post up thier project!

Maybe this isnt the right place to bring this up, but...There are many people that I have talked to that are doing something to thier rig that wont post it up. I am talking projects or mods from mild to wild. Just check the first two pages of CSC threads. Hardly anything big or small.

The board is entertaining as it is but I personally would enjoy the technical stuff (or the "look what I did this weekend") that covers more about what people are doing to thier Land Cruisers. This isnt anything new, Ive been hearing this for the last few years.

The reasons I was told why "they" dont want to post up stuff was:
a) criticism of what they did in some form, or
b) being judged for having "deep pockets" to afford that newer rig/mod/project.

Just reporting what Ive heard many times. dont get me wrong, I advocate debate and positive constructive ideas and feedback - not just fluff. I just thought Id post this up for people to consider.

Sorry for the hijack

apologizing for continuing the hijack for a moment

I thought about this for a while before I started the "DSRTRDR getting TLC" thread in the 40s section the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . .:

over the years, I have often posted up my mangleage here on the CSC forum, since many of you were on the trail with me when it happened, and then sometimes posted pics of repairs, too

but now, with the extended Spa-stay of the 40, there are so many things done that are of general interest to a 40s crowd more than a crowd of mixed truck owners, I chose the tech forum as the venue for the build thread

similarly, Michael started a thread in the 80s forum about our 80s - (although I posted my front brake failure on the 80 here at the time, considering there was precedent ;p)

many other local clubhouses have their own: "what did you do to/with your cruiser this week" threads - CSC doesn't, maybe we want to ?

Last edited:

LOL WTF:D

But I am 6' 1" and 240 lbs, dont have huge arms and hands but not small either..But that PHH is easy.. But I was a mechanic for 22 years:idea: I was a little worried about it after reading the nightmares of the PHH...pulled the tire took a look and was like bunch of sissy's :grinpimp:

I don't think those parts are "custom".

Nice attempt at fixing the radiator...bummer it didn't work! I like the color of the hoses you have replaced. Seems like a good idea, you'll be able to tell quickly which hoses have been changed.

Someone may want your takeoff parts...you should list on 'mud. Probably not a lot of value...but who knows, it's getting harder and harder to find factory running boards.

Keep up the good work! Looks like you are getting a good baseline for your 80!

PHH should be cake with those little hands :) I paid someone to replace mine...

Now I know why Kevin and John never want to get a whopper for lunch :grinpimp:

HEY! this is custom work lol

DSCF2091_zps304c6fb6.jpg

Took the one on the left, cut the nut off, turned down the shaft on the lathe then tapped it to 12-24..all for nothing:doh:

About posting small projects:

I think small things like PM work, lifts ect should be posted on club pages...it lets other members know what locals can help them with work and mods.(some folks are better mechanics than others). Not everyone has the $$$ to pay for this stuff and its nice to have someone nearby to help them. This stuff has been covered a million times on the tech pages, but its nice to have club members to help and know who can do the work.

Other things are better on the national pages, like my old 80 bumper build:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/563915-time-build-rear-bumper.html

This I think can help lots of Mud members that cant drop $1200 on a bumper.
This was done with hand tools and for well under $200.00.

I will be doing another rear bumper build with a few changes of improvement
and will post that in the 80 tech pages.

Last edited:
Love the light and logo on the fender. Do you know what happened to the stock LX450 wheels?

The PO daughter took them for her Land Cruiser...I like the Cruiser wheels better and had 2 spares that matched :D

The JDM ricer side lights are in bad shape...think I will put some OEM Toyotas in place of them...actually like the look of them....guess I am a ricer:eek:

The logos look ok so they can stay.

Are the side lights cracked or have they hazed? If they aren't cracked I will trade you my oem side lights for your clears.

Also I love your avatar picture. Did you get it from reddit?

Nice LX, love the color! For me there's still just something about a stock looking 80, just love the lines and stance, even with running boards. My first two were bone stock and loved them. Love'em all. Good work so far.

To Murf's/Claudia and others post...I absolutely agree, would love to see more tech on the CSC forum. I love the idea of having a "What did you do" thread locally. I know I have had reluctance to post things in the main Tech forum. Many get flamed for not searching, but how are you supposed to build up your posts number if you just search all the time...plus it's fun to get responses to threads you've started and get feedback. Might be safer with the local crowd who've 'been there done that'.

Maybe should start a separate thread to discuss so as to not keep interfering with OP's fun.

there's a thread in the sticky section on top of this forum now ;)

LOL WTF:D

But I am 6' 1" and 240 lbs, dont have huge arms and hands but not small either..But that PHH is easy.. But I was a mechanic for 22 years:idea: I was a little worried about it after reading the nightmares of the PHH...pulled the tire took a look and was like bunch of sissy's :grinpimp:

Awesome, then when do you want to do mine :D ? I have a set of OEM corner lights and turn signals needing a good home:)

Awesome, then when do you want to do mine :D ? I have a set of OEM corner lights and turn signals needing a good home:)

Bring it on down...I even have extra silicon hose and liner clamps:D

BTW I just picked up a Aussie Locker for the rear in the classified...woot woot!
I will post the install of that also.

Picked up my radiator, belts and hoses today..hoping to get time this weekend to install them...wish I could make the run this weekend but its not looking good :(

there's a thread in the sticky section on top of this forum now ;)

Thanks! Didn't even notice. I was only a day late to the party. :bang:

Gut that motor! Time for a GM transplant! :)

I found a 6.0l GMC van for $2500 :) not a bad donor vehicle lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom