Time to move on to GMRS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought it was just me having issues with that FCC website… we’ll see how it goes when my HAM license is up late next year. I plan on keeping that active.
I got so frustrated with the online ham renewal, I printed out the Form 605 (or whatever it was) filled it out the best I could and sent it in without $$$. 3 weeks later I have my license. Of course, this was at teh height of Covid hysteria

I agree with what you said @izzyandsue technically. The fact that my wife or friend or whoever, can log in and buy a GMRS license and buy a radio from their phones at home is a big advantage. Not a single friend or family member I have talked to has interest in studying and scheduling a test for a HAM license (no matter how easy it is). I think GMRS is great because it’s the best performance for the least burden.
Just freaking boot leg. I was in the Death Valley area, mountain-topping....and on the default 2m freq that Baofengs are set, I heard all sorts of comm and no call signs.

it's been a while since I looked at this but I am under the impression that there is a band(s?) for GMRS where you don't need a license. Or was it that you don't need a license if less than a certain power but do need it for more? How does this work again?
You need a license but you don't need to test for license. You pay a fee and get issued a FCC GRMS license with your call sign. Not the same as a walkie talkie from a box store.

I think I remember the free alternative I was thinking about. It's MURS, no license IIRC. Limitation to something around 2 W from memory, so not a great deal more than FRS, but possibly a better antenna.

On the hardware side, is it still the case that those inexpensive radios like the Baofeng UV-5 etc are not FCC certified for the GMRS bands? IIRC there were some issues with noise?

About GMRS, I hear there are repeaters. Is it like the HAM repeater complicated process or more streamlined?

I think I remember the free alternative I was thinking about. It's MURS, no license IIRC. Limitation to something around 2 W from memory, so not a great deal more than FRS, but possibly a better antenna.

On the hardware side, is it still the case that those inexpensive radios like the Baofeng UV-5 etc are not FCC certified for the GMRS bands? IIRC there were some issues with noise?

About GMRS, I hear there are repeaters. Is it like the HAM repeater complicated process or more streamlined?
Not sure how the repeaters operate but yes you can hit a repeater. I know in Albuquerque, NM there is a GRMS club that is free and you can access the repeaters if your a member. Soon after getting my radio I moved and have not had an opportunity to use it.

Just freaking boot leg. I was in the Death Valley area, mountain-topping....and on the default 2m freq that Baofengs are set, I heard all sorts of comm and no call signs.
The 'call sign every 10 minutes' thing is something I've forgotten more than once.
The BF UV5R etc. radios can receive & transmit on GMRS channels, but are not FCC certified. I've read about signal bleeds. Baofeng makes a mobile 50W GMRS radio now that has FCC certification (but I haven't read the fine print).

The 'call sign every 10 minutes' thing is something I've forgotten more than once.

The BF UV5R etc. radios can receive & transmit on GMRS channels, but are not FCC certified. I've read about signal bleeds. Baofeng makes a mobile 50W GMRS radio now that has FCC certification (but I haven't read the fine print).
I think under the BTECH name, few radios.

I have two Wouxun KG-935Gs on the way, should be testing them this weekend.

BurntToast , It's been 6 months. How are the Wouxun KG-935Gs working out for you? Pros / Cons? I'm still on the fence.

Thanks, Jim

BurntToast , It's been 6 months. How are the Wouxun KG-935Gs working out for you? Pros / Cons? I'm still on the fence.

Thanks, Jim
Hey Jim,

They work great! No complaints here. I got some Nayagoya antennas to play with, but haven’t tested yet.

I’ll pick up a k1000g+ for the truck when I finish it up

Thanks , Jim

I thought it was just me having issues with that FCC website… we’ll see how it goes when my HAM license is up late next year. I plan on keeping that active.
Ok. So far, so good. I went to the FCC website to renew my HAM license. Quite a different experience this time compared to last year when I tried to renew my GMRS license. This time the navigation was fairly straightforward, and after a bunch of clicks and some typing, they actually took my money. Today I have an e-mail that my applications (one for the renewal of the HAM license, one for a new GMRS license) have been approved, together with a download link. I haven't clicked that yet, will try tonight after work, we'll see.

P.S. Haven't done anything about GMRS radios yet, but that'll come soon. The group I mostly hang with has switched to GMRS, and 'wheeling season in AZ is about to commence.

Last edited:
I just got my call sign today. I'm waiting on my radio to be delivered Wednesday. I went with the Retevis ra87 and MR300 antenna kit. They had it on sale for 239 shipped which I thought was a good deal.

There are now two Baofeng GM-15 Pro handhelds and a Baofeng GMRS 50V2 as well as a GMRS-suitable SWR meter in my possession.

I haven’t solved the antenna issue yet, currently there’s a mag-mounted Nagoya Ut-72G on the truck. The 50V2 fits in the mounting brackets where the Kenwood/Yaesu HAM radios lived (they’re still in the vehicles, in a bag). The old HAM SWR meter sez the 50V2 puts out 45-ish watts; the GMRS SWR meter sez it’s 26 watts on high power... we’ll see what’s up when the antenna issue is finalized. And I need to measure when away from buildings. Comms on the first two trail rides (one in the K5, the other one in the ‘93; both have the same wiring so the radio just plugs in) worked well.

I wanted the Wouxun kg1000 plus radio but availability seems an issue. Not sure yet what’ll go in the other vehicles; at this point it’ll be just handhelds.
As for antennas, for 2m HAM a 1/4 wave antenna made from flexible Nitinol wire (from signalstuff.com ) on the fender has held up really well to trail abuse and gave good comms. I’m trying to replicate that setup for GMRS over the holidays.

I recently moved to Las Cruces and all the offroad groups use GMRS. Been using the Baofeng uv5r handheld, works great and just got an older Kenwood TM880 mobile unit to install. Glad to hear the FCC did some work to make their site a little more user friendly !

I feel like I gotta be like this now

GBAeuBSb0AAkn-8.jpeg

That ought to make it possible to melt all that frosty stuff, no? 🤔

Last edited:
What do y'all think of this one?

Maybe a bit too much stuff for me. Main reason is eyesight - I’m having problems with small screens. Case in point: I realized that I can’t determine the power setting on the 50V2 display with a quick glance - at least not at the factory color settings. Contrast of the red too low, yellow works better, and as I get used to that radio it won’t be an issue. But lots of info on a small screen/display is becoming a no-go for me. [Well. Both my Mac mini and my MacBook Pro drive a 4K 55 inch TV as the main display….]
What do y'all think of this one?

My son, who at 13 years old, is a ham operator and radio guru, brings home all sorts of radio equipment. He volunteers with the local communications shop to learn and on occasion, get freebies. He assisted with upgrading a local EMS unit recently and brought home the Vertex VX-6000 that the unit had been running. This is a dual control head, remotely mounted, 100W GMRS capable unit. We bench tested it after programming in the local repeaters and GMRS simplex channels and this thing is a monster. It pulls over 25 amps at 15VDC. The EMS unit claimed to have talked simplex 75 miles away. Its old, and heavy, but has some assemblies made in Japan. My only concern with mounting it in my 40 is that the factory alternator will be stressed out if a guy carries on any sort of enduring conversation. Might have to drop the output down to 20 watts or so. We obviously don't need to operate at the legal max of 50w on GMRS if we are in an off-road group.

And to think I was contemplating buying one of those high dollar midland radios. :rofl:

Motorola/Vertex, or Kenwood all the way. We've been using the Motorola XPR7550e UHF around town and such, these radios are soo much nicer than the walkie talkies I had as a kid. The texting feature is nice also, especially over the repeaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom