Time to move on to GMRS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have HAM radios in two of my trail trucks: a Yaesu 2m in the K5, and a Kenwood 71 in the '93. Both work reasonably well with either a flexible 2m 1/4 wavelength antenna, or a 2/70 which is 1/2 wl on 2m. I've made contacts up to 45 miles away.

Overall utility of HAM for me turns out to be pretty much negligible. Main comm tool with the folks on the trails with me is CB; I think one other person besides me holds a HAM license. Listening to repeaters around here - there's not much if anything going on. Simplex on 146.520 - maybe, just maybe there's someone on, usually grumbling about government and 2nd amendment. I've led trails where everyone was supposed to be on 2m, yet most folks didn't have a license and were only listening - not really a good situation. Haven't attended events like CruiseMoab in a decade, but I'll worry about that if/when I go again.

CB is usually sufficient, but we've had some situations where more powerful comms would have been very useful. My wife - who drives her own vehicle on trails - doesn't want to bother with getting a HAM license. So I think it'll be GMRS, perhaps some of those 50W Wouxun 1000 units that are listed with FCC certification. I will need to renew my GMRS license, I let it lapse after problems with linking my license to the page where you can make a payment.

Anyone have input on radios and/or antennas? For 2m, I've had good luck with flexible antennas made out of Nitinol; I suppose I can cut that to match.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat and purchased a used Kenwood TK880 off ebay. Most of these are commercial radios from city vehicles school buses, snow plows etc. I got mine for for $80 and the local 4x4 club had the software to reprogram it. Not fancy but built really well. It has been a good radio. I think it is rated at 45 watts.

I added a GMRS as well. Just went handheld this time with a Retevis RB17p. I have a few friends who have HTs for trail comms. I was hoping they would go Ham as well, but no dice. Seems like it's a good alternative for line of sight and trail stuff. The $35 license, and no test was a selling point for them as well.

Based on some research the Wouxon 1000, Midland radios and Radioddity DB20 seem pretty popular, also as Rgill mentioned used commercial radios can be reprogrammed for GMRS (its a grey area since they are technically licensed for commercial only). For antennas, the 70cm/440 ham antennas can be trimmed to get them to work well enough in the GMRS range. You can get a lot more options in that with NMO mounts. The Midland higher gain antennas for GMRS seem to be popular as well.

Last edited:
GMRS worked well on a Moab trip this fall, just as good as 70cm simplex. Forget renewing your licence, I tried to do that but it's basically impossible and the arcane FCC CORES website won't tell you that. Just apply for a new one.

GMRS worked well on a Moab trip this fall, just as good as 70cm simplex. Forget renewing your licence, I tried to do that but it's basically impossible and the arcane FCC CORES website won't tell you that. Just apply for a new one.
I thought it was just me having issues with that FCC website… we’ll see how it goes when my HAM license is up late next year. I plan on keeping that active.

Last edited:
I thought it was just me having issues with that FCC website… we’ll see how it goes when my HAM license is up late next year. I plan on keeping that active.
I had to renew my license in March and it took me hours to finally get a online renewal completed. Then had no feed back if it was successful, about a month later my status showed a new expiration date.

For an antenna, a 1/4 wave at 465Mhz is only 6.03 inches and should have plenty of range for trail usage. Sounds like you might have an NMO mount, if so it'd be an easy and inexpensive solution.

One of my setups is a magnet mount with a 2m 1/4 wave steel antenna held in with a set screw. I've used that to insert a brass piece and cut it until I liked the SWR readings. I figure I can use that, and instead of brass use nitinol wire. That material conducts well but is very flexible. I have a Nitinol 2m 1/4 wave antenna on the fender of my K5 that has worked well. I've broken one of these in dense brush, but that was driver error, not the fault of the antenna.

I'd get the Wouxun 980 instead of the 1000 since you could transmit on 11m (CB), 10m, 6m, 2m, 70cm and GMRS if you have no qualm about unlocking it. Note that on CB channels, the 980 will transmit only on FM (not AM) so only the newer CB radios with FM capability will be able to communicate with it.

With that said, I mounted both on the rig, the 1000 and the 980. One is dedicated to just FRS/GMRS and the other to HAM so I can listen/monitor to both at the same time.

As for antenna, I use three different ones: Melowave Overlander for FRS/GMRS; Hustler sticks for HF (11m and 10m); MFJ Quad for 10/6/2/440.

Last edited:
it's been a while since I looked at this but I am under the impression that there is a band(s?) for GMRS where you don't need a license. Or was it that you don't need a license if less than a certain power but do need it for more? How does this work again?

Cruise Moab switched to FRS/GMRS radios this year for the official communications. So it seems to be turning into the adopted method of off-road communications. All the SxS’ers are doing it.

I know that FRS does not need a license but those are limited to 5W or so, no?

I did go through the whole Ham experience, license, full equipment and all. May be the ticket if you're lost in the desert with nobody within miles, but for close proximity trail commo, it's just overkill, TBH.

Looking at the Midland MXT 500 for the 40. Need an IP66 rated radio. Will also have my Yaesu Ht. Thinking 18" antenna with NMO mount for the GMRS.
Following your threads on this Michael and wondering what Claudia will use in the 40.

Looking at the Midland MXT 500 for the 40. Need an IP66 rated radio. Will also have my Yaesu Ht. Thinking 18" antenna with NMO mount for the GMRS.
Following your threads on this Michael and wondering what Claudia will use in the 40.
Some of the Wouxun ones are ip66/67. Not sure the midlands are

In my experience, it depends where you live or where you travel to, terrain matters. CB for short distance, or open spaces with line of sight works. FRS is great for convoy in trails vehicle to vehicle (5W max channel 1-7, then 0.5W channel 9-14), same as GMRS (50W max on channel 15-22), and both work in the 70cm wave range of around 460-467Mhz. The biggest difference with ham is you can try many other frequencies if the FRS/GMRS bands are not working for you, tweak the radio a bit and can get commo. Traveling in the east, NC, WV, VA mountains often times ham is the only option, to reach a repeater, when down in the WV hollers with Mags Bennett. Out in NM or AZ BLM lands, CB works fine. Older GMRS radios (pre-2017) could do FRS and GMRS, in 2019 the FCC separated the services for more power in GMRS and no more dual service radios.
You can have both, ham license and GMRS license by adding it on the FCC registration (if you have a ham license), that way use one radio for all as long as you stay within the power guidelines. I prefer the flexibility of the ham, and it's not that hard, look up the boy scouts training modules for free online, easy to pass.

I agree with what you said @izzyandsue technically. The fact that my wife or friend or whoever, can log in and buy a GMRS license and buy a radio from their phones at home is a big advantage. Not a single friend or family member I have talked to has interest in studying and scheduling a test for a HAM license (no matter how easy it is). I think GMRS is great because it’s the best performance for the least burden.

.. I prefer the flexibility of the ham, and it's not that hard, look up the boy scouts training modules for free online, easy to pass.
I've heard that line many, many times.
While true, it's simply not practical for my situation.
I'll keep my tech license, the radios & antennas will remain in the trucks, but that's it.

Internet "research" says Midland 500 is "system-on-a-chip"; Wouxun is super-heterodyne, supposedly with better selectivity.

I don't have a good plan yet on what to put into the FJ40, and where. The body of the CB radio - a COBRA 75WX - is currently in the tool box under the driver's seat, with the mic bouncing on the passenger seat. I'm thinking overhead mount on the roll cage, but that'll require prior approval...

For the K5, I've had the dash apart; that required removal of the AM/FM radio (that I never listen to anyways). Haven't put it back, and I'm now wondering if this will be the place for a GMRS unit. Antenna mounts are on the fenders; stuff doesn't last very long on the roof.

For the '93, I have an aluminum plate behind the console that holds both the HAM and CB. The HAM is on a quick-disconnect plug; I just need that same plug on a GMRS unit to provide (fused) power. Mount the GMRS in place of the HAM radio, and the HAM will migrate into a storage box. HAM antenna is mag-mount anyways, so it'll be easy to switch to a GMRS antenna (and back to HAM, if needed).

Generally speaking, I want radios that carry the correct FCC certification. I've done the BF-UV5R-on-GMRS-channels thing, and I don't want to bother with that anymore.

Last edited:
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Wouxun. I could use that in the LX and toss the CB. The yaesu 7900 was removed from the Fj Cruiser and will also be going in the Lx . We recently acquired a Spot for when we really need help.

Rootbeer could accommodate a GMRS on the Tuffy where the current CB is, or overhead on the roll cage. I could make a surround for it and keep it dry.

Cheers, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom