Time to build a rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bowtiestang

Speak of the devil and he shall appear
Threads
Bowtie rear bumper build

Two things are forcing me to build a rear bumper....that stupid low receiver hitch, I mean WTF:flipoff2: and that damn spare tire mounted under the truck:doh:

So this isnt going to be hi tech...just needs to mount my spare, Hi-lift and maybe a fuel can. I wanted to use the OEM 4 hitch mounting bolts as my center mount for the bumper and found this.....

SANY0095-1.jpg

So I have a few choices:

1. Cut out rusted hitch mount and weld new in.
2. Weld in receiver hitch in the OEM mount holes location (and new bumper).
3. Cut the rear cross member out and just mount my new bumper.

If I cut out just the damage this is what needs to come out:

SANY0096.jpg

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm: I need to sleep on this....

Anyway I need to buy some steel only stuff I had around the shop was this 5/16 thick stuff and I think it may be a little much! May save it for the winch plate-mount. Well this is my scrap 5/16...must weight 75lbs :)

SANY0080.jpg

SANY0082.jpg

I was thinking 3/16 would be good?? What are you guys building your rear bumper out of??

Well thats it for now...if you have any good ideas or links to your bumpers feel free to post. I am really open on this project to try things:grinpimp:

Last edited:
What are you guys building your rear bumper out of??

Luke's DIY kit (4x4 Labs).

Seriously. For the price, you'll be paying a good chunk of that in steel alone.

Yep, what Ebag said.

I dont really like the looks of the Labs bumper! Also hasnt there been some issues with folks getting all there parts at the same time and or in a timely manner with Labs?

Anyway I get good pricing on steel plus already have a lot of what I need....guessing I will have around $400 total in it.

And dont you know?? Real men build $hit...not buy it:flipoff2: :lol:

Just finished this one this weekend. Pretty much a copy of a design ive seen here several places. Everything is 3/16ths and 1/4. I really wanted a 4x4 labs but couldent swing the cost. I have about 250 into this one.

It was dark by the time I got the thing on the truck last night. I will get some pics in the day light.

I cut the frame in about the same place as the 4x4 labs ones.
2x4 rear tube
2x6 wings
Clevis mounts from atoz
IPOR spindle
2x4 quarter inch chanel for the towing cross member

photo32.jpg

Last edited:
cant wait for the finished pics. Will be doing this soon as well.

Just finished this one this weekend. Pretty much a copy of a design ive seen here several places. Everything is 3/16ths and 1/4. I really wanted a 4x4 labs but couldent swing the cost. I have about 250 into this one.

It was dark by the time I got the thing on the truck last night. I will get some pics in the day light.

I cut the frame in about the same place as the 4x4 labs ones.
2x4 rear tube
2x6 wings
Clevis mounts from atoz
IPOR spindle
2x4 quarter inch chanel for the towing cross member

Did you figure out what was up with that false bottom on your rig?

Did you figure out what was up with that false bottom on your rig?

Yea 99.9% sure it was used to carry drugs, its welded in there real well so its been a huge pain to cut out. Going to get a welding blanket this week so i can lay under the grinder to get it cut out. Ill start a thread when I get it cut out "Whats the strangest thing you have found in or on your cruiser".

Also hasnt there been some issues with folks getting all there parts at the same time and or in a timely manner with Labs?

Not really. There has been a couple people who have been missing parts, but that happens from time to time. AFAIK Luke's made it right with them. I got all my parts for the DIY kit I ordered a few months back.

Anyway I get good pricing on steel plus already have a lot of what I need....guessing I will have around $400 total in it.

So.....basically the price of a DIY kit? :lol:

And dont you know?? Real men build $hit...not buy it:flipoff2: :lol:

I built both of my bumpers. That's kinda the idea of a DIY kit. :flipoff2:

Nothing wrong with doing your own bumper, it's always interesting to see where people go with them. Just making a point that Luke's kit is pretty hard to beat. If you want to do your own thing, that's cool too.

It would be a cool project to take on if I only had some welding skills!

So.....basically the price of a DIY kit? :lol:

No!
Double swing out bumper- kit $995

I already have the spindles and HD recovery tabs just need to work on designs. I will post a parts list and cost when done so folks can guess what a low buck build can cost.

Main thing I can stand on the labs bumper is the sides....just dont work for me.

Last edited:

I like:D Gave me some ideas...problem is I have more ideas than one bumper can handle:D

But I must say this bumper is the $hit....I cant find much not to like about the Slee bumper....NICE!
But damn my pay check wont let it happen.... :crybaby:

http://api.***.com/api/click?format=go&key=adf0a72d922ed160d68ae75920f384de&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.ih8mud.com%2Fca-socal-80s%2F434952-new-slee-rear-bumper.html&v=1&libid=1329781824204&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sleeoffroad.com%2Fforum_pics%2F80_double.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3Dpartner-pub-1374792761471075%253Ah31w3ml6z7y%26cof%3DFORID%253A10%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dslee%2Brear%2Bbumper%26sa%3D%2527MUDSearch%26siteurl%3Dforum.ih8mud.com%252F%26ref%3D%26ad%3Dn9%26num%3D10%26rurl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.ih8mud.com%252Fsearchresults.php%253Fcx%253Dpartner-pub-1374792761471075%25253Ah31w3ml6z7y%2526cof%253DFORID%25253A10%2526ie%253DISO-8859-1%2526q%253Dslee%252Brear%252Bbumper%2526sa%253D%252527MUDSearch%2526siteurl%253Dforum.ih8mud.com%25252F%2526ref%253D&title=NEW%20Slee%20Rear%20Bumper&txt=%3Cimg%20src%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sleeoffroad.com%2Fforum_pics%2F80_double.jpg%22%20border%3D%220%22%20alt%3D%22%22%20style%3D%22max-width%3A%20800px%22%3E&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13297822116115

Last edited:
Well last night I decided the factory cross-member needed to die:skull: and just cut it off. Today I worked on my patterns for a little bit. And have decided to build it from 3/16 6" flat stock....thats all for now because mama is making me take her to lunch:)

SANY00802.jpg

SANY0087.jpg

SANY0086-1.jpg

Has anyone just flipped the OEM receiver over and use it with there new bumper?
I am going to try it :hillbilly: Sits almost even with the bottom of the frame..

SANY00812.jpg

Ok back to the garage:cheers:

Last edited:
By trimming it, you lost a bunch of strength. It needs support in multiple planes.

This has been done before, but you need a cross member behind it for support.

By trimming it, you lost a bunch of strength. It needs support in multiple planes.

This has been done before, but you need a cross member behind it for support.

After I see how it fits with the bumper I will lay out some more brackets/mounts.
I dont think it "lost a bunch of strength". I cut one bolt hole out of each side that mounted in a crap weld nut in the frame. Hell it will gain strength after I am don with it:D Heaviest I will ever tow with the cruiser is maybe 1300 LBS pop up and I can lift that and move it by hand, so I am not too concerned.

I think this is my final design :hmm: If I still like it tomorrow I will start welding..

SANY0083.jpg

SANY00862.jpg

SANY0084.jpg

SANY00852.jpg

You'd be surprised at how much stability and strength that wing can provide. And the "crap weld nut in the frame" isn't welded in place for strength, it's welded in place to keep it from spinning. The bolt is what provides the strength.

Given that for that size bolt you could just about pick up the entire truck before it's gonna shear....

The point is that by eliminating that extra mounting point, you're removing support for that in one dimension. You have support side to side (it'd have to rip off one side of the frame) and decent strength front to back, but very little strength twisting around it's axis.

Just weld a cross member in place behind it (ala the 4x4 Labs bumper, among others), no big deal.

You can see my extra crossmember in mine used a piece of 2x4 .25 channel behing the main shell.

One question i had, of course i was using tube and you are using sheet so you have more flexability, is following the goofy body line at the very back of the truck. It moves upward and inward. Your wing seems to follow it well but i cant tell if before you angle down to hit the rear bumper is that section higher than the end of fhe wing clostest to the tire?

Thanks

After I see how it fits with the bumper I will lay out some more brackets/mounts.
I dont think it "lost a bunch of strength". I cut one bolt hole out of each side that mounted in a **** weld nut in the frame. **** it will gain strength after I am don with it:D Heaviest I will ever tow with the cruiser is maybe 1300 LBS pop up and I can lift that and move it by hand, so I am not too concerned.

I think this is my final design :hmm: If I still like it tomorrow I will start welding..

Looks killer! Cant wait to see it in person.. You will have it done this weekend right? HAHA :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom