Tiling a shower questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am going to attempt to finish our master bathroom shower. It is currently sitting in the raw with green board walls and a custom rubber tub. Here is what I have learned so far:

I need to wrap the threshold in metal lath
I need to lay deck mud for the shower floor.
I need to put up a vapor barrier followed by hardiboard followed by taping the seams.
I need to build in a bench and some shelves for the wife "products."
Dimensions are: 38"Dx55"Wx9'H

Here are some questions I have:

The tile shop recommends Deck mud for the floor. The home depot expert recommends topping sand. What's the difference for use in a shower?
How much slope should I build into the floor, existing is 3/4".
I have read tar paper is a good vapor barrier. The tile shop recommends craft paper or something called Redguard. What is best?
Should the hardiboard be installed before the deck mud or after the deck mud? In other words should I pour mud up against the hardiboard?
I would like to do a corner bench seat out of slate. How do you support a seat that large?

The plan is to use slate for the floor and travertine for the walls. I will also be deciding on some sort of design element to work into the tile.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

I always use the Schluter -DITRA system when I use tile. It is a vaper barrier and water proofing system in one step.

Here is there website on the stuff. Specifically looks at the installation sequence to see how to make it water proof. You can put the stuff right over your green board.

Schluter-DITRA - Schluter-Systems

snobdds said:
I always use the Schluter -DITRA system when I use tile. It is a vaper barrier and water proofing system in one step.

Here is there website on the stuff. Specifically looks at the installation sequence to see how to make it water proof. You can put the stuff right over your green board.

Schluter-DITRA - Schluter-Systems

Cool stuff. But in reading the installation info I didn't see anything specific to shower applications, specifically walls. I may give them a call to see what they say.

Cool stuff. But in reading the installation info I didn't see anything specific to shower applications, specifically walls. I may give them a call to see what they say.

It can be used in tub surrounds. They do have a section, under projects...

Tile Tub Surround - Schluter-Systems

Not trying to sell you on there stuff, but it is a high quality product. We used it on a mountain property that sees large swings in tempature and humity between winter and summer and it's held up great. No cracking of grout lines or moisture leaks. :cheers:

Probably the "system" approach is best. But if you don't go that way... I would use cement board and not green board ... also heavy weight plastic wrap between the studs and the cement board. ALSO make sure the tile you are using is impervious to water - some ceramics will absorb water ... the better quality (eg "porcelain" ) are available with very low water absorption

A second on the Schluter system. Their floor has the slope and everything integrated, no need for sand or mortar beds. Everything seals up. Pretty foolproof. If you've been doing mud beds for thirty years and are proficient with it, by all means go for it. But if this is your first time, just go with Schluter and you're set.

We have some recessed shelves in our walk in shower. Just an idea. We have a corner seat, too. Not much of a seat per say, but enough. The corner seat is actually an aluminum tray filled with concrete and just the top is tiled. They simply bolted it into the wall and it's pretty strong.
recessed_shelves.jpg
recessed_shelves2.jpg
corner seat.jpg

If you search in this section I have a thread somewhere on my shower rebuild. I put all the steps. I went overkill and did plastic then tar paper then hardy board then painted on the waterproof membrane about 3 layers then did the tile mortar using the latex additive. .

For the floor I did this. Plywood with a coat of latex membrane. Then tar paper. then hardiboard with a couple coats of latex membrane. Then my first bed of concrete sand and the latex additive. The another coat of latex on top then the PVC membrane. On the floor and up the walls 12 inches. Then the hardy board. Then the final bed then another 5 coats of the latex membrane crap. Tile thinset had a latex additive. Grout had a latex additive. I'm moving if it leaks.

I used the Schluter Kerdi for my walls and the shower pan system. Shower is 48X30. Pan was much easier then the mortar base. The only issue you might have is you have to let the mortar cure for the tile a little longer.

Just use Kerdi and be done with it. Google Kerdi showers and John Bridge for lots of good info. I think that's the site but been a while. I did two showers and a dog wash when I built my house and for the money and time spent it can't be beat.

Just use Kerdi and be done with it. Google Kerdi showers and John Bridge for lots of good info. I think that's the site but been a while. I did two showers and a dog wash when I built my house and for the money and time spent it can't be beat.

This is good info, thanks for the info. I'll need to remodel our master bath so the timing is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom