Three Phase Garage Wiring?

Discussion in 'Workshop and Home Improvement' started by GLTHFJ60, Dec 4, 2018.

1. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

I'm starting to get more three phase equipment in the shop and plan to buy a decent size rotary phase converter in the not-too-distance future. Instead of wiring the phase converter directly to one machine, I'm considering having the phase converter power a three phase circuit breaker, then wiring from that out to my machines with THHN or other suitable wire.

The reason why I'm posting this was to ask; does anyone have experience setting up a system like this? I'm in the process of googling, but looking for direct experience.

For context: I have experience with three phase wiring systems as they apply to machinery, VFDs and plenty of experience with single phase house systems. I have a 100a sub panel and a second 30a 220v circuit in the garage, either of which I could use to power this system.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT - Seems pretty straightforward, and along the lines of what i was thinking. Maybe this thread was unnecessary.

threephasewiring.PNG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Bob Morazes

Bob Morazes

I'm interested in the answer to this one.
    3ph in our area of VA is very expensive per month, even if we dont use it, so having a converter would be terrific.
    Bobmo

3. Waorani

Waorani

I installed an American Rotary ADX20 earlier this year. Separate wall mount panel/idler. Works great, wish I'd done it years ago. Biggest thing I'm running is 5hp but went with the 20hp in hopes of scoring a bigger lathe at some point. 50a single phase feed into control panel and 3ph out to a 3ph subpanel. Also added a 3ph breaker/plug in control panel using available knockouts and added an hour meter which seems like something easy enough that AR should add to their systems. Only surprise was cost of 3ph breakers but easy enough to find for a bargain on ebay.

4. GLTHFJ60

Very Very cool @Waorani, sounds like exactly what I'm doing, but with an ADX10.

Do you have any pics of your setup? Specifically interested in the 3ph panel you used, where you mounted your idler/control panel in relation to the 3ph panel, and the hour meter. Hadn't even thought of the hour meter.

5. Waorani

Waorani

Crappy pics due to location but in the full pic - existing subpanel top right, ADX panel top left, 3ph subpanel bottom left, and idler way bottom right. The instructions could be simplified but connections are all labeled so it's pretty easy to hook up. IIRC, basically it's just:

- 1ph feed + ground from existing panel to ADX panel
    - 3 hot + ground from ADX panel to idler (3rd "hot" becoming your generated leg)
    - 3ph feed + ground from ADX panel to 3ph subpanel.

My wiring is overkill mostly because I already had it and what I didn't have I was able to order in short lengths off ebay. I used SQUARE D QO312L125G 3 PHASE 125A MLO PANEL (only holds 4 3ph breakers but that's more than I need) and I think SQUARE D QOC16US Cover (but I changed existing panel cover at same time so may have them mixed up). Hour meter was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VRCNWX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's wired to the ON light on the ADX panel. Thought I was being clever and got a Greenlee 2" "conduit" punch for cheap off ebay only to realize it was actually 2 3/8" after punching a hole. AR sold me another panel cover for only $25 + ship and I got an actual 2" punch. It's got just over 20hrs on it and I haven't had any problems out of it. It's pretty quiet but where I have the idler amplifies the sound a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAToyota and GLTHFJ60 like this.
  6. Waorani

Waorani

One thing to remember is the two legs of your 1ph feed straight through the ADX panel whether it's running or not so be sure to turn that off anytime working downstream of your 1ph panel. Seems easy enough to remember but it's not - at least for me!

GLTHFJ60 likes this.
  7. GLTHFJ60

Super cool!!! It really is that simple. Thank you sir!!
    EDIT: Just ordered my ADX10. Will get started in the new year.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    PAToyota likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.