For Sale Thousand Oaks CA 1971 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Hello! I recently bought a 1971 FJ40, and was stoked...but my wife is still bummed that I sold my new Bronco (and lost a lot of money) to buy it. She thinks is it too tall, too loud, too small for us and our dogs, and not a fraction as comfortable as the Bronco (or her 4Runner). In addition, to get it in my garage I have to air down AND use cargo straps to compress the springs to clear the 84" door frame (the FJ is 86" tall). Finally, she pointed out that we wheel so infrequently that we don't "need" the "extra" toy...and with my impulsivity taken into consideration, I must say that I (reluctantly) agree with many of her points. I spent 45k, and I am hoping to get that back OBO (I have owned it only a very short time and put another couple thousand into it...it can easily be never-ending). The previous owner spent over 100k on it. It can easily be driven on a freeway with one finger at 75 mph to the trail and then easily tackle the Rubicon. I have receipts from prior owner for over 29k in engine, 9k in fuel injection, 13k in refurbished top, and over 30k in diffs/t-case/suspension/fenders. I live in the Thousand Oaks area. I just bought a VW Atlas, and now the FJ only gets occasional jaunts running errands.

Quick video:

1971 FJ40 Landcruiser, 2016-18 professional build by Ben Varozza 4x4… master fabricator and 4 time Ultra 4 4600 Stock Class Champion. Built for good street/highway drivability and off-road reliability.

ENGINE:
427ci SBF professionally built by Panella Racing. Reliable on and off-road motor; 100% USA components

513 lb/ft torque @ 4000 RPM; 475 HP @ 5500 RPM... Dyno tuned for low-end torque / smooth idle

Dart SHP 351W Motor core will handle 750+ HP... machined, balanced, blueprinted, all ARP bolts

Crower Crank/Rods, JE Coated Pistons, CompCam Hydraulic Roller Cam/Lifters, T&D Roller Rockers, Manton Chromoly Pushrods, Edelbrock Intake/Heads

Custom Fabricated Oil Pan for steep all angle operation without oil starvation

Billet Specialties Tru Track Serpentine System (PS, Alt, AC, Water Pump)

Holley Coil-near-Plug Multi-Port Fuel Injection System... Wilson Throttle Body…dyno and road tuned

COOLING SYSTEM
Purpose-built Wizard Racing high density core alloy radiator matched to engine bay and motor size. TIG welded aluminum fan shroud.

Dual SPAL brushless electric fans for reliability. Fans can run independently; one fan will cool the motor under light loads should a single fan fail. Ford Performance water pump.

EXHAUST SYSTEM
Sanderson high flow headers into custom stainless steel dual exhaust. Ceramic coated. Stainless steel MagnaFlow mufflers

AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
Performance Air Intake Plenum with K&N High air flow washable air filter and filter wrap.

TRANSMISSION
NV4500 (1996 GM model)… rebuilt 2016

Gear 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th

Transmission Ratio 5.61 3.04 1.67 1.0 0.74

Engine RPM = 2500 @ 72 MPH in 5th gear

McCloud Racing Flywheel/Twin Disk Clutch sized for 800+ HP with smooth engagement/soft pedal effort.

TRANSFER CASE
Orion 4:1 geared, cast-iron transfer case with manual Hi/Lo range selection.
Parking Disk Brake on output shaft.

118:1 crawl ratio in Lo Range… 1 ft/sec forward motion at idle

AXLES & DIFFERENTIALS
FJ40 axle housings… 4340 Chromoly axle shafts (front and rear) ARB front and rear locking differentials 5:29 ratio

4340 Chromoly 30-Spline Birfields, 4340 Inner and Outer Hub Gears... Toyota Manual Hubs. Custom driveshafts front and rear, rear CV joint, pinion angle matched to suspension/proper caster and camber

Differential Rock armor front and rear

SUSPENSION SYSTEM
Custom Spring-over-Axle... 5” longer wheelbase than stock... designed for full range of vehicle steering motion and articulation with nominal tire size of 38” x 14.5” x 17”

Custom ALCAN FJ40 front leaf springs tuned for SBF motor weight and OME/DAKAR FJ60 Rear leafs Custom rear antiwrap/traction bar

Currie front anti-rock sway bar

Bilstein 5125 shocks ... Front: 33-185552... 25.93 in./15.91 in. ; Rear: 33-104652... 28 in./17 in.

Frame strengthened /reinforced at key stress points

STEERING SYSTEM
Cross-Over steering. Oversized Tie-Rod.

PSC Hydraulic Cylinder Assist Steering with remote reservoir. Approx. 4 turns lock to lock.

HD steering knuckles and studs (Trail Gear 6-shooter knuckles)

BRAKE SYSTEM
4-wheel disk brakes. Toyota Tacoma four piston front and Wilwood four piston rear calipers. Upgraded Disk Parking brake located in stock position on the output shaft of the transfer case.

FUEL SYSTEM
Rollover Vented 29.5 gallon aluminum fuel tank with built in sump and fuel mat for steep angle operation without fuel starvation.

Mounted in the rear of the vehicle. Large serviceable fuel filter, in-tank fuel pump.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Purpose built wiring harnesses (combination of factory and custom wiring), ignition and dash switches.

Front and Rear Winch wiring

All LED lighting for side markers, turn indicator/brake/backup

JW Speaker LED headlights

Front Aux Off-road LED lighting

Rear Aux Off-road LED lighting

170 AMP single wire alternator

Meziere True Start 408 high-torque starter

Odyssey PC1700 main battery with trickle charger connector

Interior mounted auxiliary battery to battery charger (for rear winch battery)

BODY
Hand fabricated steel tube fenders front and full rear quarter panels/tube fenders.

Fully restored hardtop with new headliner, rear gas struts and electric lock/unlock.

Custom Side door rock sliders with step

Custom front bumper with standard 10" x 4.5" bolt pattern winch mount spacing

Custom rear bumper/tire carrier (holds 38”x14.5” tire) with Hi-Lift Jack mount and recovery gear storage Custom rear winch underbody mount with auxiliary battery holder

Full heavy duty skid-plating under engine/transmission/transfer case

All front and rear turns signal, brake and side marker lights refurbished/new and have LED bulbs

INTERIOR
Rhino Lined Floor front to back

Custom front bucket seats with locking center console

Full Custom Roll Cage with integrated shoulder seat belt attachment

VDO gages

Dash/overhead LED lighting
Ididit Tilt Steering column

Vintage Air Heating and A/C

Yaesu UHF/VHF radio

WHEELS/Tires
Raceline Beadlocks... 17 x 9.5 (5)

Milestar Patagonia tires... 38 x 13.5 x 17 (5)

Misc.
Front 10000 lb X20 SmittyBuilt Winch w/synthetic cable and remote

Rear 4000 lb ComeUp winch w/synthetic cable and remote

Integrated air compressor lines with quick disconnects front and rear for airing up/down tires.

Recovery gear, straps, shackles

LED off-road auxiliary lighting front and rear

LED Front, Mid, Rear rock lights

Mirror camera system (touch screen to toggle front or rear cameras)

Fire extinguisher driver side mounted to seat rail

Hinged aluminum panel in cargo area to cover trail gear

2 car covers

Screenshot_20231215_153109_Gallery.jpg

Bumpstop Check Right Side.jpeg
Screenshot_20231213_130628_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231213_130717_Gallery.jpg

Bumpstop Check Front Left Side.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice build, but tiny 5.29 pinion gear and 500lb torque, wont last long on the rubicon! For that money it should have one tons! Glws
Hello! Fortunately the guy I bought it from is In his late 60s and was easy on the skinny pedal. I am getting close to 60 as well, and am just going to go the mall crawl route going forward. He did have the axles replaced with good stuff, and Birfields replaced, and 6-shooters, so there's that. I am OCD about maintenance, so first thing I did after I drove it home nearly 300 miles from the prior owner I changed all fluids and check drain plug magnets...fortunately no crazy metal (and the diffs were nice and quiet on the ride home...as quiet as could be with the exhaust and so forth). Anyhoo, if I were looking to build something bomb proof I'd have gone with even more robust units but I am not going to keep going down the gotta have bigger better stuff rabbit hole at this point. I just need a rig with over landing/camping capability and more room for dogs/wife. If I sell the FJ I'll probably go with an older 4Runner or FJ Cruiser or 90s Land Cruiser. Even with all the engine this FJ has, it is very docile on the street.

@Feldrian time for you to get a Land Cruiser.
Nice looking 40. Interesting build. I don't imagine leafs and FJ40 axles would appreciate the way I drive though.

GLWS!

45 obo...or consider trade for something wife would approve of for commuting/mall crawling (like a 4Runner/Atlas/Highlander/Telluride that folds flat for dogs and has back seats for people). Not a lot of wheeling in our future, apparently. Happy wife happy life, right? Here is a quick video I put together:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom