Those with dogs.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

83white, BPMOU: ROTFLMAO

A ROOSTER outfit???

My dog is no couch potato. Like I said, he prefers winter sports most. We sled and we skijor. In warm months, when I take him to medieval events, he wears his under tunic, chain mail armour, and a tabard over it all. The under tunic prevents the mail from pulling hairs, and the tabard goes over the armour to prevent the sun from making the metal too hot. The mail armour weighs about 14 pounds.

Skijoring is cross-country skiing with your dog; it's dog-powered cross-country skiing. You wear your cross-country skis & gear, and your dog is attached to your waist (via a special harness) by a bungee. You yell "HIKE!" and he takes off... pulling you along on your skis. One-dog-powered skiing. :)
You'd better have a well-trained dog who will obey "Gee", "Haw","Eeeaaaaasy", and "Wooooah"... and "On by" is most important! (to my dog, anyway)
Otherwise, you end up on your face (or worse) in the snow!

Yes, tha's usually best, I agree.

I have a kennel that the previous owner of my LC gave me when he gave me his LC. But... Midnight HATES it! H'es rolled it - while he was in it! - too many times, so I gave up on it.

I never tried strapping the kennel down. How's that going to work?
I have an FJ80, a '92 model, and the third seats are still in place, but folded up against the windows.
To what am I going to ratchet-strap the kennel?

I should try putting Rufus in it, whe traveling. He's used to a crate. He spends his time, when I can't supervise him closely, in a large crate, since he has proven - time and again - his ability to destory my big ould ouse when left unsupervised and free.

And Rufus is the one who has NO Motor-Vehicle-on-the-Road Manners!
He's the one who jumped over backseat & frontseat of my FJ80 to land in my lap, while I was driving on the NJ Turnpike. Not Midnight.

92LC_good2go said:
Yes, tha's usually best, I agree.

I have a kennel that the previous owner of my LC gave me when he gave me his LC. But... Midnight HATES it! H'es rolled it - while he was in it! - too many times, so I gave up on it.

I have an FJ80, a '92 model, and the third seats are still in place, but folded up against the windows.
[/QUOTE

Have you checked for d-rings under the carpet? My '96 has them.:confused: You can add d-rings if your '92 in not equipped.

Yes, we're slave to our pets, aren't we? :D
doggles_1 smaller.jpg

LandCruiserPhil said:
92LC_good2go said:

[/QUOTE

Have you checked for d-rings under the carpet? My '96 has them.:confused: You can add d-rings if your '92 in not equipped.

Umm... no, I never tried to peek UNDER the carpet. :0

Maybe that's where it is...

The former owner promised me (and if he said it, it's true!) that I'd "never find all of the hidey-holes that [the Land Cruiser] has". He actually CHALLENGED me to find 'em all, and report back to him.

I've done that a few times, each time I fiound a new spot I hadn't known about before... But I know, from his face, that I never found at least ONE such place in/on/under it. He's always been disappointed when I came back with a new "find".

The left-hand cubbies in the rear cargo area... one contained a $50 bill with "Very good, Stephanie" written on it in black ink.

There is a small opening (dunno if it's intentional or not) behind the center console, and I found, wedged up agains the console base, by the floor, a note saying "Bring this to me for a steak dinner for you" (hubby & me).

Other hidey-holes have contained a $10 gift certif to B&N ("buy a Toyota book" scribbled on the bottom of it), another $50 bill ("getting warmer... written on it"), a gold-dipped Toyota key (not to this truck though) on a chain, a few $20 bills, all in different places, with frustratingly tantalizing & cryptic messages on them, and an old metal magnet-backed spare key box hidden waaaaaay the heck under the vehicle, in front of the spare tire, had a note that promised a "bottle of your favorite -- or Taylor-Flad -- 40-yr aged port".

Drank the port. :cheers:
Ate the steak. :D
Occasionally wear the key necklace. :)
Spent all of the ca$h, as well as the GC, at B&N on books, I think... :D

Thanked the man, each time.

But I KNOW there's something I've missed. I can tell it, just from his behavior, each time I see him. Especially when I (1) have driven the LC over there, or (2) have just told him about the latest repair or work I've done on it OR the last adventure I've been on with it.

Guess where I'm going, right now...
Out to the garage!!

Back soon...

Nope. *sigh*

The carpet doesn't come up in my LC's rear cargo area. I just opened the rear overhead & tailgate, and looked. It doesn't come up. Must not have made the '92s with a lift-up carpet. :(

But can I use a rachet tie down or two to hold the kennel to the little thingies in the floor that the 3rd seats fit into, since I've never yet used them? (they always stay folded up against the windows)

I have been riding my four dogs, three Aussies and a Dalmation, for a few years now and with the Medford Barrier full length installed. They all live together and get along most of the time and they have just enough room there in the back. I think I might want to install the drawer system also and wondered about head room. I think there is plenty of room still and they probably would like it better since they can see out the front easier. Another think that I realized it that by having the drawer system installed, there will actually be more floor space since the wells are underneath . The wells in the back always seemed to take up room on the floor.

Dogs

I also wanted to see if anybody has had trouble with shedding in the vehicle. As you probably know, their hair blows all around inside and collects in different places over time, and especially so when we roll the windows down. I thought about perhaps taking the cargo barrier out and installing some type of screening material. I thought I could use that black plastic screen and spraying a light coat of 3M adhesive on the front side of the barrier ( the side facing forward) . Then I could lay the screen on top and smooth it and then trim up around the edges. That would catch the hairs except for the space on the sides and top but I could find something foam like at the ACE Hardware that could be wedged in place. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what might work better? I did also look at custom made Dog Trailers but I just think I would be uncomfortable with their riding in a trailer. I would never let my son do that and same with our dogs, plus, they are around $6,000.00 for four boxes.
Heidi.jpg
DSCF0082.jpg
DSCF0071.jpg

Last edited:
92LC_good2go said:
Nope. *sigh*

The carpet doesn't come up in my LC's rear cargo area. I just opened the rear overhead & tailgate, and looked. It doesn't come up. Must not have made the '92s with a lift-up carpet. :(

But can I use a rachet tie down or two to hold the kennel to the little thingies in the floor that the 3rd seats fit into, since I've never yet used them? (they always stay folded up against the windows)
The carpet doesn't come up, but there are small slits in the carpet close to the 4 corners of the cargo area, with metal hooks under them for securing cargo. There have been others who didn't know they were there either, so don't feel bad :). I know the FZJ80 has them, and am pretty sure the FJ80 has them too.

I have 2 dogs that go riding in the Cruiser all the time. I only open the rear slide windows for them when we are on a trail though. Only one of my dogs likes her head out the window though...the other will have non of that!!

As for jumping out...I only open the windows far enough for them to stick their heads out, and the window's seem to slide hard enough that they cannot force it open further. But I do like that idea of a bar across the windows...more for theft/break-in than dog safty. Anyone have a link to any pics of that mod?

At highway speeds I don't open the windows though. So I dont really worry about something coming up and hitting them.

Also...dog hair...I recently cleaned out my Cruiser and vacuumed up enough dog hair to make a new dog. I dont have an answer for you...but I use a Dyson vacuum, and it came with vehicle-specific attachements and it works great for cleaning out the dog hair. There seems to be only one area of the crusier that it wont vacuum effectively...the underside of the 2nd row seats (when folded up get coated in hair).

I have lots of short hair stuck to the ceiling and of course all over the carpet on the box. I feel for you there!

I can't recall how we trained our boys not to jump out of the windows. If they're in the vehicle, then both windows are always open. We do close them half way while we're parked. This is more for the innocent bystandards walking by and not getting freightened by a huge Rotty head poking out and looking at them funny!

Even with the upper tailgate open, neither dogs will jump out of the vehicle. At least not yet...!

Firetruck41, thanks... I always wondered what those were for. (now I don't feel so dumb LOL)
I'll see what I can do with those, tiedowns, and kennels.

As to dog hair. I just use my trusty old Kirbys to vaccuum 2 or 3 times a week. I have my (deceasesd) M-i-L's Kirby vaccuums: a red 1940s model, a brown 1950s model, and a red-and-blue model thought to be from the late 50's or very early '60s. I have 4 boxes of Kirby attachments, to boot. I just trot all of the attachments I need and one of the Kirbys out to the garage, preferably on the days I DO NOT vaccuum the house.

I don't think a day goes by without my having used at least one of the Kirbys. *sigh*

alia176 said:
Even with the upper tailgate open, neither dogs will jump out of the vehicle. At least not yet...!

I just saw this post.

You're lucky! If I leave the upper tailgate open, both of my dogs will jump and bail.

Rufus (the pbt/rhdesian ridgeback mix) won't go very far; he's quite cowardly. But Midnight (the giant terrier/border collie/God-knows-what mix) will run off to visit the rest of his gangbanger buddies, if he's home; he'll try to make new gang buddies if he's not near home.

Midnight always comes back (even in unfamiliar territory), but he'll likely as not take a few hours before coming back. And he always comes back with doggie buddies. I swear, I think he shows 'em how to bail out of their houses.

LOL
You should SEE me trying to get one dog to jump up on the open (lower) tail gate while trying to keep the other in the truck! One jumps in, the other wants to jump out. I corral the bailer, and the other dog bails out on me. I cannot get them to both stay in the darn truck! I usually end up shoving against their noses with my hands, while closing the tail gate with my hip, and then lowering the top half as fast as I can, hoping NOT to smash their doggie faces.
Then -- they run from side to side, playing the Dominance/MY-Side Game, rocking the truck frighteningly.
Can two dogs actually roll an FJ80, I wonder? ..... :D

brianinaustin said:
For the second question... I saw a post while back where someone had taken conduit (maybe), flattened the last few inches of the ends, drilled holes, painted it black, and mounted it horizontally behind the 2nd and 3rd row seatbelt bolts keeping dogs in/perps out. I'd fogotten about that one. Post a link if you find it!

Will this work for you?
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=110560

Like most threads, I'm late to the party for insight. but I think there's plenty of room above a drawer system for 2 dogs, I've got two goldens. Here's one of them on top of my home-made setup. They are also too weak to slide the windows, so they only get a crack to stick their noses out while at highway speed. :cheers:
nak_cargo_box2.jpg

Thanks so much.

As to a dog flipping the 80.....try 3 dogs flipping out on a marmmant (sp?) walking out of the woods and stopping and stepping on the bumper to look at the dogs.....thank god I still have the glass in one piece I swear.

Dogs sticking their heads out at "speed" = eye injuries. Just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom