This item is no longer available - Cummins 2.8 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the mount fixed up and bolted down.
Took the original mount, drilled it out, used a 12mm 1.5 pitch and double nutted the top. I was so satisfied with the result after I did a little field testing I told my friend able it and we did his also.

Thanks RredFJ40. I restored her to be utilitarian and not a restoration project.

Now to head down to Ouray tomorrow to see Woody and friends.

Drilling through and bolting the mount together is what I did eventually as well. Can use a 1/2" bolt also IIRC.

Well boys and girls, it’s time for part two.

I have some other projects that need to happen before I get this one done.

I plan to do a full documentary on the process.

F66536CF-F8F2-4DBA-976D-A67F64425C12.jpeg

Okay. I have decided on the adapter for the conversation. Overland Cruisers out of Belgrade, MT has made an adapter kit that satisfies my vehicle configuration, the '85+ 60. After talking with Stephen at the shop I was pretty satisfied with the engineering that they have done. No moving or modification of driveline needed.
Parts are on order and I can't wait to pull the 2F and and start welding.

HOWEVER, while the engine and trans are out of the vehicle I need to have some work done on the H55F. There are TWO issues that I would like to address:
1. When the engine is cold, the shifter has a tendency of coming out of 1st and into neutral with a loud crunk.
2. When in 5th gear at highway speeds I can let off the gas to slow down a tad and the shifter will fall out of 5th and into neutral.

Has anyone done a fix of problems similar to this? Example: open the box up and found that 1st needs to be changed out??

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 12.34.39 PM.png

hell ya, what tranny you going with?

I should have just read back a post or two.. 😂

My H55F.
And now is a good time to address the 1st and 5th gear phenomenon of why they slip out of gear while driving.

Spent the day taking off unneeded stuff for the gas engine: Firewall plumbing.
image.jpg

And labeling all the ele. connections I’m not going to need. I will be taking it all off.
image.jpg

And, draining the fuel tank.
My gauge read empty however I usually have a 3 gallon reserve after that. I think I drank about 3 to 5 gallons total.
image.jpg

Did more of the install yesterday.

1) The ECU is mounted on the passenger side right below the windshield bottle. Because of the way the wiring loom is configured the best place to put it is passenger. Why, well the loom you see needs to be on right because it's the power wiring for the rest of the engine. The loom that's not plugged in (below one pictured) is the engine side of the loom that has a plug fo the fuel filter 8 inches away from the plug end. Thus the fuel filter is to the left of the ECU.

2) The installation manual calls for the ECU to be oriented so that if water comes in contact, it has a way to flow off. Also, the cooling fins need to be vertical for heat dissipation.

3) The 'T' for the two interior heat exchangers is not present right now. The fuel filter is in the way as it's pretty tall. Will come up with a solution later.

8ED2B308-CB72-4D2B-9C9B-7A2000C8DD97.JPG

Okay kids, it's about time I update this thread on the Cummins conversion in its entirety.

I'm going to do this in stages so you understand what all it takes. Ex, frame prep, fuel system, placement issues, oil filter, water separator etc.

But first, the adapter and why I when with it.
I chose Overland Cruisers kit. They are located in Belgrade MT just outside Bozemen MT. The reason for this kit was it had everything I needed for the conversion. The adapter itself is comprised of three pieces, all hardware, engine and frame brackets, a radiator bracket, an intercooler bracket, the intercooler and the fuel pedal bracket.

But the most important thing that this kit offered was the feature that I DID NOT have to change the driveline on the 60 or worry about the shifter needing a new placement.
Also, this adapter allows you to use the stock clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and 2F bell housing. It's as turn key as possible.

Enjoy!
IMG_2449.JPG

Next post will be frame prep.

Okay kids, it's about time I update this thread on the Cummins conversion in its entirety.

I'm going to do this in stages so you understand what all it takes. Ex, frame prep, fuel system, placement issues, oil filter, water separator etc.

But first, the adapter and why I when with it.
I chose Overland Cruisers kit. They are located in Belgrade MT just outside Bozemen MT. The reason for this kit was it had everything I needed for the conversion. The adapter itself is comprised of three pieces, all hardware, engine and frame brackets, a radiator bracket, an intercooler bracket, the intercooler and the fuel pedal bracket.

But the most important thing that this kit offered was the feature that I DID NOT have to change the driveline on the 60 or worry about the shifter needing a new placement.
Also, this adapter allows you to use the stock clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and 2F bell housing. It's as turn key as possible.

Enjoy!
View attachment 2626737

Next post will be frame prep.
Great work! Keep the posts coming!

I just finished (Is it ever really finished?) up my R2.8 install on my '87 HJ61. Its cool to see how people tackle issues in different ways. I went with the QuickDraw adapter, but truth be told would have loved to not have had to modify my driveline/adjust the transmission location. Also, with the exhaust being on the opposite side from original, those precious 4 inches of forward transmission travel would have made the exhaust install a whole lot easier with the H55F/T-Case.

Keep up the good work

Last edited:
Motor Mounts

The old motor mounts will have to be cut out and your new set will have to be burned it.
I was considering keeping the old mounts in but the cooler cooler came into contact with left side.
The location of the mounts are just about midway in the engine bay on the frame rails.
IMG_2347.jpg

Below picture is the engine bay with all the unnecessary emissions piping and heat shield that you are not going to need.

Not needed:
throttle linkage (all of it)
Emission tubing and piping from the charcoal canister
all heat shields (I was going to keep them but the engine did not have clearance with a test fit)
heater cores: I still don't have the secondary core hooked up. I placed the fuel/water separator above that feed/return pipe.

IMG_2350.jpg

Here's one of the first components I installed from the Cummin boxes.

Per the manual the computer needs to be oriented in one of three acceptable degrees. They want the fins on the computer housing so that it was dissipate heat effectively.

IMG_2357.JPG

woaoaoaoao.....amazin. As always uber jelly of you DIY guys!!! Awesome!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom