This is probably going to be very unliked, but this is just like my opinion man. This is my issue with the LC250 (65 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brady needs that sponsorship money. He ain't gonna tell it like it is. He called it a 'Land Cruiser' .....it's a LC 250 or a Prado. A lighter duty, badge engineered, built for the mean streets of Raleigh vehicle. And that's fine, but call it what it is.

Just as the FJ Cruiser was not a Land Cruiser.

A rebadged 4runner is not a Land Cruiser.

Just like a rebadged explorer could not be a Bronco, in the true lineage sense.

Or a rebadged Chevy Traverse is not a Blazer.

Why they had to make it all complicated and watered down I guess we'll never know.

Comments like this are what I have been hoping to see. Knowing what the 250 is (and is not) while still acknowledging it to be a stout and capable vehicle. Reliability still TBD of course.

It's refreshing for a review to be predicated in part on payload. It's often not even mentioned. But the payload he cites (from Toyota's website) is several hundred pounds more than what was published on tech stream data.

The LC250 and 6th Gen 4R are essentially the same with one having the 'Land Cruiser' badging and name. The GX550 tho is in another class with the V6 and 9.5" rear axle. You really have to try and break that thing.

The LC250 and 6th Gen 4R are essentially the same with one having the 'Land Cruiser' badging and name. The GX550 tho is in another class with the V6 and 9.5" rear axle. You really have to try and break that thing.
Plus more headroom in the Lc

The way I understand it - the 4Runner will also get the 9.5 rear axle in hybrid models.

There is no way in the 4R to get full time 4WD and the rear locker. That's more significant of a difference than 4 cylinder to 6. Though the smaller axle is confusing.

Is it really another class all because of a couple more cylinders and a slightly larger rear end? An upgrade yes, most definitely but another class I'm not so sure.

In any case I still could make a case for choosing the LC over the 4R based on the more subdued styling inside and out and possibly a little extra space with regards to head and leg room. The new 4R is too busy for my taste.

**Edit to add, LC250 scores another point for having full time 4WD with a rear locker whereas you cannot get that combo on any of the off road focused 4R trims.

Last edited:
Is it really another class all because of a couple more cylinders and a slightly larger rear end? An upgrade yes, most definitely but another class I'm not so sure.

In any case I still could make a case for choosing the LC over the 4R based on the more subdued styling inside and out and possibly a little extra space on the with regards to head and leg room. The new 4R is too busy for my taste.

**Edit to add, LC250 scores another point for having full time 4WD with a rear locker whereas you cannot get that combo on any of the off road focused 4R trims.
Per EPA...yes.

We're both speaking English but I feel like you're talking in a different language.
That's because we're upside down to Australians, and all the vowels fall on the ground.

Brady needs that sponsorship money. He ain't gonna tell it like it is. He called it a 'Land Cruiser' .....it's a LC 250 or a Prado. A lighter duty, badge engineered, built for the mean streets of Raleigh vehicle. And that's fine, but call it what it is.

Just as the FJ Cruiser was not a Land Cruiser.

A rebadged 4runner is not a Land Cruiser.

Just like a rebadged explorer could not be a Bronco, in the true lineage sense.

Or a rebadged Chevy Traverse is not a Blazer.

Why they had to make it all complicated and watered down I guess we'll never know.
Wait a minute.
Scott Brady is neither a liar nor a bullshitter. He has turned down ads for the magazine that would've brought in a lot of money, but the products were not the quality that is required for inclusion in Overland Journal.

Wait a minute.
Scott Brady is neither a liar nor a bullshitter. He has turned down ads for the magazine that would've brought in a lot of money, but the products were not the quality that is required for inclusion in Overland Journal.
He didn't weigh it though. Just parroted that Toyota clusterf$#@'d data and told everyone it's got mad payload.

Still wrong as of 4/17/24

At least some on here are paying attention enough to recognize that 600lbs is too small of a weight difference between 250 and 550.

Per my dumb math, 550-250 is 300. :rofl:

Last edited:
In any case I still could make a case for choosing the LC over the 4R based on the more subdued styling inside and out and possibly a little extra space on the with regards to head and leg room. The new 4R is too busy for my taste.
The price difference doesn’t make sense though. You’re going to end up paying close to
70 grand when it’s all said and done… correct me if I’m wrong but i will cost you $15k-$20k more for a more for a comparably loaded 250 vs a 4Runner.

Maybe I’m missing something but it just seems over priced… especially when you look at a base LC 250. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: GTV
TNGA-F are all the same, meaning ALL body on frame are the same with exception to length in the Tundra and Sequoia.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The design is the same, but my understanding is that they are able to switch out steel grades in certain parts of the frame to make the it stronger or weaker. It's certainly an interesting design with how many pieces the frame is and how modular they can make it.

I would be curious on how much they are actually doing that between each vehicle - seems to create lots of extra manufacturing steps, but maybe not if they are just laser-cutting steel for welding later on down the assembly line.

We're both speaking English but I feel like you're talking in a different language.
Welll...

The V8 in the Land Cruiser is a 1VD-FTE.... and is a VDJ7x... but VD is venereal disease.... aka The Clap

Side note: I used to work in outdoor education residential centres with a large live on site staff team; one morning one lad walked into breakfast to a round of applause... he thought it was because he'd got some the night before, in reality there was a high chance he'd have got a bit more than he expected including a bit of time on antibiotics for his efforts.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The design is the same, but my understanding is that they are able to switch out steel grades in certain parts of the frame to make the it stronger or weaker. It's certainly an interesting design with how many pieces the frame is and how modular they can make it.

I would be curious on how much they are actually doing that between each vehicle - seems to create lots of extra manufacturing steps, but maybe not if they are just laser-cutting steel for welding later on down the assembly line.
This is correct.

TNGA-F is like a standard blueprint that is slightly customized for each application.

So instead of "reinventing the wheel" each time, Toyota has a common methodology to develop the frames, body structure, etc.

Re Land Cruiser VS Prado naming debate, from TMC:

The introduction of the "250" series has further clarified the position of the three Land Cruiser models. The vehicle names have also returned to their roots, with all models unified under "Land Cruiser"*1

*1The "70" series wagon models from 1990 were newly marketed as the Land Cruiser Prado; since then, the Land Cruiser lineup has had two vehicle names: Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado

Re Land Cruiser VS Prado naming debate, from TMC:

The introduction of the "250" series has further clarified the position of the three Land Cruiser models. The vehicle names have also returned to their roots, with all models unified under "Land Cruiser"*1

*1The "70" series wagon models from 1990 were newly marketed as the Land Cruiser Prado; since then, the Land Cruiser lineup has had two vehicle names: Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado
What is the source of your information? Which TMC website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom