Builds This Is Not A F-king Jeep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that sticker is a correct statement but should not be displayed in public.kids can read also and you would not be allowed to wheel that rig around here in public.im sure it would lead to more fights .the word jeep came from an old popeye cartoon from a caracter that could go anywhere.most people that call fj40s a jeep are generalizing and dont have a clue.i use my 40 to tow my 46 willys to car shows and parked side by side the average person doesnt know the difference.

life's been crazy, several deaths of my close freinds in the past few months, mom in icu for 2 weeks. In all, with myself 26yrs old, i have 15 friends dead in past 7 years all of them between 18 - 27 years old. rip-pgc

Since you are still alive, (at least you were when you posted this) and in light of the fact that you have that many deceased "friends" I might urge you to take a hard look at this fragile thing called life and perhaps initiate some changes that could result in you being around longer than they were to enjoy it. Its ironic, but you strike me as the type of guy who would drive a Jeep, not paste up some pathetic and offensive diatribe on your windshield to clarify that you don't. That is not low class, it is no class.

Since you are still alive, (at least you were when you posted this) and in light of the fact that you have that many deceased "friends" I might urge you to take a hard look at this fragile thing called life and perhaps initiate some changes that could result in you being around longer than they were to enjoy it. Its ironic, but you strike me as the type of guy who would drive a Jeep, not paste up some pathetic and offensive diatribe on your windshield to clarify that you don't. That is not low class, it is no class.

You hit the nail of the friggin' head with that!!!
Its kind of too bad he's gone and this thread seems to be over, kind of... :hillbilly:

Don't know? I just found it the other day , was really hoping to see some more

Change sticker to......

(not a f**king fabricator)
(not a f**king follower)

Or my fav.... (Noone on IH8MUD the largest Landcruiser website in the world full of guys who have done this s*** in there sleep knows anything cause im F**KING AWESOME!!!!)

This cat need a J**P he'd fit right in!!!

I'm new to this site. I have a 1971 Original FJ40. Does anyone know where to go to find conversions for tranny replacements with higher gear ratios ? I know there in Man a Fre. ANy other fj40 purist shops that make these "upgraded tranny's"

Thanks

Hey greenhorn ... Don't you have some wrenching to do! Get off the computer and get in garage you have 3 monthes before calico

I'm new to this site. I have a 1971 Original FJ40. Does anyone know where to go to find conversions for tranny replacements with higher gear ratios ? I know there in Man a Fre. ANy other fj40 purist shops that make these "upgraded tranny's"

Thanks

go here:
40- & 55-Series Tech

Welcome to 'Mud!:flipoff2:

Hey greenhorn ... Don't you have some wrenching to do! Get off the computer and get in garage you have 3 monthes before calico

It will be ready but.... not sure if my new born son will be ready for the high winds he'll be here late feb. So well see how that goes

Wow I'm glad to see I'm loved and missed! Spent the summer building a shop, so the cruiser sat. Have much left to do and little time to do it in.

If you don't like me fine, don't care. Don't talk bad about the trajedy I have been through, and the people I've lost. Few can truly relate to such experiences, so don't talk s***!

I can't wait to get back to fabrication on the cruiser as soon as posible. Next june or so I'm hoping.................

Last edited:
Since you are still alive, (at least you were when you posted this) and in light of the fact that you have that many deceased "friends" I might urge you to take a hard look at this fragile thing called life and perhaps initiate some changes that could result in you being around longer than they were to enjoy it.

Pretty sure that's actual advice

Now for some advice of my own:

You could keep a floor by adding a C notch to the floor that goes over the coilovers, the current design is extremely far from ideal.

If you hit those lower link mounts hard enough you'll just tear them off the frame, I'm not going to spend the time telling you to raise them like Chop Shop and others said but I am going to say you should have made that bracket angled so as to act like a ramp instead of a plain 90 degree angle that gives maximum leverage to pull it off the frame.

Wow I'm glad to see I'm loved and missed! Spent the summer building a shop, so the cruiser sat. Have much left to do and little time to do it in.

If you don't like me fine, don't care. Don't talk bad about the trajedy I have been through, and the people I've lost. Few can truly relate to such experiences, so don't talk s***!

I can't wait to get back to fabrication on the cruiser as soon as posible. Next june or so I'm hoping.................

wut trajedy?

Pretty sure that's actual advice

Now for some advice of my own:

You could keep a floor by adding a C notch to the floor that goes over the coilovers, the current design is extremely far from ideal.

If you hit those lower link mounts hard enough you'll just tear them off the frame, I'm not going to spend the time telling you to raise them like Chop Shop and others said but I am going to say you should have made that bracket angled so as to act like a ramp instead of a plain 90 degree angle that gives maximum leverage to pull it off the frame.

read back to the first page or two as I said then the brackets are unfinished! You are just reapeating what I have said for myself, outside of all the criticism.

I like build threads, I don't like squabbling, while op has not been the most receptive to suggestions on here, I don't feel that he has been horrible or rude with replies. Its his ride, let it be, I would also like to see it wheeled. As far as the sticker goes, I like it and I have kids, but I am not one for censoring things! I also attribute ignorance usually to things being labeled Jeep, if people don't know they just call it Jeep, my 80 has been labeled that! Either way I yapped enough.

read back to the first page or two as I said then the brackets are unfinished! You are just reapeating what I have said for myself, outside of all the criticism.

No real criticism, I couldn't care less what you do with your cruiser. After all it's your money, your time, and your life if something goes wrong.

No real criticism, I couldn't care less what you do with your cruiser. After all it's your money, your time, and your life if something goes wrong.

Thanks

Got a few more weeks "depending on" weather untill I finish my shop, warm and secure! Made the funds yesterday for a new Tig welder, plasma cutter and tube bender, HELL YEAH!

So all I can say is that the cruiser is getting totally buggied! At the moment I'm thinking 108"- 110" wheel base 38.5-42" tires. With the new front four link I will lower the cruiser and undecided amount, and cut the front frame rails to eliminate steering complications.

This will allow me to shorten the oh so infamous lower link brackets in the rear. I also plan to change the geometry back there a little so that the rear "lcp" is higher than the front "lcp". This will change the roll axis, slanting it slightly downwards toward the front of the cruiser. The positive rear steering that will be the result, although i plan to make it only slight, in all should give me better handleing. I think perhaps it will improve the body roll a bit, not positive on that.

Still working on my front 4-link design, I believe that keeping the roll axis close to level allowing the tires to travel as straight up and down while articulating as possible will best comprimise for both rock crawling/high speed handling. Unsure on what i will do yet, but most Definently I will build it very adjustable.

Any Knowledge on whats best under braking in a front 4- link? As far as How the Instant Center Traking intersects the vehicle's center of gravity?
The front pulls as the rear pushes, SO it obviously doesn't react the same as the rear in relation to the chasis and it's effect on traction created, also how the suspenssion is effected under hard braking.

I'm thinking that a higher instant center directed right in the area of the vehicle's center of gravity will give the best results under hard breaking. So If we were "comparing it to a rear suspension", it would be more in the range of a neutral or even a little anti-squat?

Why god? why is it so complicated, just kidding

Last edited:
So I'm still around, and I've about finished my shop. I just have some finish work left to seal it up for "dem" cold breezes, and also wiring. Turned out good, ESPECIALLY considering I've never been a construction worker really. I did it all as I went and just plain learned the "hard knock" way! Of course I had the help and advice of many friends. Us old wise guys are all in the trades, I saved alot of money because of them. I'm very greatful, but Ive spent to much anyway, typical.

Scored an sm-420 w/ chev bell house for $75 bucks! trans looks, under pretty close inspection, to be rebuilt, at least recently! What a deal if you ask me, made my decision easy! Tracking down my 3 speed bell house right now. My buddy the electrician will hook me up on my electrical for the shop super cheap. But even at gangster price it's gonna cost some moolah!

The shop is 25' x 30', all steel, w/ 12' wide doors on both ends. That way I'll be able to drive right through like a tunnel.

So very soon i'll be back to cruiser fab, i know I've said that one to many times. I will allways be the opotomist, I don't ever give up! Yea!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom