Thinking of bringing some 16 & 17 inch wheels to market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are no factory LC wheels that are forged. And before somebody mentions the Rock Warrior wheel, that is not a Toyota wheel.

IMO, I don't think any of the replica wheels mentioned will sell well....simply because the OE versions are available.

I'd be interested to see that "sweet TRD style at +30ET" though.

There are no factory LC wheels that are forged. And before somebody mentions the Rock Warrior wheel, that is not a Toyota wheel.

That was my suspicion, too. But it is widely repeated that they all are. At least I've read that countless times.

IMO, I don't think any of the replica wheels mentioned will sell well....simply because the OE versions are available.

Possibly not. I think 17's had a chance because until recently there were very few options that were hubcentric and not too aggressive offset. Hence the main reason the RW are popular, as far as I understand. The Alphaequipt may gain some traction there, though, which is why I'm hesitant to chase the 17" segment. But yeah, 16x8, probably not. The 16x7? Maybe.

I'd be interested to see that "sweet TRD style at +30ET" though.

trd17.jpg

This is machined face with black, but they come in other options. I haven't gotten a good weight rating yet, but it doesn't seem beefy enough. I think the heaviest axle rating on a 200 series is just under 2000kg. So theoretically a wheel should be rated for 1000kg according to my understanding. Ideally I'd feel better if it was even more.

Fair point on the forged vs cast. Weight isn't terrible given how much metal is in these. Curious what the OEM 79s weigh.
Just looked it up and the OEM 79 series wheel is 23.8lbs, so I'd be quite happy at 22lbs. There may not be a lot of pizza cutter fans out there, but I think the GXL wheel is a really great choice. I'm trying to run the lightest weight 33" wheel/tire combo I can find. The 7" wide 79 series wheel let me run a 50 lb 255/85R16, gives me the exact stance I want and I can get rid of my heavy wheel spacers. All in I'd be under 75 lbs per corner. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I also think they look pretty good on a 100 series. I think they'd look sick in bronze, too.

79 series wheels.jpg

ASPW agrees:

Last edited:
I love the look, personally. I could probably get a run as small as 6 sets, only because I've been working with a guy who has some in stock which means I wouldn't have to order a whole production run. So it's definitely on the table even if just for fun at this point. It's not going to pay for Christmas vacation, that's for sure :santa:

Reactions: BEG
I think I might be able to get the one on the left in 18" but I hadn't been paying much attention to that size. The 17" TRD style I showed above was the closest I came to it, but notice how much stronger those that you show look.

I’d be all in for a set of those in 18s. That’s the best looking TRD wheel imo. It looks good on every rig I’ve seen them on from 4runners to 60s and 80s. It’s a timeless design.

Last edited:
I really wish I could order à la carte, but generally speaking 40 wheels is the minimum, and that's usually talking them down. If I put in an order for something else I'll be sure to check to see if they can't include a set of them though. It comes down to availability. Most of the time they have to be manufactured after order.

Good to know you like that style though. If I ever did custom wheels that's on my short list for a 16 or 17 size.

Give me those grey poverty pack looking steelies. I want my LC looking like a 3rd world UN vehicle vs fake bead locks bro doser.
Couldn’t resist posting a picture of mine with 16x6 79 series wheels.... thread-related content: might be into 16x7s that’d allow 255s. And my wheels and tires are 77# each, IIRC.

6946A911-BABB-435B-AF0A-F3BA548793BC.jpeg

Reactions: BEG
Although if the E7 trucks were using the same wheels (which it looks like they were), maybe 255s aren’t too ridiculously balloon-like on a 6” rim....

52BBC25F-16F4-474A-8FCC-2E9460FAE413.jpeg

Don't know if these have been mentioned yet, but I'm very happy with my Hutchinson Rock Monsters. They're 17x8.5 +27, and I run a 285/75r17, which is basically 34x11. No rubbing, decent amount of tire selection at that size, and an easy to way to get the biggest tire on a 100 without worrying about a body lift. For a functional wheel, I think that's a great size.

P6l23L6.jpg

mjuhBRL.jpg

Couldn’t resist posting a picture of mine with 16x6 79 series wheels.... thread-related content: might be into 16x7s that’d allow 255s. And my wheels and tires are 77# each, IIRC.
I like the look of your ride. What tire size do you run on those steelies? I'm assuming no lift as well?

I like the look of your ride. What tire size do you run on those steelies? I'm assuming no lift as well?

Thanks!

235/85 R16. I’m an old Land Rover guy so that’s been my go-to size for several decades...

re the lift, Dobinsons C59-223V rear coils and Dobinsons TBs up front. So not much nominal lift but easily 1.5” taller at the back than the factory rears, which had clearly been replaced not too long before I bought her.

ROH Australia makes a 5x150 110mm +47 in a 17x8 and there are some discontinued 16x8 still out there. Style is the Octagon. Good luck getting them to the USA.

Project was abandoned, unfortunately. They're available in Australia if you can find someone willing to ship them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom