17" wheels with 0mm offset + 285/70R17 - terrible idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not speaking from experience, but that seems to be most of the sentiment I've seen online? Apparently they're quieter on the highway and also a bit better in rainy conditions.
I'm not sure they are quieter, both are pretty quiet for ATs from what I gather, but become louder over time. The AT3Ws have rain channels which the BFGs don't, but honestly I never felt that I had issues in the rain with KO2s. I think the new KO3s were only offered to manufacturers for the first year, but should be available to the public soon if not already, and they are likely better than the AT3Ws as i think the addressed the prior complaints. When I was looking for tires a few years ago when I got the KO2s, the tire guy presented the AT3Ws as basically a similar alternative, so I wouldn't expect a ton of difference. FWIW I run the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss now and they are pretty much better in most ways than the BFG.

I dont know the answer to the question, but i am running that same tire size, stock 18" wheels, and stock ride height / suspension, with 1.25" spacers all around. the setup and "stance" is perfect, and I experience no rubbing.
Well stock is +60 mm offset, and 1.25 inches is about 40 mm , so that makes you run equivalent of +20mm offset

I think the new KO3s were only offered to manufacturers for the first year, but should be available to the public soon if not already, and they are likely better than the AT3Ws as i think the addressed the prior complaints.
In my cursory search, I was only able to find C-rated KO3s in 285/70R17, the E-rated variant didn't seem to be readily available. Baja Bosses seem nice but they're like $70 more per tire and I wanted to stick to some semblance of an initial budget.

Just bit the bullet and got AT3Ws from Walmart, might be going on some roadtrips this winter so I'd rather be fully confident in my tires haha...

Alright, they're mounted on the truck now. Definitely have some trimming to do and I'm not the biggest fan of the brodozer look, but overall I'm pretty happy.

1000009571.jpg

Yeah I was looking at Tire Rack originally, but Nomad currently has a site-wide 25% off sale which makes it slightly cheaper to buy from Nomad directly, but I'm not sure if they include the high clearance center caps.

I've never trimmed a fender before so I'll have to figure out what that would entail, something to research... And I'm in an LX with AHC, so unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can get away with a simple torsion bar adjustment. On top of that, it seems like Falken themselves says that their E-rated 285/70R17s are actually 33.0", while BFG says that their 285/70R17s are a bit smaller at 32.8".

So it seems like I'll need to find another way to lift my front end slightly, but I want to keep my AHC...

Lifting won't help much of anything. Don't worry about it. Keep the height stock and trim as needed.
I always felt that 0 offset was excessive, almost 2.5" outboard from stock is a lot and sticks out a fair amount. You may not have issues with those small tires though. Do you even know if those wheels come in a 110 hub?
Agreed.

Some better pics, kinda posting everywhere today because I actually wasn't able to find any good pictures of white 100s with white wheels... would have helped me make my decision.

View attachment 3482181
View attachment 3482182
View attachment 3482183

I do like the white on white look.

Just ordered the Nomad Saharas in Dusk for my 06’ Cypress LX470. Now I’m extra pumped after seeing these pics. Any shots from the front so we can see the poke?

Just ordered the Nomad Saharas in Dusk for my 06’ Cypress LX470. Now I’m extra pumped after seeing these pics. Any shots from the front so we can see the poke?
Unfortunately don't have any head on shots (parked in front of a bush rn) but just grabbed these. Pictures don't really do it justice, it's immediately obvious that there's some poke even from 50+ ft away.

1000009609.jpg

1000009608.jpg

1000009607.jpg

I think it should be fine with some trimming but still spent the morning looking at flare options. Doesn't seem like there's a perfect option, apparently the fit on Kut Snake actually isn't that great, especially on the 2nd row doors. So I guess I'm gonna have to live with the diet brodozer for now...

Happy to see more Nomads in NoVa. I know some more people who are interested in them, we might have enough for a 0 offset meet.

I’m curious how 255/80R17s would fair on this setup, not sure I’ve seen that size on a 0 offset yet. That should reduce the amount of trimming required I imagine right?

Does anyone know the largest tire that won’t rub? I have the same question… and actually bought the Sahara’s from nomad..

Been contemplating the:
275 70R 17
265 70R 17
255 80R 17

Does anyone know the largest tire that won’t rub? I have the same question… and actually bought the Sahara’s from nomad..

Been contemplating the:
275 70R 17
265 70R 17
255 80R 17
I think I've settled on 255/70R17 Falken A/T3Ws for my Saharas that are currently on the way. The pinch weld will likely need to be hammered back, and plastic cut/remolded for stock height vehicles.

In case anyone's contemplating the 0mm + 285/70R17 combo on a stock suspension LC/LX, here are some pictures of the pinch weld hammering I had to do. This did the job fine, but whenever I turned hard right while going uphill, I'd graze the bumper with my front right tire. I ended up trimming the bumper on both sides roughly an inch past the corner, everything clears fine now. Can grab pics if anyone needs them.

Feels great to not have to worry about turning anymore.

In case anyone's contemplating the 0mm + 285/70R17 combo on a stock suspension LC/LX, here are some pictures of the pinch weld hammering I had to do. This did the job fine, but whenever I turned hard right while going uphill, I'd graze the bumper with my front right tire. I ended up trimming the bumper on both sides roughly an inch past the corner, everything clears fine now. Can grab pics if anyone needs them.

Feels great to not have to worry about turning anymore.

If I may recommend to ya, and anyone that plans on doing this, to throw some seam sealer over the pinch weld area once it's been folded over. The factory runs seam sealer between the layered panels and once you cut the pinch to ease the fold the inners can be exposed. Just a little extra precaution to avoid and potential rusting.

It doesn't take much flex in that area to open up enough to expose it to the elements. I have 2 areas in the rear that the factory seam sealed but there is enough body flex that the seam opened and I now have some rust forming on a southern rust free truck. I would never have seen it if I hadn't taken the carpet out to clean.

I think I've settled on 255/70R17 Falken A/T3Ws for my Saharas that are currently on the way. The pinch weld will likely need to be hammered back, and plastic cut/remolded for stock height vehicles.
I just installed the Sahara’s with 265 70 R17… stock suspension. Minimal tire poke. Happy with how it turned out.

A562AF21-650B-4689-A52E-F11F1FEF1E19.jpeg

31D2B869-4B63-413A-ACAE-69DF0FDD8C7B.jpeg

B8B21742-92D6-4391-8623-AFA0D483A6D8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom