17" wheels with 0mm offset + 285/70R17 - terrible idea? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently blew out one of my tires and the remaining 3 have dry rot, so I think it's time to replace everything. Figured I might as well go with some new wheels too, so I want to make sure that I'm getting the right stuff before dropping $2600.

Current setup:

* 18" OEM 07-21 Toyota Tundra 5-spoke steel wheels (I think they have a +60mm offset?)
* 265/70R18 (32.6") BFG KO2 AT E-rated tires

Desired setup:

* 17" Nomad Convoy 501SA wheels (0mm offset)
* 285/70R17 (32.7") Falken Wildpeak AT E-rated tires

Screenshot_20231029-221554.png

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 22.09.35.png

Did some cursory searches and it seems like some people are running 285/70R17s on 0 offset, but most of them seem to have some kind of lift going as well. I am on bone stock AHC and would prefer to keep things that way. I would also like to avoid trimming if possible. I know that +40mm seems to be the best offset for the 100 Series, but unfortunately these wheels are only available in 5x150 with 0mm... and I really like them. Price is nice too.

How bad of an idea is this? Worth contacting Nomad to see if they'd be able to make a set with +40mm?

I dont know the answer to the question, but i am running that same tire size, stock 18" wheels, and stock ride height / suspension, with 1.25" spacers all around. the setup and "stance" is perfect, and I experience no rubbing.

I personally don't like the look of poked-out wheels and tires, which those zero offset wheels will do slightly. But it's been done plenty of times and mostly comes down to preferences. Modern land cruisers have wide factory hub widths, so to be flush with the fenders you're looking at positive offset wheels in almost every wheel width.

Ex: the SCS F5 wheel in 16x8/5x150 flavor was designed for flush fitment on the 100 series, and is +10 ET. For an 8.5" wheel like you mentioned the equivalent would be roughly a +22 if my math checks out.

FYI - there is a sale on Nomad's site right now that'll save you some substantial money compared to the discount tire site.

I personally don't like the look of poked-out wheels and tires, which those zero offset wheels will do slightly. But it's been done plenty of times and mostly comes down to preferences. Modern land cruisers have wide factory hub widths, so to be flush with the fenders you're looking at positive offset wheels in almost every wheel width.

Ex: the SCS F5 wheel in 16x8/5x150 flavor was designed for flush fitment on the 100 series, and is +10 ET. For an 8.5" wheel like you mentioned the equivalent would be roughly a +22 if my math checks out.

FYI - there is a sale on Nomad's site right now that'll save you some substantial money compared to the discount tire site.
Thanks for the info, I'm fine if they poke out a slight bit (my state allows up to 3 in of poke on each side) and I am thinking of getting some Kut Snake fenders in the near future. My main concern is that either the vehicle handles significantly worse, or rubs against the fender/liner.

Nomad's sale saves me a whopping $3 per wheel vs Discount Tire, but I probably want to get the center caps as well so it now makes sense to order everything from them.

Thanks for the info, I'm fine if they poke out a slight bit (my state allows up to 3 in of poke on each side) and I am thinking of getting some Kut Snake fenders in the near future. My main concern is that either the vehicle handles significantly worse, or rubs against the fender/liner.

Nomad's sale saves me a whopping $3 per wheel vs Discount Tire, but I probably want to get the center caps as well so it now makes sense to order everything from them.

Fair enough, I was looking at a different size and it was about $60/off per wheel.

With a zero offset wheel you may have some slight rubbing with a 285/70/17 on stock suspension.

Recently blew out one of my tires and the remaining 3 have dry rot, so I think it's time to replace everything. Figured I might as well go with some new wheels too, so I want to make sure that I'm getting the right stuff before dropping $2600.

Current setup:

* 18" OEM 07-21 Toyota Tundra 5-spoke steel wheels (I think they have a +60mm offset?)
* 265/70R18 (32.6") BFG KO2 AT E-rated tires

Desired setup:

* 17" Nomad Convoy 501SA wheels (0mm offset)
* 285/70R17 (32.7") Falken Wildpeak AT E-rated tires

View attachment 3469859

View attachment 3470003

Did some cursory searches and it seems like some people are running 285/70R17s on 0 offset, but most of them seem to have some kind of lift going as well. I am on bone stock AHC and would prefer to keep things that way. I would also like to avoid trimming if possible. I know that +40mm seems to be the best offset for the 100 Series, but unfortunately these wheels are only available in 5x150 with 0mm... and I really like them. Price is nice too.

How bad of an idea is this? Worth contacting Nomad to see if they'd be able to make a set with +40mm?
I actually have these nomad wheels. 285/70/17 bffoodrich tires. Stock suspension. I had to jack the torsion bar up an inch and cut the fender well due to rub. Fits perfect. Also check out Tirerack on buying these. I saved 200-300 dollars and they include the caps for the 100 series.

IMG_9144.jpeg

Last edited:
I actually have these nomad wheels. 285/70/17 bffoodrich tires. Stock suspension. I had to jack the torsion bar up an inch and cut the fender well due to rub. Fits perfect. Also check out Tirerack on buying these. I saved 200-300 dollars and they include the caps for the 100 series.
Yeah I was looking at Tire Rack originally, but Nomad currently has a site-wide 25% off sale which makes it slightly cheaper to buy from Nomad directly, but I'm not sure if they include the high clearance center caps.

I've never trimmed a fender before so I'll have to figure out what that would entail, something to research... And I'm in an LX with AHC, so unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can get away with a simple torsion bar adjustment. On top of that, it seems like Falken themselves says that their E-rated 285/70R17s are actually 33.0", while BFG says that their 285/70R17s are a bit smaller at 32.8".

So it seems like I'll need to find another way to lift my front end slightly, but I want to keep my AHC...

I always felt that 0 offset was excessive, almost 2.5" outboard from stock is a lot and sticks out a fair amount. You may not have issues with those small tires though. Do you even know if those wheels come in a 110 hub?

I always felt that 0 offset was excessive, almost 2.5" outboard from stock is a lot and sticks out a fair amount. You may not have issues with those small tires though. Do you even know if those wheels come in a 110 hub?
I'm not sure exactly what's meant by "110 hub", but there's only one option for the 5x150 bolt pattern - 17x8.5, 0mm offset.

Also, one more question - what lug nuts are you using, if you happen to remember?

I'm not sure exactly what's meant by "110 hub", but there's only one option for the 5x150 bolt pattern - 17x8.5, 0mm offset.

Also, one more question - what lug nuts are you using, if you happen to remember

Mine came with lug nuts and center caps from Tire rack, not entirely sure if they do from the website. I ordered them from there because mounting/balance/center caps were free. Center caps were pricey last I checked.

Also regarding the trimming. You could get a heat gun... I ended up using a circular saw

Also, one more question - what lug nuts are you using, if you happen to remember?
110 hub refers to the 110.3 hub bore (essentially the "hole" size in the middle of the wheel) which is actually not universal.

A lot of the lug nuts that come with aftermarket wheels are the "splined" ones that require a matching tool (which they usually come with). If you want to purchase your own, I think the normal 60 degree acorn style would work. I don't think the OEM nuts typically work with aftermarket wheels due to the flare at the base.

110 hub refers to the 110.3 hub bore (essentially the "hole" size in the middle of the wheel) which is actually not universal.

A lot of the lug nuts that come with aftermarket wheels are the "splined" ones that require a matching tool (which they usually come with). If you want to purchase your own, I think the normal 60 degree acorn style would work. I don't think the OEM nuts typically work with aftermarket wheels due to the flare at the base.
Thanks for the explanation! Also, the description of the Nomad Convoys says that they require "60 degree tuner lugs" - that's probably something else I should research. Ideally, I'd be able to use the factory toolkit or something similar enough to take the wheel off it pops on a trail... not sure if a product like that exists, or if I should just schlep my torque wrench and the spline adapter with me everywhere.
285/70/17 on zero offset is like perfect on a 100 to me..
Looks great, I'm assuming you have a lift since you have a Land Cruiser and not an LX? Did you need to trim or shape the liner?

Thanks for the explanation! Also, the description of the Nomad Convoys says that they require "60 degree tuner lugs" - that's probably something else I should research. Ideally, I'd be able to use the factory toolkit or something similar enough to take the wheel off it pops on a trail... not sure if a product like that exists, or if I should just schlep my torque wrench and the spline adapter with me everywhere.

Looks great, I'm assuming you have a lift since you have a Land Cruiser and not an LX? Did you need to trim or shape the liner?

It did have a 1.5 lift.

Not sure I trimmed anything until I went to 35s

Before you do anything make sure those wheels fit over 100 series front hubs. This is more than just the center bore. Most 5x150 aftermarket wheels are marketed for the Tundra which have a totally different hub design. If they need spacers to fit find different wheels.

Before you do anything make sure those wheels fit over 100 series front hubs. This is more than just the center bore. Most 5x150 aftermarket wheels are marketed for the Tundra which have a totally different hub design. If they need spacers to fit find different wheels.
I'm pretty sure they should, they are listed as compatible with the Land Cruiser 100 on both the Nomad and Tire Rack websites, and the Nomad website specifically mentions that you need to get larger center caps if you want to put them on a Land Cruiser 100 - I'm assuming they wouldn't say that if they didn't want you to put them on a 100 Series.

Strangely, the Nomad configurator doesn't list them as compatible with the LX 470, but I'm not too concerned there since there shouldn't be any mechanical differences in mounting wheels between the 100 Series and the LX 470, right?

Reactions: GTV
Went ahead and placed the order... apparently the Falken Wildpeaks are backordered and won't arrive in stock until the 29th of December so maybe I'll have to do some research and see what else is out there. On KO2s right now, but I'm looking for something slightly more road oriented.

1000009501.png

Went ahead and placed the order... apparently the Falken Wildpeaks are backordered and won't arrive in stock until the 29th of December so maybe I'll have to do some research and see what else is out there. On KO2s right now, but I'm looking for something slightly more road oriented.

View attachment 3475991
You think the Wildpeaks are more road friendly than KO2s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom