Thinking of bringing some 16 & 17 inch wheels to market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Give me those grey poverty pack looking steelies. I want my LC looking like a 3rd world UN vehicle vs fake bead locks bro doser.

Has nothing to do with what I'm running, ignore that part if you want. Running bigger tires is better off road.... I'd run 37s if I could. The 100 series isn't some mythical beast that defies all norms and logic. Bigger tires are still better off road.
Omg...of course taller tires are better off road. I hope you don't think that's a secret that only you figured out. But again, the OP is trying to get some wheels made with a broad appeal to 100 series owners, most of whom are deciding which width and aspect ratio they want for their 33's, maybe pushing to 34's if they can make it work with minimal mods. This is what people are doing, whether it is the very best off road solution or not. There are far more overland types on this site than Rock Crawlers or Mud Boggers combined. So that is the market. And don't forget that E7 went all over the world in Landcruisers on 255/85/16's which were neither the tallest nor widest that they could have fit.

Give me those grey poverty pack looking steelies. I want my LC looking like a 3rd world UN vehicle vs fake bead locks bro doser.

Aren't they available from Toyota? What size do you want?

Aren't they available from Toyota? What size do you want?
I think they are in 18's but I could be wrong. A 17 inch version would be awesome. I agree with @tacoduck steelies in grey is a good look, simple and unfussy. The one thing I do like about my Icons is the color, grey (gunmetal or otherwise) is a decent color for wheels IMO. Take that with a pinch of salt though as I have a black truck

^THIS

12E0C0A7-2105-4631-8408-5B95E7173825.png

Omg...of course taller tires are better off road. I hope you don't think that's a secret that only you figured out. But again, the OP is trying to get some wheels made with a broad appeal to 100 series owners, most of whom are deciding which width and aspect ratio they want for their 33's, maybe pushing to 34's if they can make it work with minimal mods. This is what people are doing, whether it is the very best off road solution or not. There are far more overland types on this site than Rock Crawlers or Mud Boggers combined. So that is the market. And don't forget that E7 went all over the world in Landcruisers on 255/85/16's which were neither the tallest nor widest that they could have fit.

Obviously not, no need to be condescending. I didn't make the broad generalizations itt.

Just bringing it up for future reference so any new guy searching this thread doesn't read "33s are the best" and then start taking that as gospel. Pushing larger tires isn't that bad.

I am in for 16" wheels if they keep it less blingy. I'd prefer to stick to 16" myself with enough room to run a conservative center cap. I'd be interested in something like whats pictures here, stolen from the tundra wheel thread. Same color too. Not too wild on running spacers either.

unadjustednonraw_thumb_427b-jpg.2011881

How you liking those Geolandars? Really considering these as an MT option. I run KO2.

I've been looking at steel wheels while I wait for other samples to arrive. Anyone have a preference between these styles? What about satin vs glossy?

poll.jpg

Or this 8 hole...

8hole.jpg

Reactions: BEG
I get what you're saying. I like that look, too. But the oem small holes you're talking about are 6.5 width for 16 and 7 for 17. It's just too small in my opinion. I know they (17"? 16x6.5) did come on some 100 series but there's a user here from Saudi or UAE who said he was frequently losing the bead with them.

Edit: I just looked it up. He had the 17x7 on his 200 series but the tires were too wide, so that explains that. The 17x7 are available from partsouq for $888 shipped for 4.

Last edited:
I've been looking at steel wheels while I wait for other samples to arrive. Anyone have a preference between these styles? What about satin vs glossy?

View attachment 2079446

Or this 8 hole...

View attachment 2079449

Number 3 is probably the best. 4 is similar to a wheel successfully used by many 60 owners. Unfortunately it doesn't always translate that it would work as well on a different series, looks wise. Tough to say without seeing it on the vehicle. Anyone good with imaging software?

As for gloss, the less shine the better IMO so Satin would likely win and preferably not black, for me anyway

I would still prefer something that is closer to the steelies previously mentioned

What do you think about those 17x7 oem I posted a link to? Too narrow? Don't like the standard offsets (+50 in that case)? Looking for 16's? Too expensive? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

partsouq for $888 for 4 shipped to USA. I'd need to confirm the offset, but I think I came across it while researching. They were on the 200 series. It's around that and unlikely to be +60 on a 7" width.

There are some non-oem options. Let me know what you do and don't like about it if you'd want something different.

Last edited:
Back in town. Time for an update ...and more feedback

Based on the previous input I decided a 17 inch wheel at around +35 offset with a big enough barrel to fit over late 200 series brakes would likely be the single best-selling option I could offer. Basically a RockWarrior alternative with a slightly more aggressive offset.

Long story short, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, though +60 offset factory-look options are plenty. Actually there is a sweet TRD style at +30ET, but it looked a little 'thin' and I'm not about to put anyone in potential danger with an under-rated wheel.

So I went ahead and ordered a 17" +60 replica wheel. See below.

17.jpg

This style is what was available to me first. Like I said there are others. However, I'm now leaning against 17" options given what I found next. (I also ordered a custom 17" +35 steel wheel which I cancelled after it was made rather than pay the shipping cost.)

It seems someone else had my idea first and came up with the same exact target wheel.

Three styles of 17x8.5 +35 each available in multiple colors. Plus a solid rating they feel confident enough stating. I don't know if they fit late 200 series, but I'm not planning to compete with that. I think they're a pretty new offering. Check em out if that's what you're interested in. Probably better for 200 people.

Ok, so what now? There are several good looking factory style 16" wheels. In this case not a pure replica like the 17" sample I got, but 'downsized' versions of 17 or 18 LC and LX wheels. I like that part because it fits the look, but offers something fresh. The issue with those IMO is that we already have good 16" wheels that typically trade hands for reasonable money. I'm not sure of the demand for another 16x8 +60, in other words.

So I'm down to maybe three options to offer something different. While I'm not ruling them out, they're each pretty niche.

Option 1: A 16" or 17" steel functional beadlock. Enough said. The people who made my steel wheel sample can do this, but probably not that many people want beadlocks. Price is reasonable, actually.

Option 2: I've been talking with a guy who makes custom forged wheels. He and I could work on a wheel that we verify works dimensionally and aesthetically, and then he could make them to order and ship directly. This is a cool option because it takes the $ risk mostly out of my hands. Cast wheels have to be ordered in bulk and I'd have to store and ship them. This would alleviate that and allows for more customization per order (color, width, engraved logo, etc). Could maybe even develop multiple styles over time based on customer requests.

This would be fun and a nice thing for anyone in the community who wants a set, but by the nature of it some people are priced out or just not interested in the investment. Just for reference these are my first thought.

forged.jpg

Option 3: This is the final sample I have on hand.

16.jpg

16x7 0ET 79 series replica for the pizza cutter fans. It's actually a really nicely made wheel. Machined face with the indented areas painted. This sample didn't come with a center to fill the hole in the cap, but final ones would. At the moment this is the style I'm most considering, but I'd sure like to know approximately how many people would be interested first. I've come this far so I'd probably go for it if it seems there's a little demand, but realistically this would probably be a one time thing which isn't what I originally had in mind.

Thanks for reading this far. Let me know if you have any thoughts. This started as an attempt at a sustainable side business, but because of the non-massive LC market here and failing to find a perfect option, it will likely just continue for fun, if at all.

PS. Contact me if you want the 16" or 17" samples I have. Also if you're near East TN and have a 200 series, I'd still like to test the 17" just in case I end up ordering some in the future.

Back in town. Time for an update ...and more feedback

Based on the previous input I decided a 17 inch wheel at around +35 offset with a big enough barrel to fit over late 200 series brakes would likely be the single best-selling option I could offer. Basically a RockWarrior alternative with a slightly more aggressive offset.

Long story short, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, though +60 offset factory-look options are plenty. Actually there is a sweet TRD style at +30ET, but it looked a little 'thin' and I'm not about to put anyone in potential danger with an under-rated wheel.

So I went ahead and ordered a 17" +60 replica wheel. See below.

View attachment 2104880

This style is what was available to me first. Like I said there are others. However, I'm now leaning against 17" options given what I found next. (I also ordered a custom 17" +35 steel wheel which I cancelled after it was made rather than pay the shipping cost.)

It seems someone else had my idea first and came up with the same exact target wheel.

Three styles of 17x8.5 +35 each available in multiple colors. Plus a solid rating they feel confident enough stating. I don't know if they fit late 200 series, but I'm not planning to compete with that. I think they're a pretty new offering. Check em out if that's what you're interested in. Probably better for 200 people.

Ok, so what now? There are several good looking factory style 16" wheels. In this case not a pure replica like the 17" sample I got, but 'downsized' versions of 17 or 18 LC and LX wheels. I like that part because it fits the look, but offers something fresh. The issue with those IMO is that we already have good 16" wheels that typically trade hands for reasonable money. I'm not sure of the demand for another 16x8 +60, in other words.

So I'm down to maybe three options to offer something different. While I'm not ruling them out, they're each pretty niche.

Option 1: A 16" or 17" steel functional beadlock. Enough said. The people who made my steel wheel sample can do this, but probably not that many people want beadlocks. Price is reasonable, actually.

Option 2: I've been talking with a guy who makes custom forged wheels. He and I could work on a wheel that we verify works dimensionally and aesthetically, and then he could make them to order and ship directly. This is a cool option because it takes the $ risk mostly out of my hands. Cast wheels have to be ordered in bulk and I'd have to store and ship them. This would alleviate that and allows for more customization per order (color, width, engraved logo, etc). Could maybe even develop multiple styles over time based on customer requests.

This would be fun and a nice thing for anyone in the community who wants a set, but by the nature of it some people are priced out or just not interested in the investment. Just for reference these are my first thought.

View attachment 2104875

Option 3: This is the final sample I have on hand.

View attachment 2104882

16x7 0ET 79 series replica for the pizza cutter fans. It's actually a really nicely made wheel. Machined face with the indented areas painted. This sample didn't come with a center to fill the hole in the cap, but final ones would. At the moment this is the style I'm most considering, but I'd sure like to know approximately how many people would be interested first. I've come this far so I'd probably go for it if it seems there's a little demand, but realistically this would probably be a one time thing which isn't what I originally had in mind.

Thanks for reading this far. Let me know if you have any thoughts. This started as an attempt at a sustainable side business, but because of the non-massive LC market here and failing to find a perfect option, it will likely just continue for fun, if at all.

PS. Contact me if you want the 16" or 17" samples I have. Also if you're near East TN and have a 200 series, I'd still like to test the 17" just in case I end up ordering some in the future.
I would order a set of five 16x7x0ET so long as they were forged and reasonably priced. It'd be awesome if they came in under 20 lbs per wheel.

They're cast, not forged. It weighs 22lbs.

On that subject... I know it's usually said that the factory wheels are forged, but is there any documentation of that? They looked cast to me based on memory. And one of the manufactures Toyota used was Dicastal, an America company. (They sometimes used multiple companies for a single style according to the part diagrams.) To my knowledge they don't make any forged wheels.

They're cast, not forged. It weighs 22lbs.

On that subject... I know it's usually said that the factory wheels are forged, but is there any documentation of that? They looked cast to me based on memory. And one of the manufactures Toyota used was Dicastal, an America company. (They sometimes used multiple companies for a single style according to the part diagrams.) To my knowledge they don't make any forged wheels.
Fair point on the forged vs cast. Weight isn't terrible given how much metal is in these. Curious what the OEM 79s weigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom