They give me the fizz every time I use one... Knipex Pliers Wrenches! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, these are my favorites. In installation work, you might save steps when something is solved with these, and you don't have to go and get some other tool. And these won't ruin the bolt heads, unlike an adjustable wrench.
IMG_20200228_193104.jpg

I will admit 8m a tool junkie. I will purchase a tool for job if I think I need it. Just like having the proper tool. Anyhow, I found a knipex diagonal 8" cutters yesterday. I immediately notice they are made in Germany. I figured I wipe them down give it a coworker and he turns them down. So I test stack 5 sheets if paper and easily cuts them. Clean cut without effort. Not joking, man I fell in love with them. I have never heard of this brand. So that researched them, I will be purchasing several types soon. I already like them better than the Klien brand. About the bad thing about them is the price.

still have not found my new baby Pliers Wrench. Dang.... And it's not like a bunch of people have access to my shop cuz of course that would explain that, being so cute and all. So must be that they are so small they fell behind some junk. Sheesh.... If so, I'll never find them again...

Found it! Having just posted that, I went looking in less obvious places. Thanks, mudders! And, no, it was not under another tool, it was on top of a pile of oil containers, kinda outta sight, above eye level. No idea why I would even put it there.
Learned something today: Don't just drop your tools any old odd place when working, put them in an obvious spot in the way, so you can find them easily later on...
Learned something else: it's time to clean up and organize that shop, slacker!

Found it! Having just posted that, I went looking in less obvious places. Thanks, mudders! And, no, it was not under another tool, it was on top of a pile of oil containers, kinda outta sight, above eye level. No idea why I would even put it there.
Learned something today: Don't just drop your tools any old odd place when working, put them in an obvious spot in the way, so you can find them easily later on...
Learned something else: it's time to clean up and organize that shop, slacker!
Yeah misplacing a 50+ $$$ tool versus a 10$ tool will hurt some feelings for sure.

Love the Knipex. Have them everywhere. Best pliers I have ever owned

Funny, a friend was just thanking me for suggesting them to his wife before Christmas.

Love mine, both the pliers wrenches and cobras.

The pliers wrench really is the exception to "An adjustable wrench is, by definition, the wrong tool".

After reading this thread I got my first one for Xmas, the 5", to try them out. First use was loosening the flatheads holding the trans into my Capra. One, of course, had been dragged across a rock and the Allen key that fit was skipping and the next size bigger wouldn't fit. Using the plier wrench I was able to get it to fit and then be turned to get the screw out.
Clearly I'm going to need some bigger ones.

glad it worked for you. Bit curious though: I do not recall ever seeing a flathead bolt with Allen key that also has outside hex faces that one could set the Plier Wrench on. Is that what you had? Or did you mean something like holding the Allen key with the Knipex?

I first was able to grab the 2mm hex key with the pliers and force the key into the socket past the rock induced burr. Then I grabbed the key on opposing flats with the pliers and could generate enough torque to pop the screw loose. I was pushing the long end in because it has the ball and those are usually easier to get to go into a banged up socket.

I have a few K into knipex stuff, the only things that aren't awesome are the normal side cutters and needle nose. The 10" high leverage side cutters (74 01 250) would not cut through the larger AHC lines on an lx470. My 7" snap on vector edge (87acf) cut through them like a zip tie. Snap on needle nose are cheap for how great they are.

Oddly enough, the pliers wrenches are the ones I use the least. My favorites are the 125mm cobras, cable shears and electronics super knips. I do a lot of wiring, so their ferrule crimper is thing of beauty.

I have a Knipex side cutter, it works fine, but is rated for specific hardness and thickness, like so many mms of piano wire, although I imagine that has more to do with damaging the cutting edge than cutting ability. Also have some electric wire cutters (the 2 notches type) for copper -up to 00 or something like that- that work great too.

I have a few K into knipex stuff, the only things that aren't awesome are the normal side cutters and needle nose. The 10" high leverage side cutters (74 01 250) would not cut through the larger AHC lines on an lx470. My 7" snap on vector edge (87acf) cut through them like a zip tie. Snap on needle nose are cheap for how great they are.

Oddly enough, the pliers wrenches are the ones I use the least. My favorites are the 125mm cobras, cable shears and electronics super knips. I do a lot of wiring, so their ferrule crimper is thing of beauty.
Looks like this was Peace's 1000th post!

Knipex now offers a 22” model. 8701560US

It has worked well for my adjustable control arms nuts and should work for the covers on my rear bumper swing arms. I think the opening is max 4.5”.

I have a Knipex side cutter, it works fine, but is rated for specific hardness and thickness, like so many mms of piano wire, although I imagine that has more to do with damaging the cutting edge than cutting ability. Also have some electric wire cutters (the 2 notches type) for copper -up to 00 or something like that- that work great too.

They work fine, just not what I was expecting from the long handles. I keep them in my tool bag because I know the won’t break if I had to cut something ridiculous in a pinch. Snap on’s are in my home and work toolboxes to keep my hands from getting worn out.. that’s also where I keep the knipex cobolt cutters too - those are fantastic.

I have the 1 and 2 groove cable shears, the 1 groove are the best wire strippers for anything bigger than 8 gauge.

I was wrong, Knipex claims that that little 2 notches cable shears will cut 51/64" (about 0.8") of stranded copper. That is a lot bigger than 00 AWG (unless they meant with the insulation). I ended up choosing that one because the front notch is great for insulation stripping and the rear one cuts bigger cable than other similar size shears from what I saw.

Have you tried these? Bought these for cutting those insulation wires, they work really well.

Knipex 71 32 200 Comfort Grip High Leverage CoBolt Cutter with Notch and Spring https://a.co/d/4Txeewd

no, I don't have one of those. They do look intended for metal rods, bolts, etc, though, not so much electrical wires. They have quite a few other types that look better suited for the latter, I think. But if it works well for you, great. Always good to try new things.

The snap on guy finally stopped by the shop where I work to warranty some stuff and try and sell us some over priced tools. He was giving out tickets to a raffle to win a snap on RC truck, I left the ticket on his bench because I don't care about that kind of stupid salesman BS, it really gets on my nerves.
He was giving me his best sales pitch and I spotted some Knipex cobra pliers out of the corner of my eye. (I already own a vast collection of Knipex tools)

"Ohh nice, Knipex, those are really great tools you know"
He hasn't been back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom