There Will NOT Be A Pesky Heater Hose DVD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you who asked....the pesky heater hose DVD will not be available because it is rated NC-17 for frequent language, graphical violence and blood. The only part that could possibly survive editing would be the part where I drained the radiator...and even THAT had foul language. My good luck of tackling hard FJ-80 chores with ease caught up with me tonight...this PHH simply kicked my ass.

But its done, and I went with standard Gates heater hose and farmer hose clamps. I had to remove the starter and wrestle my arms up into the engine bay...a task that could be much easier if you could get the truck up on a lift and stand beneath it. I have no advice for those who have not yet done it other than it would also be a good time to change the fuel filter.

Last edited:
I feel so bad for you big guys! Being 5'8" and 135 only sucks when you find yourself stuck in a room with a bunch of friends and somebody looks up at the air vent, then you, air vent then you...... Muhahahahahaaaaaa

I knew i should not have read this post....Im finally almost done with all the PM on my rig except for the PHH and now I am definatley not looking forward to it...oh well atleast the dealership did the front axle for me when I bought mine.

I just had to go "back in" a second time due to a leak. I was hmm, a little upset to say the least. But being a PHH vet and familiar with the contortions neccessary, I got in there lickity split - turns out the clamp was just a smidge loose as my first go around I was worried about crushing the pipe. Tightened it and observed for a week - and no leaks.

***Tip on getting the old clamps off - use a dremel with the small red cutoff wheel an the pencil ? extension cable deal - it does fit and makes fairly quick work of the clamp. Just be sure to stop when you cut through the metal clamp so as not to damage the pipe itself - although you have the rubber hose there as a buffer, so this shouldn't be an issue.

This PHH is a real Toy engineering fu, isn't it? I can remember when Robbie was telling me how his blew in N. Mexico summer, miles from anywhere. He did this fix by himself, what a sweat. He also did mine. I'm fortunate to live only a few miles from Slee Off Road.

We need to put our heads together and come up with a perminant fix to the engineering mess...

remove the pipe and run a hose all the way down??? that is the fix i contemplated while bruising my a$$ sitting on a gravel Napa parking lot for 3 hours this weekend.... persuading the particular hose to behave in an appropriate mannor... i was lucky woke up from the hotel drove 2 blocks to the gas station ... saw the leak... dove 3 blocks to napa.... yuk what a crappy location for a hose...

dan

dfmorse said:
We need to put our heads together and come up with a perminant fix to the engineering mess...

If the OEM Toyota hose last's for at least 100K...I would feel confident that the Gates hose combined with the constant clamps is a perminant fix....

TX_TLC said:
If the OEM Toyota hose last's for at least 100K...I would feel confident that the Gates hose combined with the constant clamps is a perminant fix....

Agreed,

I replaced the "original" PHH on mine at 108,000 but it looked to be perfect to me. After having read several horror stories here ...I chose to change it out at my convenience rather than in an emergency setting.

I'm pretty anal about preventitive maintenance anyway...so it made sense.
I was actually disappointed to find the old hose still in good shape. It took me about an hour to do, but definitely was no fun.

6'5".....250lbs., big hands and forearms, stuffed up under a wheel well, 50 yrs. old!

Well......you get the idea.

I hope the current hose is permanent, or at least lasts until I have to rebuild the engine.

Did mine this past weekend (out of necessity) and was definitely one of the more frustrating exercises I have done in my adult life.

Put in aerospace quality silicone and constant tension clamps so as I will never have to worry about that sumbits again.

The only issue I have is the hard hose and the block nipple don't line up perfectly... there is about a 10 degree bend that the hose easily accommodates... but I know it isn't right.

I have extra hose and 2 sets of clamps if anyone wants this set up and doesn't want to pay for a foot.

Package of 60mm and 2 clamps... PM me for price.

Houston FZJ80 said:
Did mine this past weekend (out of necessity) and was definitely one of the more frustrating exercises I have done in my adult life.
The only issue I have is the hard hose and the block nipple don't line up perfectly... there is about a 10 degree bend that the hose easily accommodates... but I know it isn't right.

I cannot imagine having to address a PHH failure in a parking lot somewhere because I used damn near every tool in my Craftsman toolboxes. I too thought there was going to be an alignment issue but I had my significant other in the engine bay rotating the pipe, which I had disconnected from the heater valve hose, and together we managed to get it fully in line.

Snap on makes hose picks. Bascially just a curved, sharp, tarpered spike. They let you get under the old hose and pry it off. Makes life much easier!

Jim,

I assume you removed the the tranny dipstick tube to free up more room, and loosened the top bolt to the heater down pipe?? This job is definitely a little nerve racking, but your experience seems to be quite a bit beyond the normal PITA experience. This is about a 3 'F'-bomb job.

dfmorse said:
This PHH is a real Toy engineering fu, isn't it? I can remember when Robbie was telling me how his blew in N. Mexico summer, miles from anywhere. He did this fix by himself, what a sweat. He also did mine. I'm fortunate to live only a few miles from Slee Off Road.

If you don't mind me asking, how much $$ for them to do the job?

Jim, that's funny stuff man! I remember when mine blew i happened to be near a mechanic friend. Took it to him and halfway through he cursed me for bringing him such a thing and then had me attempt to get the new hose on. Ended up taking the both of us several hours of curse words, bloody knuckles and hurt egos.

Houston FZJ80 said:

Put in aerospace quality silicone and constant tension clamps so as I will never have to worry about that sumbits again.

I have extra hose and 2 sets of clamps if anyone wants this set up and doesn't want to pay for a foot.

Package of 60mm and 2 clamps... PM me for price.
PM sent on extra PHH stuff...

Thanks!
Chip

interesting tidbit up there...
I want to change my starter contacts at some point.
Would it make more sense to do both starter and PHH at the same time?
PHH easier if starter is removed?

chip7238 said:
PM sent on extra PHH stuff...

Thanks!
Chip

Hey there fellow Knoxvillian. I PM'd you! I've got some of the good silicone hose left over from my PHH job. I'll cut a piece off you can have. You can get the constant tension hose clamps for about $3.50 a rattle. I think the Napa off Middlebrook keeps a couple on hand.

:beer:
Rookie2

I keep a small shrine to the gods of the PHH in my garage. Candles constantly lit, soft music in the background, offerings of toyota red coolant and silicon hoses respectfully placed on it...

I SO do not look forward to this job. Large forearms, abnormally large hands and wrists the size of most women's ankles are not going to be of any help with this one.

Jim - if you did record it, I wouldn't mind seeing the raw footage. I have adult ears and have heard just about every curse word out there...

I'm not looking forward to this job. I inspected my PHH and found it to be in great shape, but as others have said might as well replace it. The rig has 160k and I'm 99% sure that the P.O. never replaced it. I probably tackle the fuel filter at the same time.

The PITA factor for this job is directly proportional to how long you have your head cocked sideways and jambed up into the wheel well. So my recommendation is to follow the many suggestions that have been posted on this deal, pull you panties up and you'll be fine.

Here's a summary of some helpful hints to minimize the time in cramped quarters:

1) Jack the rig up enough so you can sit under it in the wheel well and take the wheel off. Put a thick towel or pillow on the break rotor for a nice and cumpfy back rest.
2) Unbolt and remove the tranny dip stick tube.
3) Cut the cotter pin clamp off with a Dremel. Takes two seconds to buzz right through it. The other clamp is too close to the block so you have to squeeze it with a wrench and pull it off.
4) Loosen the top bolt on the heater down pipe. That will allow it to move "some".
5) Cut the existing PHH off with a utility knife
6) Use KY jelly to pull the new one on, be patient... you just got to work it on, and for heavens sack don't forget to thread your clamps on before you get that new hose on.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom