There Will NOT Be A Pesky Heater Hose DVD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

25 bucks....what a....deal...? :D Is there a Mud special? ;)

Yeah... this weekend I am adding Gates Green Stripe and sleeved clamps for $15 shipped.

Anybody every had a replacement hose fail? What's so much better about the blue hose vs. the easy to find gates or whatever they carry at Napa?

Here are your typical hose selections:

1) cheapest import quality - do not use
2) normal Gates or Goodyear hose - probably on par with stock Toyota
3) heavy duty Gates (Green Stripe) or Goodyear (High Miler) - more durable than stock Toyota - harder to install
4) silicone hose - more durable and more delicate than stock Toyota - easier to install

Silicone hose can take higher temps than the heavy duty or normal duty rubber hose. It is more easily damaged by clamping, and does not bond to the metal pipes as rubber hose does. Thus it can leak slightly when cold. That is why the odd looking lined clamps with the constant torque springs are recommended. The silicone hose is easier to install if you are unable or unwilling to remove the metal downpipe.

Gates manufactures and sells regular duty hose, heavy duty hose, and silicone hose. They claim the heavy duty hose has the same life span as the silicone hose, does not cold leak, and is not subject to physical damage from clamps in the manner that silicone hose is.

I expect that both the heavy duty hose and the silicone hose will last much longer than the stock Toyota hose. That is the point, to not have to do the replacement more than once.

Thats about all there is to know about that!

Last edited:
This PHH thing has really taken a life of it's own. The worst part of removing the original is dealing with the factory clamps. The second time around the job is much easier. Then again that would be 100k later for most.

Easy to find Gates Green Stripe? Man... no one in 30 mi rad had Green Stripe in 5/8ths. 1 in only. I spent 3+ hours just looking for the damn stuff. Finally ordered what I could... Anyone tell me where you can get Green Stripe online even... I am getting some Green Stirpe 5/8th through a distributor and am going to put a cheapy option at the bottom of my page with sleeved clamps. Min order of 5 ft.

And NAPA gold crap isn't green stirpe. Gold stripe is rated to 214 degrees. .. which I have seen in my truck. Gates is at least rated to 246 I think.

Plus... CT clamps on silicone, or whatever hose for that matter is what I would use on a critical part like the PHH.

I will tell you, when I took off my replaced, blown PHH.. the clamps had about zero tensions on them.

Anyone have a good source for Gates hoses online?

NAPA Gold Stripe specs:

SAE20R1, Class B1, Class C Neoprene Cover, 3/16 wall, 2 ply cord, Nitrile tube, 212F, oil compatible, 60psi working pressure. PN 632.

212F? I have seen that driving to my mail box.

Houston FZJ80 said:
Ok... with all the inquiries about the Silicone PHH Kits, I pushed to get the site up early.

Let me know what you guys think.

I am still working on the tutorials.

http://www.1fzfephh.com/

e-mailSilicone1timePHH.jpg

Thanks Houston FZJ80 for putting this together and making the choices available. I see no reason to call around all over town to find the parts now that this option is available. How much is your time worth?

I move that this should be put in as a sticky, vendor, or in the FAQ's.

LandCruiserPhil said:
Thanks Houston FZJ80 for putting this together and making the choices available. I see no reason to call around all over town to find the parts now that this option is available. How much is your time worth?

I move that this should be put in as a sticky, vendor, or in the FAQ's.
I agree. Well worth a spot in the vendor section and references elsewhere.

Utah!, get me two!

placing an order for two right away.

if this doesn't become a sticky, you should at least post it as a new thread.
my PHH looks fine but my roommate is about to drive across country from so-cal to VA. i checked his PHH the other day and it looked like it was going to burst just sitting there in the driveway. i have committed myself to fixing it, but i wonder how fast you can get the kit to me. i have less than two weeks. er... like i said, placing an order tomorrow.

miked said:
Utah!, get me two!

placing an order for two right away.

if this doesn't become a sticky, you should at least post it as a new thread.
my PHH looks fine but my roommate is about to drive across country from so-cal to VA. i checked his PHH the other day and it looked like it was going to burst just sitting there in the driveway. i have committed myself to fixing it, but i wonder how fast you can get the kit to me. i have less than two weeks. er... like i said, placing an order tomorrow.

Mike, if you can't get the kit you can find the clamps at Autozone, or Napa as well as a good hose not as good as the one in the kit but good enough. I was going to get this kit but I needed it right away so I had to go shopping for the parts.

thanks Biff.
unfortunately, my roommate and i both know people who work in aerospace. i know that doesn't even remotely apply to this application, but start mentioning things like design/pressure limits, and margins ..and the next thing you know, you're replacing retaining screws with a titanium bolts.

My time is around $75 hr right now... and I spend a lot looking and researching this crap. Actually I don't know who originally found the Clamps, but man are those a nice piece of engineering...

I went to NAPA and autozone to find the hose/clamps... my local stores didn't have them and wouldn't order them. That's why I decided to wait for the products and fix it right the first time.

I also wanted to do something for this forum.... it rocks and has saved me a lot of dealer $$$$. I am honestly not making a profit on these things after shipping, packaging, time to go to the post office, etc...

I just knew how much time I spent on replacing the muthafer and didn't want to do it ever again. And I plan on keepin it for a while.

Oh BTW... cdan is getting a free kit for being the man on this forum... I know he has this set-up already, but he can have one as a trail spare...

PM me for an adress. If he doesn't need it, his dogs can chew on the silicone as a toy.

lol. Are you almost done with your write up? Can't wait to tackle this one with out the war plan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom