The Wedding Present (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been a long time stalker and have just recently started post things to MUD. I have decided that now it is time for me to make my own build thread. So here it is. I got the Pig approximately 10 years ago as wedding/engagement present. Before I got married, I spent some time and money on it. Then I got married… It has basically sat since:frown:. Recently I have got motivated to work on it again and it is getting pretty close to being able to be registered again. This is good since I have moved it (via a trailer) from three houses over the years. It is a 1977, with a SBC, and dealer air (which doesn’t work) ad other than that it is a mostly stock 55. Here are the pictures when I got it. As for the future plans, I would like to make it a camping/hunting rig. What that means I am not sure right now but I will figure it out on the way.
Treye

SANY0253.jpg

SANY0255.jpg

SANY0254.jpg

Welcome

Welcome to the Swine Flu group! If you been lurking for years you know what a great group is here. They will not only provide encouragement, technical help, and even some times some sympathy. Glad you have a chance to get started now. Have fun!

By the way chances of recovery from the swine flu are somewhere on the low side of slim to none! ;)

Good to have you here, Treye!

Sounds like you got one heck of a Wife. Now, if you can just get her to buy some parts. :)

Tell us your short and long term plans, for the wagon.

better late than never........very cool.

So the 55 was actually a present from the best man and the wife has mainly tried to ignore it. However recently there have been very little objections to the expenses. I think she has finally realized that it isn't going away so it might as well work.

I have recently replaced the front calipers, rebuilt the rear wheel cylinders, rebuilt the master cylinder, installed an old lock rite in the rear, new intake and carb. I am currently working on the rear window and ac. My hope is to get registered and use it as a daily driver well I work out the kinks. The wiring is a complete mess, between the po and the Arizona pack rats it is quite challenging.

The main hurdle to getting it registered is the emission here. I have been stalling trying to figure out a way so I don't have to install a couple of cats and smog pump...

The main hurdle to getting it registered is the emission here. I have been stalling trying to figure out a way so I don't have to install a couple of cats and smog pump...

Im sure you'll get it figured out without going through that trouble. Seems there quite a few Cali guys on here with pigs and i dont remember any of them mentioning adding cats or a smog pump.

I know my state (which is very lax when it comes to emissions so take this with a grain of sand) But if it didnt come with a cat from the factory its grand fathered in, thus not needing one. Plus anything thats pre-cat (around there) has a little more lenient emission standards (since there vintage vehicles)

btw, looks like you got a good start on her! keep it up man!

Nice project.

I'd ditch that rear bumper though; pig corners are hard to come by.
Better to scrape a bumper and lose four inches of approach angle than doing body work.

Rattle can job sure cleaned it up, solidwork :cheers:

Yeah the rattle can paint is truly lipstick on a pig.. sorry I couldn't resist. I am working on the rear window currently. I got it back together but it isn't running a smoothly as I would like. It seemi that the gears on the arms are out of time, as the window is slightly cockeyed. What is the best procedure for getting the to time correctly. I think I am a tooth off. I used vise graps to prevent it from springing out but I think the po had an issue with it since there was a brass gear in it when I took it apart.

You pretty much just have to play with them. The springs are strong, so watch your fingers

If you are off by a tooth you are going to have to get the window tray off the arms and then run the motor until the gears are no longer engaged and then start over. Get them engaged. A helper can be useful, as long as they don't enagage the motor when your fingers are in there!

I got my window working!!! I have been working on small things. Recently I pulled part of the dash and started cleaning it up. In the process of cleaning it the lettering started to wipe off. All I was using was water and a towel. Has this happened to anyone else? What is the best way to fix the lettering?

20130827_190014.jpg

20130827_190028.jpg

So I have a leaking head gasket on the 305. I have pullied the intake and started to pull the head when I had a better thought. I think I am going to drop a cadillac 500 cu in monster in the pig. I want to see the comments from the community before I commit to the swap. I currently have.the engine and transmission (th700r) sitting in the garage. However I would probably rebuild both of them before dropping them in. The plan would be to run the auto to a toybox to the Toyota tc. I plan on a soa and 35s. The rig will be used for light wheeling, hunting, and camping. Thoughts??? I am crazy?

So I have a leaking head gasket on the 305. I have pullied the intake and started to pull the head when I had a better thought. I think I am going to drop a cadillac 500 cu in monster in the pig. I want to see the comments from the community before I commit to the swap. I currently have.the engine and transmission (th700r) sitting in the garage. However I would probably rebuild both of them before dropping them in. The plan would be to run the auto to a toybox to the Toyota tc. I plan on a soa and 35s. The rig will be used for light wheeling, hunting, and camping. Thoughts??? I am crazy?

Sounds like it will take some time if you have to rebuild engine and tranny.

I would make sure they will fit!

Well, first problem being, the engine mounts will be different and will have to fab'd up. (not a big deal if you can fab.

Second problem, Cadillac 500ci engines are boat anchors (IMO) have some torque, but for the amount of time you would spend putting that thing in, you could just rebuild your 305 for very little money. and be back on the road quicker.

Third problem, 700r4's were never really known for being a super strong transmission (common weak link in a lot of there vehicles, unless built up. (on the plus side the overdrive is nice to have)

I never did see what trans you have in there now, but if not already a 700r4 i wouldn't put the 700r4 in.
Chances are good you would need to redo your driveshaft and trans mounts. (not that big of a deal)

If you already have a chevy transmission in there, i would just rebuild that and the engine. All old chevy stuff can be fixed cheap and quickly. Most average transmissions and be gone through properly in a afternoon, and the engine can be gone through in a weekend (not including machine shop time, if it needs it)

Thats just my 2 cents though.

Nick

Forgot to add. 500ci's are HUGE engines, chances are good its not going to fit anyways (without some extra fab)

I'm with Pablo, on this one. The rest of your drivetrain was not made for that size engine. Forever snapping things, yea you could start replacing with heavyduty this and that, but why go through all the trouble. Stick with the small block and sell the caddy.

Just my 2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom