Builds The Trail Snail Build | Above Average Overlandish (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stopped by the machine shop today and shared the photos with them. They highly susgested that I have the block decked.

So I've decided to have the block decked and bored. Also they will swap the new piston heads on, new rings and at a minimum polish the crank.

this just keeps getting more and more expensive.

Copper spray would have been fine.

How good is that tail gate BBQ!

Gold star to whomever notices whats new.
IMG_2250.JPG

DS headlight. I want candy instead of a star! :p

Well ok.. I've had this VHS for some time, its slightly used but in good condition... PM me your address..

candythestripper-afterdark1%20%28VHSCollector.com%29%20.jpg

Yea its the Headlight, my old one finally had broken all of its tabs and I got tired of the bouncing headlights at night. A quick search and I found depo's on ebay for $100 shipped per unit, the passenger side headlight on the slow boat right now.

I open the unit up and blacked out the surrounds of the reflector, I think it gives it a more updated look. Overall I'm very happy with the appearance

How did you go about re-sealing the headlights after painting surround.. Silicon or something more hi-tech..?

I retained all of the existing butyl glue so I just stuck it back together when hot and ratchet strapped them till it cooled. I've done tons of headlights like this and its worked, but if you want the extra insurance then get a tube of butyl glue and add a bead to the channel on the backer of of the head light.

I retained all of the existing butyl glue so I just stuck it back together when hot and ratchet strapped them till it cooled. I've done tons of headlights like this and its worked, but if you want the extra insurance then get a tube of butyl glue and add a bead to the channel on the backer of of the head light.

Awesome.. Thanks for the heads up, I'll order some up when I get to painting my depos..

completed my headlights tonight. Installed LED bulbs, with some adjustments their cutoff was pretty similar to the stock H4 bulbs.

Stock on passenger side, new on drivers side. Going to replace the passenger side
IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.jpg
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2274.jpg

Heres where it is critical to pay attention when using LED bulbs. You must adjust the diode holder so that its oriented the same way the stock H4 bulb is. It takes some trial and error but ultimately you can get it pretty darn close. I marked the spot with a sharpie. These lights also had a lock nut on the collar that you screw in when you find the butter zone.
IMG_2275.JPG

Going to moab at the end of this month for my bachelor's party and I don't have AC.... So I got serious about my water pump situation and made a portable pump box with quick connectors... And I found an old deck mister... and it works... hahaha
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG

Updates:

Anyway my bachelor party in moab was heaps of fun, we didn't get too wild yet went through enough whiskey and beer to kill a small elephant.

My best man rented three 1,000cc 2018 Polaris RZR's which were a blast and sooo much better than the 900cc unit I rented last year. The rental guys were trying to convince us to do fins n things and other mild slick rock but we all know that's not what these machines were really built for, so we loaded them up and took them to Dalton Wells for high speed fun.

For those of you not familiar with moab and the surrounding area, Dalton Wells is about 15 mins north of Moab right off of 191. While it's not particularly the most scenic camping area (considering the other options near by) it does have a great sandy river bed that has many features and jumps similar to what you might see on portions of the Baja 1000 track. We were hitting 65mph regularly and I once topped out at 75mph. Here is a satellite image of part of the river bed.
dalton.JPG

Luckily as rowdy as we got we only had several issues;
  1. my freind broke one CV axle shaft ($368 onsite fix)
  2. I lawn darted mine into a ravine at about 40mph (luckily it only cracked a plastic trim peice)
  3. the same friend who smoked the CV flopped his on its side (again only did a small trim piece... not sure how he got away with that)
  4. and the tie rod ends on my unit were so worn at the end of day 1 that I was terrified to drive it, so we swapped it out at High Point Rentals. (Don't think that was all on me though)
36643303_10104630392183933_9119983764494090240_n.jpg

IMG_0204.JPG

36632322_10104630466709583_6992517631915851776_n.jpg
36528703_10104630385063203_7295411022121140224_n.jpg

Other news:

The weekend before the trip I went up to the mountains to scout my buddy's wedding location and got to drive this bad boy.
IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

But more alarmingly on my climb up the passes my temps climbed like they had never before. I was running 200 degrees in the block, normal operation even on the passes I never see temps above 190. By the time I got to Frisco I had lost 2 liters of coolant which had puked out of the overflow bottle.
SIDE NOTE: Had I not replaced my instrument cluster with my custom gauges I never would have known that there was a cooling problem until it was too late. Sure the cooling system and engine are 'ok' to run up to 220 degrees or more but I know my rig and could instantly tell there was an issue. These gauges may have saved me from overheating my freshly rebuilt 4.6 1FZ-FE

An inspection turned up no leaks and the belts looked OK so I was terrified that I had a major issue / possible HG. Then the next day I went wheeling with the HJ75 shown above and the temps were all in the green.. I thought that perhaps my fan belts were slipping and / or the radiator cap was failing. A quick call to my buddy's shop and a day later I had OEM parts installed on my rig.

The true test was the following weekends' trip to Moab.

To my chagrin the belts and cap made the difference. I had the throttle wide open from Georgetown (8,530 ft) 13 miles to the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,015 ft), that's a gain of 2,485 ft over 13 miles. The Pict below was taken on the climb about 2 miles from the tunnel, I was shocked to see the engine actually cool down below 180 degrees when the fan clutch engaged.

IMG_0202.JPG

For those of you who have never been up to the tunnel its a long 6-7% approach, it test cooling systems and truck brakes. Every time I go up it in the summer there are usually 4-5 cars overheated on the side of the road.

Last edited:
Side by side curious I see

IMO they aren't meant for rock crawling so there is no threat to the trail snail's garage space. Those razors are basically miniaturized trophy trucks, high speed baja running and jumping.... We used all four of the bump stops at the same time many many times, not something that be pleasant doing in my Land Crusher. :grinpimp:

Also I've already got a readily available black hole to slingshot my money into, I'll give you a hint it's the focus of this thread. ;)

gathered up some courage..... applied some dielectric grease appropriately.... and set forth with the evening chore of engine douching.
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom