Builds The Story of Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
I am starting this thread to document my journey with this 2001 LX470. I have unimaginatively named it as Blue.

About a month ago while I was looking the MUD one last time in my bed I saw @CappyKD list his built up LX470 for unbelievably low price and jumped on it!

Since I have never bought any car sight unseen, I was very nervous about how it would go but Kirk was amazing to work with! He did way more than I would have expected of any seller! Always prompt in responding to my queries, going out of his way to expedite things and just in general being very generous with his time! Hat's off to him!

Current Condition: 160,000 miles - Not Running
Much to the chagrin of my poor wife - Blue arrived on the back of the trailer!
It has a long list of upgrades made over the last 10 years and being CA kept it is rust free! But it has been sitting at a ranch for about a year where mice chewed through a lot of wires and some hoses in the engine compartment. It needs a few injector harness and a couple coil plugs. Both batteries are also dead.
I will list the amazing number of upgrades in a separate post but want to note here, that it came with 4 brand new Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 295/70/18 (34.5") size

Pictures as she arrived:

20210303_160127.jpg

20210303_160151.jpg

20210303_165315.jpg

20210303_165337.jpg

Last edited:
Maintenance History
  • Full PM done at 110k Timing belt, all idlers and tensioners for timing and the serpentine belt, fan bracket, water pump and stat, plugs, radiator, hoses, fan clutch. All parts are OEM Toyota
  • OEM CV axle assemblies
  • New OEM wheel bearings and races at the same time.
  • New brakes 1000 miles ago Brembo blanks and Brembo pads front and rear

Mechanical
  • Factory AHC
  • Front Torsion bars replaced with TRD bars.
  • Rear springs replaced with NON AHC coils.
  • OEM Toyota Russian market cyclonic air cleaner with sand trap and washable round vs panel filter
  • 270 amp DC Power Inc alternator
  • Front and Rear TJM air lockers
  • Nitro Gear 4.88 differential gears
  • Doug Thorley headers, installed with cracks, have new stainless set of Thorley headers to replace, uninstalled
  • Not installed 40 gallon stock location Long Range Automotive fuel tank

Electrical
  • WARN 12000 lbs winch with Synthetic line
  • Dual Battery setup (I need to get a little more detail on this)
  • Alpine 7” DVD with Navi
  • 5 channel 100 watt per channel amp
  • J/L stealthbox 8” sub
  • 3000 watt inverter with remote turn on switch
  • Onboard dual battery Noco charger
  • Ironman dual battery system with dual group 31 batteries
  • All accessories powered by second battery
  • 2 sets of Rigid LED pods, one fog pattern in bumper, one driving pattern on bumper
Accessories/Armor
  • Ironman front bumper
  • ARB rear bumper with dual wheel carrier
  • ARB Onboard Air compressor for lockers and tire inflation mounted behind the passenger side fog light in the bumper.
  • Gamiviti full length roof rack
  • White Knuckle Off Road sliders with kick outs
  • Slee Off road front skid plate
  • Outback Drawers roller drawer with a roller top for a fridge.
  • Uninstalled OEM hand throttle kit with new OEM accelerator pedal with hand throttle support.

Last edited:
Started cleaning up the engine bay. The mice have chewed off a section of the insulation from fire wall and stuffed it all underneath the intake manifold. And then padded it all with sticks, poultry feathers and leaves! I am sure it mush have been super comfy for them, but it is serious work cleaning it all up!

Damage found so far: 4 fuel injector harness, 2 coil plug harness and 2 vacuum hoses chewed off. Not bad at all!

20210304_082433.jpg

20210304_103847.jpg

20210304_103853.jpg

20210304_103908.jpg

20210304_103916.jpg

Last edited:
reserved

reserved

• OEM Toyota Russian market cyclonic air cleaner with sand trap and washable round vs panel filter
I have been interested in this air cleaner set up versus the stock panel filter unit. Do you have a thread on this or is there another one?

I have been interested in this air cleaner set up versus the stock panel filter unit. Do you have a thread on this or is there another one?
There is a thread out there somewhere. Check my post history.

@ClassyJalopy. Cheers to you. Enjoy the rig.

You forgot to post the TJM lockers and regear to 4.88s from Nitro.

There is a thread out there somewhere. Check my post history.

@ClassyJalopy. Cheers to you. Enjoy the rig.

You forgot to post the TJM lockers and research to 4.88s from Nitro.
Good to see you here!
How did I miss something that huge!! Yes she is fully locked and geared up!!

Gee, I am glad they made themselves comfortable. Grrrr.

Also missing from mods list is new OEM CV axle assemblies which were installed when the diffs were. New OEM wheel bearings and races at the same time. Doug Thorley headers. (Installed set is mild steel and cracked at the flanges) provided new stainless Thorley replacement set to be installed.

Started cleaning up the engine bay. The mice have chewed off a section of the insulation from fire wall and stuffed it all underneath the intake manifold. And then padded it all with sticks, poultry feathers and leaves! I am sure it mush have been super comfy for them, but it is serious work cleaning it all up!

Damage found so far: 4 fuel injector harness, 2 coil plug harness and 2 vacuum hoses chewed off. Not bad at all!

View attachment 2602988

View attachment 2602989

View attachment 2602990

View attachment 2602991

View attachment 2602992
You need to lock that truck in your garage for a weekend along with 6 or so barn cats.

@CappyKD, I'm scared for you safety now, with all those bionic mice running around.
:bang: lol

😆 yep indeed. They got my new Tundra TRD Offroad in 3 weeks flat. Grrrr. I have the new replacement Tundra knock sensor harness wrapped in capsaicin tape. I also spray the engine every two days with a Essential oil based repellent and installed a couple of ultrasonic/ strobe light based underhood deterrent. Who knows if this will prevent another issue or not. If they try the knock sensor harness again they will be burning their lips and mouth off.

Holy s***. $6k, I just spilled my coffee out of my mouth when my jaw dropped.
CappyKD must of really paid it forwards in some way or another, and I hope you do too to the LC community.

You need to lock that truck in your garage for a weekend along with 6 or so barn cats.
Cats can't live here outdoors. Have already tried the feral cat approach and the Coyotes will get em. I wish the damn Coyotes ate the mice.

How about inviting the neighbors over for some mouse-kabobs?

Done in a Green Egg at 40% top and bottom venting for 47.23 minutes ... delish. So I'm told.

Holy s***. $6k, I just spilled my coffee out of my mouth when my jaw dropped.
CappyKD must of really paid it forwards in some way or another, and I hope you do too to the LC community.
I priced it crazy cheap yes, but since it doesn't run, has to be towed and I have no way to know if the mice ate other wires, I felt it was the only way to price it and not risk screwing the buyer over. If there is more damage IMO the copious mod list and rust free body and frame and drivetrain are still worth more than I sold it for. If not, at least it will live on for a fellow MUD member.

Done in a Green Egg at 40% top and bottom venting for 47.23 minutes ... delish. So I'm told.
Lolol

Cats can't live here outdoors. Have already tried the feral cat approach and the Coyotes will get em. I wish the damn Coyotes ate the mice.
Shoot the Coyotes and make a custom headliner?

What if I cook them for 47 minutes flat? Will they be too rare?

What is I cook them for 47 minutes flat? Will they be too rare?
The tendons won't quite fall off of the bone, more like tear off.

Again, so I'm told.

Coyote headliner = business opportunity!

(Sorry to hijack the thread Señor Classy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom