The size 35s Discussion and Pics (mods/ wheel & tire choices) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@nitteo we go way back, and the tires/wheels look great (although 0 offset is too much for me), but there's no denying they are correct and you are reducing articulation.

I'm slightly concerned that my 295/70/18s at +18 will hit the fender, per the concerns voiced in this thread (sans extended bump stops)... @DirtDawg's setup gives me some hope.

It's taken me forever to do the lockers, rack and all the ancillary stuff, but it should be done soon and I can test it out.

I ran 295/70r18s with Tundra Alloys, the Tundras were +60mm but I had 2' BORA spacers for a net of +9mm. I think you will be fine.

As for my 35s, I wanted that last bit of lift for my diff.

I often go out with Jeeps with 37s and 40s into narrow Florida trails, that little lift is often the difference between getting high centered stuck or making it through.

And conceivably, dont I get back some loss of articulation with the extra height of tires?

My rig is more of an overlanding vehicle and I *doubt* I would need more articulation than what @kreiten needed to pass through the Rubicon.

And conceivably, dont I get back some loss of articulation with the extra height of tires?

No, wheel travel is wheel travel. The point you make on ground clearance is accurate, but limiting whee travel on a vehicle that is notorious for limited front wheel travel is just counterproductive.

Also are we sure he runs zero offset? I’m just looking at the rubicon pics and I don’t see it.

Also are we sure he runs zero offset? I’m just looking at the rubicon pics and I don’t see it.

y9kLD7j.jpg

I believe all Method 17" rims (at least in 5x150) are 0 offset.

No, wheel travel is wheel travel. The point you make on ground clearance is accurate, but limiting whee travel on a vehicle that is notorious for limited front wheel travel is just counterproductive.

yep, zero offset 17 inch Methods with 35 inch Treps and bigger bumpstops, if ya wanna do trails like the Rubicon this is the recipe in my opinion!

+25 methods with 1.25 inch spacers. Put spacers on for wheel change to steelies same day. Driving near zero offset to the tireshop was rubbing like crazy even with pinch weld mod. I run 34.2's 295/70/18

IMG_20200901_170429.jpg

IMG_20200901_170425.jpg

IMG_20200901_170356.jpg

Last edited:

Agreed. We already have enough issues with articulation.

The one dumb, expensive mod that I'd overpay for from a vendor I trusted would be a front CO conversion kit. Wouldn't gain me much articulation without extended axles, but I think the benefit in regards dialing in your front suspension setup would be a lot more than people give it credit for... that being said, I am not a suspension engineer, and if @Somebodyelse5 comes in here and sees this he's going to yell at me for days.

yep, zero offset 17 inch Methods with 35 inch Treps and bigger bumpstops, if ya wanna do trails like the Rubicon this is the recipe in my opinion!

No u

54AA3F0D-FC1D-4188-A781-1D3CBAE3F342.jpeg

These are the stock 18s with 35 Patagonia’s in standard height. Still on ahc with rear coil spacers and .5 inch wheel spacers to clear ucas. You will need to adjust the pinch weld, trim fender liner and also trim the stock bumper. Rides well if you keep pressures in spec.

^what @atnolan94 said.

My notes on 35s:

Totally worth it in my opinion if you drive your vehicle off-road for a good portion of its miles. I moved from 275/70r18 to 35x12.5r18. The increased off-road performance is amazing. And honestly the on road performance isn’t terrible. Re-gearing would be best.

Definitely need to do the pinch weld mod, and some extensive trimming of the fender guards. I also needed to roll my front fenders to get rid of the lip on the fender.

Oh and I’m running a @TRAIL TAILOR 1/2” body lift.
So no bump stop mods?

how did the body lift affect your on-road Experience?

So no bump stop mods?

how did the body lift affect your on-road Experience?
Currently no bump stop mods and it’s working alright. On a hard turn with full compression, I may see some fender to tire contact but I’ve been wheeling hard and have yet to experience that.

With that being said, I do plan to eventually get away from the OEM bumpstops. I haven’t decided if I want to go with an aftermarket rubber option, or just send it and throw in a set of mini hydro bumps. Either way I plan on keeping as much wheel travel as possible. If I find myself getting into the fender, I’ll probably cut and roll the fender higher.

Currently no bump stop mods and it’s working alright. On a hard turn with full compression, I may see some fender to tire contact but I’ve been wheeling hard and have yet to experience that.

With that being said, I do plan to eventually get away from the OEM bumpstops. I haven’t decided if I want to go with an aftermarket rubber option, or just send it and throw in a set of mini hydro bumps. Either way I plan on keeping as much wheel travel as possible. If I find myself getting into the fender, I’ll probably cut and roll the fender higher.
Nice, that makes sense. Did you notice a difference in ride w the 1/2” body lift?

Well... if you are going to make fender provisions.... If you raise the bump stop, there is some travel to be gained there. As it is now, when resting on the bump stop, I don't think the stock shock is fully compressed.

Well... if you are going to make fender provisions.... If you raise the bump stop, there is some travel to be gained there. As it is now, when resting on the bump stop, I don't think the stock shock is fully compressed.
Thats interesting, hadn’t thought of that. Cutting fenders is an everyday occurrence over on Tacomaworld and they’ve figured out how to make it look pretty good - haven’t seen too many do that on 100s for some reason. As a bonus I think it would visually help with the rake as well

@ikarus Cut the fender as you please. If you botch it up, you can always add some fender bars to cover it up...

Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension | ARB 4x4 Accessories

@ikarus Cut the fender as you please. If you botch it up, you can always add some fender bars to cover it up...

Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension | ARB 4x4 Accessories
I might try it since my 100 isn't really a daily anymore. If I can keep it relatively clean like this I think it would be cool:
img_5342-jpg.2335658

Nice, that makes sense. Did you notice a difference in ride w the 1/2” body lift?
No. Ride quality is a direct correlation to suspension. But it does allow me to stay at 21.5” (hub to fender) whereas I know other guys running 35s who sit at 22”.
There’s definitely more travel to be had with the stock arms. Just can’t decide if I want to go to the limits with the stock IFS or just wait until Jason’s SAS kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom