The size 35s Discussion and Pics (mods/ wheel & tire choices) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I might try it since my 100 isn't really a daily anymore. If I can keep it relatively clean like this I think it would be cool:
Hmm, cut it to those flares?

They have those nice flares to cover up the metal work

I want to try the Fjallasport fenders but I'm just not sure how well it would work out. Though at that point I could run 37s which would be cool.

dtqLk1z.jpg

XkbVEif.jpg

Hmm, cut it to those flares?

Well like @Jram100 said, they have those plastic fender flares that make it easier to cover up the metal after you trim it. But I'm thinking about trying something similar, a very small trim all around, and try to match the factory lines so it's not too noticeable.

Gettin the itch again to run 35’s, though I would need different wheels. I like the +25 offset w 1/2” body lift route.

also if you want to do metal work, there are always these

A799713E-489D-4095-B988-3853617AEA8E.png

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am new at this forum and Lexus Club, I bought a 2000 Lexus LX470 about a month ago and I am looking to buy a set of Fuel Offroad Militia Rims.

The best spec that I found it on the fuel website is 17x9 ET+1 (Part# D72517907050), but it seems there is some rubbing to the suspension and fenders, I would like to buy some additional parts like a roof rack, tent, awning & fridge to go Camping/Overlanding with my wife (maybe once a month!) and I am not professional offroader, by the way, I believe I need to get a new set of offroad tires too.

Anyways, what should I do to have these rims under my Lexus? I really like those rims but unfortunately, no one had it before. (Do you recommend spaces and taller bump stops on the stock air suspension? how about an EMU suspension.)

In the end, what size tires do you recommend for this setup?

Sorry for the many stupid questions that I have, I am a BMW/MPower fan and this is my 1st SUV.

Thanks for your time!

*The attached picture rendered by Photoshop.

lx470-2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am new at this forum and Lexus Club, I bought a 2000 Lexus LX470 about a month ago and I am looking to buy a set of Fuel Offroad Militia Rims.

The best spec that I found it on the fuel website is 17x9 ET+1 (Part# D72517907050), but it seems there is some rubbing to the suspension and fenders, I would like to buy some additional parts like a roof rack, tent, awning & fridge to go Camping/Overlanding with my wife (maybe once a month!) and I am not professional offroader, by the way, I believe I need to get a new set of offroad tires too.

Anyways, what should I do to have these rims under my Lexus? I really like those rims but unfortunately, no one had it before. (Do you recommend spaces and taller bump stops on the stock air suspension? how about an EMU suspension.)

In the end, what size tires do you recommend for this setup?

Sorry for the many stupid questions that I have, I am a BMW/MPower fan and this is my 1st SUV.

Thanks for your time!

*The attached picture rendered by Photoshop.

View attachment 2464060

There are a lot of questions in this post, and you may want to search some of them out as there will be more complete answers than mine, but:

AHC is hydraulic, not air. I'd invest in getting the factory system to optimal performance before I'd replace it with anything aftermarket. It's just better all around, if you're wanting to keep ride quality and capability.

You'll want to stick with 33s with AHC. They will fit and articulate fully, just fine. No modification necessary.

Those wheels look good, but you may need spacers with that offset.

I'd wait to buy a fridge, awning, etc. After you try the vehicle out on a few trips. Businesses want to sell you stuff, and none of the instashamers will admit it because they are all sponsored.

A $1000 fridge setup, solar, etc. to keep food cold for a few days is not necessary to get out and enjoy yourself. Food stays cold for 3 days straight in my $50 igloo cooler with bag ice, and $5 in dry ice (underneath some bag ice) will keep stuff cold for a week.

There are a lot of questions in this post, and you may want to search some of them out as there will be more complete answers than mine, but:

AHC is hydraulic, not air. I'd invest in getting the factory system to optimal performance before I'd replace it with anything aftermarket. It's just better all around, if you're wanting to keep ride quality and capability.

You'll want to stick with 33s with AHC. They will fit and articulate fully, just fine. No modification necessary.

Those wheels look good, but you may need spacers with that offset.

I'd wait to buy a fridge, awning, etc. After you try the vehicle out on a few trips. Businesses want to sell you stuff, and none of the instashamers will admit it because they are all sponsored.

A $1000 fridge setup, solar, etc. to keep food cold for a few days is not necessary to get out and enjoy yourself. Food stays cold for 3 days straight in my $50 igloo cooler with bag ice, and $5 in dry ice (underneath some bag ice) will keep stuff cold for a week.

Yeah, I’ll agree with all this. Also:

17x9 is a real wide wheel, especially with such a low offset. You won’t easily be able to fit any tire requiring more than 8” width.

OME lift won’t help you fit bigger tires.

Taller bump stops will but we’re already so short on travel it’s a little counterproductive unless you really really absolutely need that extra 1/2” diff clearance you gain by stepping up to 35s.

Body lift will help but is it worth it? You decide.

Stick with 33s and run almost any wheel you want. Find something with 25-35 offset and maybe stuff in 34s. We’re in pretty heavily covered territory now, do some searching. It’s all over ‘mud.

@AlpineAccess & @SlowBuild I really appreciate your help and time!

I mean was AHC (I have no idea why I wrote air suspension) :)

So based on your information and details, I'll choose another rim with a higher offset. however, due to the mileage on this 2000 LX470 (about 300K miles on the engine, but super clean!), I would like to delete AHC system on the next step and replace it with EMU Shocks & Springs. (I am in the car business and I have my own shop too but we don't do any modification on the vehicles that we offering for sale and it's just for regular maintenance like safety inspection or sometimes swaps the engine or transmission).

Today I ordered a new water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, etc, and my mechanic who owns a completely stock LX470 that I bought for him too will replace them. (I can buy another one for myself with less mileage at the auction but I prefer to keep this LX and spend the difference on the aftermarket parts like Roof Rack, Tent &.. so cost me like $10K in total including everything that I would like to have).

Long story, short: I got this LX470 as a trade-in for $4K and my budget on the aftermarket parts is about $6K (Sponsored by SBA - Just Kidding 😜) actually, I can purchase all of these aftermarket parts at wholesale price through the distributors or even directly from manufactures)

Again, Thanks for all the information, and sorry if I posted on the wrong topic. as soon as I start to work on my LX I will open a new topic and I get help from you guys over there.

Part Numbers that I am looking to buy in the feature for the suspension are:
(just in case if this information helps to put something like Fuel Offroad Militia Rims)

ARB# 60001 (Front Shocks), ARB# 60003 (Rear Shocks), ARB# 303001 Torsion Bar, ARB# 2864 Coil Springs, ARB# FK27 Torsion Bar Kit & ARB# OME80PR05 which is 5mm Coil Spring Packer but I'm not sure if I really need the last one or not)

🙏

2nd Update: I may buy Heritage Wheels Part# PT960-60200-05
Looks beautiful on the 2020 Land Cruiser but are pricy, any idea/advice on these rims?

Last edited:
@AlpineAccess & @SlowBuild I really appreciate your help and time!

I mean was AHC (I have no idea why I wrote air suspension) :)

So based on your information and details, I'll choose another rim with a higher offset. however, due to the mileage on this 2000 LX470 (about 300K miles on the engine, but super clean!), I would like to delete AHC system on the next step and replace it with EMU Shocks & Springs. (I am in the car business and I have my own shop too but we don't do any modification on the vehicles that we offering for sale and it's just for regular maintenance like safety inspection or sometimes swaps the engine or transmission).

Today I ordered a new water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, etc, and my mechanic who owns a completely stock LX470 that I bought for him too will replace them. (I can buy another one for myself with less mileage at the auction but I prefer to keep this LX and spend the difference on the aftermarket parts like Roof Rack, Tent &.. so cost me like $10K in total including everything that I would like to have).

Long story, short: I got this LX470 as a trade-in for $4K and my budget on the aftermarket parts is about $6K (Sponsored by SBA - Just Kidding 😜) actually, I can purchase all of these aftermarket parts at wholesale price through the distributors or even directly from manufactures)

Again, Thanks for all the information, and sorry if I posted on the wrong topic. as soon as I start to work on my LX I will open a new topic and I get help from you guys over there.

Part Numbers that I am looking to buy in the feature for the suspension are:
(just in case if this information helps to put something like Fuel Offroad Militia Rims)

ARB# 60001 (Front Shocks), ARB# 60003 (Rear Shocks), ARB# 303001 Torsion Bar, ARB# 2864 Coil Springs, ARB# FK27 Torsion Bar Kit & ARB# OME80PR05 which is 5mm Coil Spring Packer but I'm not sure if I really need the last one or not)

🙏

2nd Update: I may buy Heritage Wheels Part# PT960-60200-05
Looks beautiful on the 2020 Land Cruiser but are pricy, any idea/advice on these rims?
You can run 33s-35s on stock rims and ahc. Still a great ride. Looking at the rock damage to my stock rims, I would have a hard time buying prettier ones just to scratch them up.

Gettin the itch again to run 35’s, though I would need different wheels. I like the +25 offset w 1/2” body lift route.

also if you want to do metal work, there are always these

View attachment 2463591
Did you ever get around slapping on the 35s?

I just got 17s 0 offset and contemplating between 285/70/17(32.8) n 315/70/17 (34.4)

Seen guys go 0.2” bigger with 315/75/16 and remedy rubbing by hammer the crap outta the pinch weld, but my concern would be the weight of the “additional” tire size.

the hundy struggles with stockies, could only imagine what would happen with 315s.

This is a good reference thread for understanding what offsets work best- including discussion of tire and wheel combos- . Post #1 sums up limitations pretty well.

This is a good reference thread for understanding what offsets work best- including discussion of tire and wheel combos- . Post #1 sums up limitations pretty well.

Yea I saw that thread too, pretty informative. I just made the decision to go smaller, 33, but instead of slapping all-terrains, gonna do the x3. Although 34-35s seem doable, I can only imagine how it'd feel going up a steep hill climb.

Did you ever get around slapping on the 35s?

I just got 17s 0 offset and contemplating between 285/70/17(32.8) n 315/70/17 (34.4)

Seen guys go 0.2” bigger with 315/75/16 and remedy rubbing by hammer the crap outta the pinch weld, but my concern would be the weight of the “additional” tire size.

the hundy struggles with stockies, could only imagine what would happen with 315s.
Looking at everything now it would be cheaper to run my current wheels (+10 offset) and cut some of the fender out; I could then put the kut snake flares on, and get pinch weld in order. I may still need the body lift though. Someone talk me out of it.

Looking at everything now it would be cheaper to run my current wheels (+10 offset) and cut some of the fender out; I could then put the kut snake flares on, and get pinch weld in order. I may still need the body lift though. Someone talk me out of it.

Which wheels do you have? After running 35s I'm honestly probably going back to 34s next time. 285/75r17 gives you almost the same height with less width - almost can't even tell the difference visually. But it rubs way less and tucks better. 0 problems with fender contact on my 34" setup.

S8q9i8k.jpg

QObaEZd.jpg

I'll add my info for the thread:
Tires: Toyo MT 315/70r17
Wheels: Hutchinson Rock Monster beadlocks 17x8.5 et27
Mods: 4.88s, leaky steering rack
Fitting: Hammered the pinch weld, heat gun on the fender liner, and rolled and pulled the front fenders as much as I could. No body lift yet.
Lift: Icon/Slinky - 3" lift

Fits alright. Still need to massage the fender liner some more - I occasionally rub on plastic. The tires are great but I think that the same Toyo MTs would have done just as fine in 285/75r17 (34x11.2). Looks great though.

Once you've added 35s, even those start to look a little small after a while and then you find yourself trying to figure out how to pay for a SAS and then you buy your 3rd replacement steering rack. Then you stop driving your truck everywhere cause it's so big and heavy. Finally you start dreaming about starting over and building a lightweight 100 with just gears, lockers, lightweight wheels with 34s and no bumpers. That's where I'm at anyway.

But it is a very cool setup and I always get middle aged dudes stopping me at gas stations to talk about it which is the dream

WTsywLW.jpg

IPtrERJ.jpg

lbXqCXa.jpg

brynlc3.jpg

szXREwk.jpg

Last edited:
Fitting: Hammered the pinch weld, heat gun on the fender liner, and rolled and pulled the front fenders as much as I could. No body lift yet.

Fits alright. Still need to massage the fender liner some more - I occasionally rub on plastic. The tires are great but I think that the same Toyo MTs would have done just as fine in 285/75r17 (34x11.2). Looks great though.

Once you've added 35s, even those start to look a little small after a while and then you find yourself trying to figure out how to pay for a SAS and then you buy your 3rd replacement steering rack. Then you stop driving your truck everywhere cause it's so big and heavy. Finally you start dreaming about starting over and building a lightweight 100 with just gears, lockers, lightweight wheels with 34s and no bumpers. That's where I'm at anyway.

But it is a very cool setup and I always get middle aged dudes stopping me at gas stations to talk about it which is the dream

WTsywLW.jpg

IPtrERJ.jpg

lbXqCXa.jpg

brynlc3.jpg

szXREwk.jpg
Maybe my favorite post ever.....

The “been there done that” testimonial yeah can def relate Lol but maaaan those hutchinson 2-piece bead lock wheels are sweet @ikarus 👍🏼👍🏼

Yeah IMO TOYO M/T 35s are the best all rounders ever! 2 wheels in the air and fully locked sliding out of a mudhole...

WTsywLW.jpg

IPtrERJ.jpg

lbXqCXa.jpg

brynlc3.jpg

szXREwk.jpg

awesome post. great looking rig, that wheel and tire combo is 🔥

since the 35s, i dont daily my 100 anymore. i take it once a week to work and get around on the weekends.

the 35s dont come out well in my pictures, but it totally changed the attitude of the rig in real life. i get more thumbsup when im out and about.

i still have my 34s (295/70/18s on tundra wheels) but the rig doesnt look the same.

setup for a socially distant cub scout meeting i was holding:
85okZrA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom