Builds The Sheepdog this thing is hairy! july 1977 blue fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

working on the passenger side hard top side

32C85FC4-8BCA-442F-9A24-08791A97351C.jpeg

DEB83D58-799A-4FF7-B6DB-6F1693BE2C4F.jpeg

working on the passenger side hard top side

View attachment 3173751

View attachment 3173752
This is an absolutely super rebuild!! I have a '77 June build date--wish I had seen this thread before--went thru practically all the same panel repairs-esp the w/s frame, as you have done, but I didn't have the skills, or tools you have--this rig build should be a sticky for sure--

This is an absolutely super rebuild!! I have a '77 June build date--wish I had seen this thread before--went thru practically all the same panel repairs-esp the w/s frame, as you have done, but I didn't have the skills, or tools you have--this rig build should be a sticky for sure--
Hey thank you for the kind words. I’m just doing what i can it’s not perfect. Just getting it close and having fun doing it. There are guys/gals on this forum that are head and shoulders above me. This forum has given me more information and inspiration then i can put into words. It’s a true treasure trove of information.

well got the caulking scraped out. sanded and punched out a number of rivets. weird thing is around where the pillar of the hard top comes up at the door jam there were a bunch of rivets like one every inch…. the rest of it had them on what seem to be the normal spacing 4 inches apart approximately.

E7518DA8-1DCD-46A7-9146-431C14E00CD4.jpeg

the pile of rust in the top after knocking out all the rivets. Second is the well riveted part above the door jam. Third is the rusty old frame gonna mark some reference holes. Then comes the new metal from CCOT. Fourth picture is front of the cap. Is this curvature normal? i’m wondering if sitting off of the forty for close to 8 or so years has cause warp age?

8BFD14FD-5D53-4E64-A570-EB0F50D371F6.jpeg

3EBA6DAC-C19A-4E18-92B6-C79F56F1AFDD.jpeg

5EC7E4BB-D31B-4921-8F8A-D562B934AB7C.jpeg

C3A17DF9-41BF-43DC-B41A-13C9722BE002.jpeg

Some dry fitting of the new metal. Waiting on a pair of the L brackets that bolt the windshield and door header together.Then try the fiberglass cap on to be sure. Then tack it together and pull it off and finish weld it up

020DFC08-C6D7-45C8-AEFE-16E22BA90084.jpeg

Sweet.
I’ve been tackling my hardtop repairs but with way less skill, far inferior tools and in an old dirt floor horse stable. You are inspiring.
Thanks

Are those patches RealSteal or did you make them?
The bottom sections are real steel. They fit pretty good so far, granted this is the first door of four that i have patches for. I will continue to give my opinion and thoughts on these panels moving forward. The sections about the standard real steel patch in my own making.

The bottom sections are real steel. They fit pretty good so far, granted this is the first door of four that i have patches for. I will continue to give my opinion and thoughts on these panels moving forward. The sections about the standard real steel patch in my own making.
Thanks for the reply.

I have RS door patches for my front doors (have only done the DS) and they fit pretty well. I’ll need to do the ambi doors eventually and figured it was a given that I’d get RS for those as well.
I just wish they made a rain gutter…

I’m enjoying your work, thanks for sharing.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom