Events/Trails The Rubicon in an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Threads
Here are my pictures from last weekend's Rubicon trip as a follow up to the mildly successful "Fordyce in an 80" thread: Fordyce Creek in an 80

We ran the trail essentially in a day. I don't know if there's a forward or backward direction to the trail but we came in somewhat late Saturday night, camped at Rubicon Springs, and were out of the trail via WentWorth Springs by around 4pm. I would recommend others run Loon Lake - devil's postpile is not interesting enough to justify circumventing the granite slabs.

Overall the trail is a bit easier than Fordyce. You can navigate through most stuff if you have lockers and take your time, or there are bypasses. Obstacle difficulty changes from time to time... Little Sluice seems to be getting a bit harder while Big Sluice and Cadillac Hill are mellowing out (IMO). It's a beautiful trail but there are too many other people out there - I like getting away from people, not the other way around. Still, if you haven't run the trail, I highly recommend it.

Like Fordyce, you'll have 10x more fun if you can tolerate the potential of losing a taillight, dinging a door, scraping a fender, etc. I didn't really damage anything but I was prepared to depreciate my rig some more. Drivetrain damage likelihood is low (unlike the Hammers, which tends to destroy things under my rig)

Here's some pics:
kEhOC7h.jpg

0xCvv4H.jpg

8FjnWmY.jpg

4PGUZrm.jpg

ygMVgoj.jpg

2tMzCdn.jpg

PzbH0b0.jpg

Bny4WmP.jpg

All those pics are sort of posery, by the way, but for some reason, that's when I'm reminded to get out and take some pictures. Sorry for the abuse of flexy shots.

Awesome pics, I wish I were even within 1K miles of places like that.

Dude your a bad ass.

I enjoyed the flexy shots and also wish those kind of trails were closer.
Thanks for the show!

Looks like a boat load of fun. I've got to get out there some day...

Awesome pics, I wish I were even within 1K miles of places like that.
Thanks! I probably don't appreciate it like I should. Good reminder to enjoy it while we can...
Dude your a bad ass.
Nah, just fiscally irresponsible?
You've just confirmed my thoughts. I got no business going there (in my rig).
You could get through in a mostly stock 80... Run it over a few days and enjoy the views!

I'm itchin to get back up there, hopefully I can make it next year. I felt big sluice has dumbed down as well.

Hey nukegoat your front end flexes very well. What's your set up? Nice to see an 80 sporting some trail injuries! I was up there three weekends ago and plan to go again over the holiday weekend. The trail will be very populated but the entertainment value is almost priceless!

I've been running the Rubicon for 15 years or so. And, the Gatekeeper and Big Sluice are not what they were, but the trail as a whole is still a challenge and nothing to take lightly. Other places in the trail, especially around Buck Island Lake have gotten significantly harder. Even the run-in to the springs, after Big SLuice, which used to be a drive in the park, is now challenging.

Anyway, it's always fun, always great camping. My favorite is to run it mid week in August because there is often no one up there. It's strange, but with careful timing you can still have it to your self. I think by August the Jamborees are over, and the fully stupid people have broken their rigs for the season, so, it's yours if you leave Loon Lake on Monday morning.

Sweet man! What front bumper is that?

Nice pics. Would Love to run it someday, but until then I will live vicariously through you.

we gotta put your definition of " mellow " along with your tire size, lockers and suspension .. great pics !

Hey nukegoat your front end flexes very well. What's your set up? Nice to see an 80 sporting some trail injuries! I was up there three weekends ago and plan to go again over the holiday weekend. The trail will be very populated but the entertainment value is almost priceless!
Thanks! Front is a 3 link of my own design. Rear is a double triangulated wishbone. Running 5 inch tjm lift springs and some garbage Gabriel shocks that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Sweet man! What front bumper is that?
My own horrible construction made from bits of plate and the old hitch tubes. It still deflects but it isn't in the way as much as my first one.

we gotta put your definition of " mellow " along with your tire size, lockers and suspension .. great pics !
Running e lockers, stock rear shafts, longfields, 5.29s, 1.25" spacers, and 345 km2. Thanks man!

nice pics, I need to get some 4 inch springs and 315's....

Well, if you can fix the geometry with more lift, I'd recommend it. 80 is fat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom