Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That primer is pretty much the exact same one that I replaced on the OM617 in my G-Wagen years ago, the original style was notorious for developing leaks. If you can hear the leak in the vicinity of the IP and you've gone through and replaced all the fuel lines and tightened all the clamps in that area, it is likely the IP itself. Mileage is only one factor for those seals and o-rings leaking; age is another. It is not uncommon for injection pumps to start leaking after a couple of decades, the rubber simply hardens and no longer seals as well.

I see on the old primer there is an o-ring where it threads in, did the new one have that or did it use a crush washer?

That clutch is very small! The only automotive style clutch I've seen smaller than that was in a Daihatsu HiJet I worked on for a friend a few years back.
New primer came with a copper crush washer, I see many IP's that all look the same/share the same parts. All using that bosch patented IP design it seems.
It doesn’t take much to lose prime but if yours is losing it that quick now it’s definitely a bigger leak.

Try running from a 5 gallon fuel can. Make sure it’s clean or even out a cheap in-line filter on it. Run a hose to the primer pump and keep the fuel up higher. (Full bogan says pull the hood so you can put the fuel can there)

If it stalls out again after a few minutes then it’s Probabaly something in the pump. If it runs fine and no issues, then it’s the lines from the primer pump all the way to the pickup tube in the tank.
I did this and it totally solved the issue! Ran it off the tank and got clean strong pressure. Kept it as low as possible (underneath the troopy) to stress test its pulling capability. Good news that it's not the pump!
Start simple and work your way up from the tank. Test every line... I use vacuum to test for leaks, but pressure will work too. Although time consuming and annoying, in most cases, it is simply worn rubber lines, a pinhole in a hard metal line, or need new clamps or a combination of all 3. If you are worried on budget, grab bulk diesel rated fuel line and a box of clamps and go to town, just inspect/test the hard lines. Replace everything soft and clampy looking with new.
Exactly what I did next.
I'm going to assume your first priority is to make your truck run reliably with as little waste of time and money as possible. I also believe that your problem is that air is getting in the fuel lines and causing the lift pump to lose prime.
1. buy a cheap electric fuel pump and put it in your fuel line very close to the tank to push the fuel to your pump. Here's a example and it's only $14: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Pressure-HEP-02A-Motorcycle-Carburetor/dp/B07HGR9P59/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GSLOL5S810V1&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.BD8aNduqBLVjF_hKaNT4v5_TYtKMAdxBJnYhuE-BnfJ5IMG2u6YUZfcD3rfQopBRrAgdMdHEGeAgyJBgsTwcX6BW0guZKzaKlKdx3o1IoycX8GfnDpmOGCDki7vW4RnVsYmK1Rb_KzfXqRJfj6TOZ6P1_1uKNmtfyBUq971dzgb95D4m7drE5Z7xR5wEIj_SxwP_q64gbbkKtHMag3hPpZAHwX4Oro1fQ-oLcNxQCg0.Nb1hWvJmBf7wjNHAnOg7UwV28MzFDgMp_TBA9Zh-Vb0&dib_tag=se&keywords=24V+electric+fuel+pump&qid=1711677498&sprefix=24v+electric+fuel+pump,aps,96&sr=8-3
2. If this causes your truck to run reliably then you definately have a air leak. Perhaps it will cause fuel to leak out of that spot now that it is positively pressured. This may help you find your leak.
3. If this also doesn't work then perhaps your tank vent is clogged causing a vacum in your tank. Or it is something else beyond these thoughts.
4. If the E-pump works it out for you then on those days when you have free time on your hands you can always disconnect the epump and troubleshoot searching for the air leak and make the "proper repair". In the meantime however you'll be driving.

Every modern vehicle I know of has a electric pump in the tank to push the fuel to the engine.
I bought that exact pump off amazon about 4 hours before you replied lol! Great minds think alike.

------------------

So I've spent the past couple days replacing ever single fuel line and clamp there is on this thing once I confirmed that it wasn't the IP. Still it was sucking in a massive amount of air. Absolutely defeated yesterday I just stopped working on it and enjoyed the rest of my day after I took a shower to soak off all the diesel. Today I started unplugging certain parts of the fuel system to isolate the leak to see if there is a certain part of hardline that had a tiny pinhole in it as mentioned above... still no luck tons of air. Finally, I bypassed the water/fuel separator. SUCCESS!!! It has a fresh, like brand new as of 2 weeks ago, fuel filter on it so I'm pretty confident it wasn't clogged. Took it all apart, O rings all checked out, lathered all rubber with grease and all the threads on it with thick grease aswell to minimize any small leak. Still, no luck it was sucking a massive amount of air. Then I realized I upgraded the filter to a 2-micron vs a 10-micron that my old one was. My only guess as of right now is that the extremely small micron count that it's filtering down to isn't letting enough fuel through the filter to run the actual engine. Ordered another 10-micron filter to test this theory. If its not that then my fuel/water assembly is bad in some sort of way. I'm just so thankful it isn't the IP, then again I would have just wired up that fuel pump as @robmobile73 mentioned to keep it trucking. Gonna keep that in my parts bin for any emergency uses I may need it for in the future... you never know.

Will keep yall updated if the higher micron filter fixes the issue or if it's the assembly itself

also to add a bit of humor to the end of this post... this popped up in my memories today. Spot on description 😆
IMG_8173.PNG

New primer came with a copper crush washer, I see many IP's that all look the same/share the same parts. All using that bosch patented IP design it seems.

I did this and it totally solved the issue! Ran it off the tank and got clean strong pressure. Kept it as low as possible (underneath the troopy) to stress test its pulling capability. Good news that it's not the pump!

Exactly what I did next.

I bought that exact pump off amazon about 4 hours before you replied lol! Great minds think alike.

------------------

So I've spent the past couple days replacing ever single fuel line and clamp there is on this thing once I confirmed that it wasn't the IP. Still it was sucking in a massive amount of air. Absolutely defeated yesterday I just stopped working on it and enjoyed the rest of my day after I took a shower to soak off all the diesel. Today I started unplugging certain parts of the fuel system to isolate the leak to see if there is a certain part of hardline that had a tiny pinhole in it as mentioned above... still no luck tons of air. Finally, I bypassed the water/fuel separator. SUCCESS!!! It has a fresh, like brand new as of 2 weeks ago, fuel filter on it so I'm pretty confident it wasn't clogged. Took it all apart, O rings all checked out, lathered all rubber with grease and all the threads on it with thick grease aswell to minimize any small leak. Still, no luck it was sucking a massive amount of air. Then I realized I upgraded the filter to a 2-micron vs a 10-micron that my old one was. My only guess as of right now is that the extremely small micron count that it's filtering down to isn't letting enough fuel through the filter to run the actual engine. Ordered another 10-micron filter to test this theory. If its not that then my fuel/water assembly is bad in some sort of way. I'm just so thankful it isn't the IP, then again I would have just wired up that fuel pump as @robmobile73 mentioned to keep it trucking. Gonna keep that in my parts bin for any emergency uses I may need it for in the future... you never know.

Will keep yall updated if the higher micron filter fixes the issue or if it's the assembly itself

also to add a bit of humor to the end of this post... this popped up in my memories today. Spot on description 😆
View attachment 3595178
You're looking good as a woman in a black bikini. Good sleuthing on your fuel issues... 2 micron is extremely fine filtration, way overkill, and typically causes more problems than "standard" filtration. Hopefully going back to 10 micron solves your problem.

I'll be out that way for a quick visit at the folks place. Fast turn around, but maybe we can meet up.

Exactly what I did next.

------------------

View attachment 3595178
You've really done some good work finding your problem. I hate to tell you this, but you're on your way to becoming one of those guys who knows more about his cars than the people he needs to fix them because he doesn't have time to do it himself. Your only hope to escape the frustration is to continue to buy Toyotas that generally are reliable so you don't have to deal with repair shops so much........................You need that fuel pump. Buying it probably caused you to find your problem. Amazing you had to spend less than $20 to find out you didn't need it. Keep that on hand, you will always have a need for a electric fuel pump. Probably at least once every 18 months as long as you have project cars, boats, etc.

Bad news for the troopy but good news for me! I got hired as a steam locomotive mechanic locally here working on some old steam trains that are 100 years or so old. I guess it's good news for the troopy in the long run cause I'll finally have some money to put toward it! But all of the rust repair and the pop top conversion I was gonna work on this summer obviously will be pushed back to.... well I don't really know when. It will be a full time job, more weeks than not I'll be working 7 days a week at this place. Occasionally will have weekends off here and there but obviously not enough to do any substantial amount of work to a car. I'm just so pumped that out of 20 or so applicants that I ended up getting the job.

video I took right after I left my 2nd interview

also swapped out transmissions in the zupup, the 2 days ago. The slip yoke spline count for a 1977 Chevy Luv's transmission (the "new" one) is way different than the Isuzu Pup's for some reason. Exact same transmission, everything is exactly the same except for the output shaft spline count... weird and ANNOYING. Now I'm just waiting for one in order to get this thing back on the road.
IMG_8222.JPG

Waiting on that fuel/water separator to arrive in the mail as it keeps getting pushed back, troopy is running great with it bypassed though!

Congrats on the job, that sounds like a really cool and unique work experience!

Congrats on the job, that sounds like a really cool and unique work experience!
Ditto... way to go @theglobb ! Even just having that on a resume is cool. A good conversation starter if nothing else with any future prospective jobs down the road once you are done school.

Can't wait to see all the mods you do on the steam engine... lift, Turbo, injectors, maybe an Isuzu transmission... with your imagination and tools, the sky is the limit!! 😜

Seriously though, what a cool opportunity! Look forward to hearing all about it and seeing some photos. :cheers:

Bad news for the troopy but good news for me! I got hired as a steam locomotive mechanic locally here working on some old steam trains that are 100 years or so old. I guess it's good news for the troopy in the long run cause I'll finally have some money to put toward it! But all of the rust repair and the pop top conversion I was gonna work on this summer obviously will be pushed back to.... well I don't really know when. It will be a full time job, more weeks than not I'll be working 7 days a week at this place. Occasionally will have weekends off here and there but obviously not enough to do any substantial amount of work to a car. I'm just so pumped that out of 20 or so applicants that I ended up getting the job.

also swapped out transmissions in the zupup, the 2 days ago. The slip yoke spline count for a 1977 Chevy Luv's transmission (the "new" one) is way different than the Isuzu Pup's for some reason. Exact same transmission, everything is exactly the same except for the output shaft spline count... weird and ANNOYING. Now I'm just waiting for one in order to get this thing back on the road.View attachment 3598824

Waiting on that fuel/water separator to arrive in the mail as it keeps getting pushed back, troopy is running great with it bypassed though!

New job sounds awesome and a unique experience. At this point in your life you will have some life changing opportunities. My advice is to enjoy them as much as possible and learn as much as you can. Choose the ones that allow you to be with the best people.

Last edited:

also swapped out transmissions in the zupup, the 2 days ago. The slip yoke spline count for a 1977 Chevy Luv's transmission (the "new" one) is way different than the Isuzu Pup's for some reason. Exact same transmission, everything is exactly the same except for the output shaft spline count... weird and ANNOYING. Now I'm just waiting for one in order to get this thing back on the road.View attachment 3598824

Congratulations on getting the job! Can't tell you how many times we had to take my nephews over to Tweetsie Railroad when they were little; that place is so cool!

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for the @theglobb to start thinking about swapping a steam engine into the red rocket?

Congratulations on getting the job! Can't tell you how many times we had to take my nephews over to Tweetsie Railroad when they were little; that place is so cool!

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for the @theglobb to start thinking about swapping a steam engine into the red rocket?

NO ! I'm not sure I'd survive that one. And his Mom would likely leave me. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom