The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The biggest issue I see with ANY water to air cooling system (4wd or not) is the line size and pump type. Personally I only ever run 1” hose with a 115LPM pump... if you drop back to say 5/8” heater hose you’ll need to run a $350+ high performance pump to move enough coolant.

And yes, you want a decent size reservoir and front heat exchanger (some sort of car radiator).

I've gone full custom everything. Bought a 250x100x550 core made my own tanks. Tho I've ditched the a.c. just had the first fire up. No idea on pressure/ temp yet. Should have some results in the coming weeks when I have some time to Finnish everything as part of a mass upgrade. All pipework inlet / outlets are 2.5" except turbo outlet

20210228_152504.jpg

20200620_144306.jpg

20200620_144322.jpg

I see you tied the hood latch to the top plate which I assume is thick, how is that working out? Looks great!

I see you tied the hood latch to the top plate which I assume is thick, how is that working out? Looks great!
The bracket I put on is 2.5mm and the top plate of the cooler is 3mm. The hole has a small slot the same as the two uppers on the latch. Only did it this weekend so time will tell. I can always add a thicker section later if required. When I was testing it without the bracket on the intercooler the latch wanted to twist and move the lower bolt hole towards the radiator so I'm hoping the top two bolts can take the load.

hello, have somes of you who installed w2a intercooler like this one have a feedback on them ?
Haec0ff1265844c7d8229c594a3fce4b2U.png

In my experience the cores are pretty well made (pressure test before using) but the accessories are generally poor quality (Eg the pump etc).

my recommendation would be to use the actual intercooler and possibly heat exchanger but you want to use bigger fittings/hoses.
From my testing/experience you either need a ultra high performance pump if running 5/8 hose (Eg $350+ pumps) OR you can run a cheaper ($100ish) pump if you upgrade to 1”. You need the water moving as fast as possible...

There are people who talk about “if the water goes too fast it doesn’t exchange heat properly” but honestly unless you are trying to move the water with a 1kw+ rated pump where the pump itself is causing sooo much water pressure and friction that it’s heating the water up then go the biggest pump with highest pressure you can fit/afford.
Also, you really do want a large reservoir to absorb high heat generating acceleration...

the benefit of diesel is when you back off the throttle the large airflow going through the intercooler actually helps cool down the water. (And you only care about the intercooling effect when at high power/loads... you won’t destroy an engine with high intake temps with low fuel load).

Last edited:
We are doing a Plazmaman W2A in a 67 HDJ45 we are building. Its got a custom rad, bigger than a 40-series. Custom shroud and fresh OEM fan clutch. Custom 4” air box in and out. Well will run 3” exhaust.

The intercoolers radiator is mounted up under the bed right behind the cab. It uses an electric fan. We still need to put a grate on the scoop for the radiator.

9B0485EC-C7EA-4B07-9519-D8664ECAEE7D.jpeg
597E9F3B-4071-46C5-8D5C-63F2AD4E242F.jpeg
23E27028-D273-4484-8419-F1A462FC1462.jpeg
4D3BEB2B-4DC5-4656-A0B7-76F608FC4D37.jpeg

That is with suspension fully compressed. There was simply no room up front for an IC without body mods.

Cheers

80-series in the shop with an FTE swap.

Running intake delete with FFM intake 90. GTurbo red wheel, GTurbo module. 3” exhaust. PDI front mount intercooler.

EGR delete on this and the FT in the 45 above.

EF90B5E2-40A8-484E-BDF6-B8D94B875C9B.jpeg
2C4E3BB7-ED97-4053-856F-FE5856B68960.jpeg
E74A0440-39A0-4FE3-8FCB-B62A972EFFA9.jpeg

Just test fitted on the intake 90*, still need a coupler there.

Cheers

Hey legends,

i have a difficult choice to make between a cross country top mount a2a intercooler and a hpd series 2 top mount.. just wonder if anyone has run these on their trucks? Id love some feedbacks to make the right choice.
Cheers

Skip the top mount and get a PDI front mount.

If you must have the top mount, the cross country unit is far higher quality than HPD IMHO

hello, have somes of you who installed w2a intercooler like this one have a feedback on them ?
View attachment 2656790

Mine seems fine to me but I'm not the most knowledgeable guy out there.
Like said previously the pump seems pretty crappy, I'm using a Bosch one the I was already using with my previous setup.
I'm not using the supplied silicon fittings, instead I'm using some reinforced rubber that I had lying around.
I've installed an MX motorbike expansion tank ( Motion Pro - Coolant Recovery Tank).

Regarding fitment, had to build a new bottom support and the heat exchanger supports.

Mine came with a couple of fans but I'm not using them.

Has a fluid I'm using Toyota Red.

Finally regarding it in operation, when I stop and place my hand on the intercooler it seems pretty cold but hadn't take any temperature measurements... Maybe one of these days I'll do it.
So it must be doing something!

Cheers

@Tin few pages back I posted my cross country top mount. As others mentioned, high quality unit and nice.

If you want max performance a front mount may be best. However, you can achieve optimal performance from a top mount.

Front mount and top mount has been beat to death.

One way to look at it is, it didn’t have a intercooler before. Now it does so there’s probably a marginal improvement...

Reactions: Tin
@Tin few pages back I posted my cross country top mount. As others mentioned, high quality unit and nice.

If you want max performance a front mount may be best. However, you can achieve optimal performance from a top mount.

Front mount and top mount has been beat to death.

One way to look at it is, it didn’t have a intercooler before. Now it does so there’s probably a marginal improvement...
Correct me if im wrong but ive heard that front mount is not that great when off roading at low speed? From what ive heard front mount works best on freeway when we get constant high flow of cool air.

personally i use my truck mainly for off road.

Front mount still works better than top mount for off-roading, as heat soak with a top mount is worse.
For off-roading/low speed stuff a water to air system with large reservoir is a much better option... however remember when off-road you won’t really be on boost much, so don’t really need an intercooler.

Correct me if im wrong but ive heard that front mount is not that great when off roading at low speed? From what ive heard front mount works best on freeway when we get constant high flow of cool air.

personally i use my truck mainly for off road.
Front mount won't heat-soak like a top mount at low speeds, and also has the biggest fan you could hope for. Make sure your fan clutch is up to scratch and seal the intercooler to the radiator with some foam and it will get a lot more air at low speeds than the electric fan on the cross country.

Also another to thing to note, either would probably be a good insurance policy if your turbo were to grenade on you. Not a sure way to save your engine, but at minimum lower the damage

Heat soak is definitely an issue on either. One thing about the FM is depending on the setup it could block your radiator and ac condenser. That, and depending on the setup the frame or body is modified to fit and route piping.

The cross country has a Spal fan to help with some of the heat soak. Either option should help lower your EGTs.

FWIW, I've never had any issues with heat at low speeds or when crawling. The reason I got an intercooler was for towing and when I was accelerating hard... like getting on a freeway from a dead stop. I could easily get EGTs above 1200 degrees F in those situations. PDI front mount solved those issues. Like @AussieHJCruza mentioned, my fan clutch keeps airflow through the system at low speeds, like stop and go traffic. Either a top mount or a front mount would be way better than nothing. But, my thought is get the biggest intercooler you can and only do it once. Also, I know that water to air intercoolers have been pretty reliable. But the failure mode of water possibly getting into my intake air (core of the intercooler is damaged) makes me feel uneasy when I'm crashing on rocks and stuff.

Just a side step here.....

I'm looking for some replacement intercooler pipes for my 1HD FTE.

The current plastic pipes leak and I'm looking for some metal pipes to replace them with while keeping my OEM intercooler.

Cheers

Any suggestions for a replacement hose for the 1HD-FT Safari system? The outlet from the intercooler on mine is feeling soft, and definitely has signs of degredation. 50k miles / 5 years and needing new one?

Part#7 380-043-350 HOSE - INTERCOOLER OUTLET

Mine...

safari.JPG

Need this one...

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
I think Moonlight Fabrication makes stainless replacements for the safari hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom