The new acquisition... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally was able to close the deal on the 97 lc from Craigslist that had a "blown headgasket". Money was exchanged, and we went to the tag agency to take care of the title work. He dropped me back off at the shop where it was sitting, and I called AAA to come n get it. while I was waiting, I replaced a short piece of rad hose from the PHH hardline up to the heater control valve. Was the fastest AAA experience I've had. Driver was awesome. I jumped the truck, and drove it up on the flatty, and let him tie it down. He got a good laugh that it had a blown headgasket (AAA needed a reason for the tow).

Milkshakes ain't got nothing on flatbed tow trucks with led lights ablaze for bringing the boys to the yard..(hows that for a song reference from left field)..every male for 4 houses came out to prairie dog at the commotion.

Rolled it off the flatty, jumped it again, and drove it up to its new home, tucked in for the night.

Here's the view from this morning, being welcomed to the fold by the rest of the herd.

Not sure if it's a good thing or not to have your driveway look like you're hosting a HAMOM, but it's all your own rides. lol

tmp_11262-20161015_0710451975837822.jpg

tmp_11262-20161015_0710051827299158.jpg

Last edited:
So, that brings us to this afternoon. The start of the transformation from college kid handmedown to an adventure rig.

Spent a couple hours pressure washing the engine and front end. It was absolutely caked in mud. Still need to pull the fan shroud and hit the radiator some more, yank the battery and clean the battery box, etc. There must have been 15 lbs of mud under the hood.

Topped off the coolant, replaced the rad cap, and jumped it with the code reader attached. Let it idle for almost an hour, never got over 180 degrees.

While it was running, i used a syringe to suck out brake fluid from the reservior. Nasty fluid. It will need a full bleeding.

I got inside, and removed most of the wood trim removed from the dash and rear door panels. Still have to do the trim around the ac and radio.

To Do list:
Remove fan clutch and shroud, and commence cleaning phase 2.
Remove running boards, maybe start removing flares.
Get some green stripe or napa yellow stripe hose and some breeze clamps, and do the PHH bypass, and all the small hoses on the firewall.
Change Fram oil filter with napa gold filter.
Pick up a new battery (jumpin sucks, although after running for an hour, it did start on its own immediately after shutdown)
Source some gas struts for the hood.
Wipers front and rear

Well done sir and congratulations.... on the aquisition and hoarder status as well :)

Let me know if you need a pedal pusher to get those brakes back up to par. And careful On the rad with a pressure washer as you likely know. I have a high pressure hose wand here that may help if you want.

Let the adventuring begin

Thanks Jason. I may ask to borrow and use your wand :grinpimp:. I bought a harbor freight 1450 psi pressure washer today for 64.00...I have to keep a hand on the nozzle adjuster, to prevent just what you said. Ive got a soft brush i was going to use on the fins, and use either the fan setting, or make my own wand.

you peeps are an expensive lot to hang around. Not to mention the lack of driveway space LOLOL

$64!?! You musta got lucky and hopped on the extended columbus day sale due to the hurricane lol

Uh huh...... but something tells me you might have an rc sailboat that cost more than this 80 :D

Just let me know, i can run down sunday if you are around

Very cool, I like the look of your driveway! The prairie dog reference was pretty good :) The hoarder word sure is getting thrown around a lot of late.

Day 2 brought more progress.

Running Boards are gone, flare trim cut and cleaned up. fixed a broken tab on 1 piece of a flare. need to get some flare trim for a few pieces, and can keep the flares on for a while.

Sucked out some nasty power steering fluid from the reservoir. I'll continue to do that bits at a time.

Removed the damage multiplier from the nose. it had already done the damage....I'll be on the lookout for a white parking light valence up front. I'm going to save someone the aggravation of this thing, and put it out for the junk scroungers.

Took it for a 25 mile drive, with temp only hitting 183. Still need to do phh bypass and other small hose work.

Next up will be dropping the driveshafts, cleaning/scraping the mud that had turned to concrete off, and check/grease the ujoints.

tmp_15029-20161016_180421916886893.jpg

tmp_15029-20161016_1802141454779812.jpg

great progress..... looks better already !

someone recently posted a flare trim alternative on 80s tech..... as well i believe user Jamisobe sells one too to go with the pocket flares he developed.

FWIW an AOE or 4x4 labs front bumper will cover that valence area right up ;)

bumper is a down the road addition ;). I want to get all the baselining taken care of before hanging a big ole heavy thing on the nose.

Not to mention, making sure it doesnt have a blown headgasket ;)

Baselining continues.

Picked up a costco/interstate group 24 for 80.00 yesterday and installed that last night. Today was more pressure washing, then fresh gear oil in diffs and transfer case. I would love to find the "mechanic" that felt it necessary to use blue loctite on the fill plugs. PB blaster, propane, and a 1/2 inch imoact gun should NOT NE required to remove fill plugs. Note to self, buy an electric or air powered pump.

Greased all the u joints, and pumped a bunch of grease in the knuckles. repeated more pressure washing.

Dropped the spare (had to use the tool kit from my other 80....need one for this one ) and found even more mud to pressure wash. Oh joy.

Did a drain and refill on the transmission, and used some Teflon tie wraps on the rear exhaust isolator. it was bad and rattling.

Put on some new wiper blades all the way around, and cleaned the front and rear glass. PO had the windshield replaced a few months ago. it's so nice not having to look through a sandblasted windshield.

Pic of why ih8mud, and my neighbor's new to him cherokee, wishing it were in our driveway too. lol

tmp_14050-20161022_081559428562585.jpg

Why ih8mud...

tmp_14050-20161022_134602-1215012556.jpg

Typically are you able to re-use the diff fill and drain plugs?

I called the dealer the other day and they told me they had steel washers and that would work on the diffs and the transfer case but everything I have read says to use aluminum on the transfer case.

Aluminum on transfer case is correct. It's a different part number than the diff gets. The shape and thickness is different, too. There are more than a few threads about this on MUD. Find the part number and have the dealer order some.

There are aftermarket crush washers available in most sizes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom