The mysterious rust bucket... help needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone. Newbie here. Not my first car nor my first project, but my first FJ. Floors are shot, and it’s missing a ton of stuff. I still am drawn to it because I’m an idiot. Plan is to get the floors and weld them in. I’ve got some seats I’m going to throw in and we’ll see how it all comes together. I have a general vision, but still need some help.

Without the title or any visible VIN tags how can I determine if it’s a pre78 or post? That seems to be the determining factor of the two floor styles. Initially I thought it was a post, but the more pics I’ve been looking at I think it might be a pre.

I’ll get some pics soon and I’m going to go see it in person this weekend. I sent a few pics showing where the VIN tags are but they told me it didn’t have them. I’m hoping it’s stamped into the body somewhere in the event that the paperwork was used for another better condition car.

Thanks
Simon

There is a stamp of numbers on the passenger side front frame rail.

is there a tag on the passenger side fender, behind where the battery sits?

this very well could be a grey market vehicle.
it could also be a bunch of pieces and parts put together to make a whole rig.

a few pics we'll be able to give you a good idea on the year, but making it legal could be another issue altogether.

@2mAn

Hey Everyone. Newbie here. Not my first car nor my first project, but my first FJ. Floors are shot, and it’s missing a ton of stuff. I still am drawn to it because I’m an idiot. Plan is to get the floors and weld them in. I’ve got some seats I’m going to throw in and we’ll see how it all comes together. I have a general vision, but still need some help.

Without the title or any visible VIN tags how can I determine if it’s a pre78 or post? That seems to be the determining factor of the two floor styles. Initially I thought it was a post, but the more pics I’ve been looking at I think it might be a pre.

I’ll get some pics soon and I’m going to go see it in person this weekend. I sent a few pics showing where the VIN tags are but they told me it didn’t have them. I’m hoping it’s stamped into the body somewhere in the event that the paperwork was used for another better condition car.

Thanks
Simon

Step up to the plate and buy a silver star. This helps keep this website up-and-running, and you'll save as much with the sage advice you'll get here.

Without the title or any visible VIN tags
Please check to make sure you're not buying a stolen vehicle. Get the vin from the front passenger frame horn and call the CHP to verify.

I am still looking for my FJ40 stolen 2 years ago from central Ca.

Believe some years ago someone linked a site that could search for stolen and totaled vehicles history. On the pre seventeen digit VIN it was possible to take one state's totaled/salvage title and retitle in another state that only had regular titles and in a sense wash the title. Pre seventeen digit VIN are almost impossible to track the history on.

So finally had a chance to go see this car in person and well… definitely won’t be easy to register/ prove it’s not stolen …

Not sure what to do next.

3C3C3D2D-4D84-466C-A4B7-FF8556455B22.jpeg

3408EA1A-D093-4DB4-9D52-000A8436F357.jpeg

4FD2477C-EE05-48F4-A486-224359B32A1A.jpeg

also, floors are rusted through and tons of missing parts, but basically being free I still wonder if there’s still some value to saving this. Not sure though TBH

Somebody probably needed to title another 40 which was likely stolen. They will graft that vin they torched out into their frame. Looks like it was done recently.

Somebody probably needed to title another 40 which was likely stolen. They will graft that vin they torched out into their frame. Looks like it was done recently.
Hard to say exactly but this was sold to my buddy by a very well known ICON in the FJ restoration world. Might’ve been a cheat to get a non-CA legal car , legal… shame really but my concern is more with this poor thing

So you bought this without seeing it or wanted to buy it?
It’s my buddies and he’s been tired of looking at it. He bought it as an “art” piece in his showroom. He knows I like messing with these older cars so he has offered it to me. I just want to save it from certain death

Pictures of the exterior and general look of the vehicle can help determine year

Definitely pre '73 body. No locking door on the gas cap. Missing all the VIN Badging, it's likely the signs of "organ transplants" to one in need of "legitimacy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom