The Moonshine Motel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me thinks Johnny has scoped out the resale on Onan RV generators and has rightly decided it's a better idea to sell than have the overkill option. Trust me, when my 4k onan went out, I looked for a used replacement......they are not cheap.

That absolutely was my thinking. This thing was nearly 10k new in 2006!!!

I have a propane 5500 in our Toyhauler... Love it! I'd love to have a dedicated one for the house but just can't justify the expense for the once-every-other-year power outage that's significant enough to use it.

Love the updates here - AWESOME project!!

Me thinks Johnny has scoped out the resale on Onan RV generators and has rightly decided it's a better idea to sell than have the overkill option. Trust me, when my 4k onan went out, I looked for a used replacement......they are not cheap.

Edit: or not :)

I have a propane 5500 in our Toyhauler... Love it! I'd love to have a dedicated one for the house but just can't justify the expense for the once-every-other-year power outage that's significant enough to use it.

Love the updates here - AWESOME project!!

So you guys with onans, where were they in relation to your sleeping quarters? Was it annoying and/or loud to have it on while sleeping?

Sleeping with ear plugs (worst case) doesn't sound too bad if we get to have AC.

The guys on irate4x4 really don't want me to get rid of this diesel genset. They helped me come up with a solution I had not thought of before. Stay tuned.
This is I fully support! I think this will be cool!

So you guys with onans, where were they in relation to your sleeping quarters? Was it annoying and/or loud to have it on while sleeping?

Sleeping with ear plugs (worst case) doesn't sound too bad if we get to have AC.
Mine was gas, and it wouldn't matter where it was - you wouldn't want it running when you're trying to sleep. Personally, I'd sell it, and grab a portable invertor generator and don't install it. I have a westinghouse 2500 watt they make a 4500 watt one. It's basically a half priced honda clone. Grab a 100 foot or more extension cord and a padlock and heavy duty chain to secure it to a tree and put it downhill and as far away as possible. Your ears will thank you.

Ours is located under the overhang (under the bed) and it is noticeable when running but no more than the A/C that's directly over head. If we have the gen running, its to run the A/C so it kind-of cancels the generator drone out.

Mine was gas, and it wouldn't matter where it was - you wouldn't want it running when you're trying to sleep. Personally, I'd sell it, and grab a portable invertor generator and don't install it. I have a westinghouse 2500 watt they make a 4500 watt one. It's basically a half priced honda clone. Grab a 100 foot or more extension cord and a padlock and heavy duty chain to secure it to a tree and put it downhill and as far away as possible. Your ears will thank you.

Gotcha, that's kinda my fear. I have a honda 2200 for the house, so that will be the plan if this one is too loud.

Ours is located under the overhang (under the bed) and it is noticeable when running but no more than the A/C that's directly over head. If we have the gen running, its to run the A/C so it kind-of cancels the generator drone out.

That's promising. That's the same location for genset and bed as I've got planned.

I hear if you sleep in the hauler the noise isn’t so bad :)

B935BCE8-709A-4597-AA06-77C69B1A8189.jpeg

New genny compartment cleared out. Next, I'm going to get it down on the floor and start measuring out how to mount it in here.

The beauty of this plan is that if the Onan is too loud, I can pull it out and stick my Honda in here.

PXL_20210211_125125370.jpg

That seems like a great solution that will provide a good option for exhaust and you can insulate the hell out of it against noise. Just would have to make sure you have some way for heat to vent I guess. Hope you can get the Onan working there, because it gives you so much power capabilities for AC/Welder/tools, etc etc.

That Honda won't power the AC standalone will it?

That Honda won't power the AC standalone will it?

I believe it would. I'd need one of those EZstart things for the AC, but with that it should run everything.

Lots of soft and squishy rubber in those mounting bolts... the noise wasn't the main concern, the vibration was the issue.

Lots of soft and squishy rubber in those mounting bolts... the noise wasn't the main concern, the vibration was the issue.

I was pondering this the other day actually. The mount plate has four large bushings built into it that support the motor off of the base, so it's not too bad. I was considering adding additional isolators under the base plate (between the base plate and the frame of the trailer), so it sounds like I should do that.

McMaster has a large selection of such mounts:

I was pondering this the other day actually. The mount plate has four large bushings built into it that support the motor off of the base, so it's not too bad. I was considering adding additional isolators under the base plate (between the base plate and the frame of the trailer), so it sounds like I should do that.

McMaster has a large selection of such mounts:

Not endorsing, just another place to peruse.

Genny freed from it's spot up top, and moved down to the floor, by way of a 4x4 ramp. It was only slightly sketchy.

1613399930292.png

1613399939088.png

After that, I finished gutting the goose area. We found a number of leaks where the caulk between roof panels has failed. Not a big deal to fix, but I'm glad to have found them now.

1613400066537.png

My sprockets and chain came in the mail, so this week I'll work on getting that system rigged up, then the generator compartment layout nailed down.

How’s the roof look from the outside? I threw on a couple coats of RV roof paint. Basically thick rubber sealant, also helps insulate a little bit.

edit: you gonna go with any solar panels?

How’s the roof look from the outside? I threw on a couple coats of RV roof paint. Basically thick rubber sealant, also helps insulate a little bit

Haven't inspected it closely yet (really high up there, lol). There are a few small dents visible from the inside, and from what I've seen from the ground it's decent. Needs a good pressure wash though.

I'm thinking exactly what you suggested. Re-caulk the seams, then throw on some RV roof paint to help seal the whole thing up.

You will need a lot. I used a gallon on my 6x12 and didn’t feel like it was excessive...

This is the stuff I had earmarked. 5 gallon bucket seems like it'll be enough, rough calcs put my roof right under 250sq/ft:

My current plan is to reskin the sides, then replace the roof caulking, then apply this stuff over the top as an added layer of protection.

Cool. Yeah I used an elastomeric roof rather than silicone - "Snow Roof" or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom