Builds The Magnificent Seven: Build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of weeks ago I came across a 1997 Collector edition on Craigslist that looked to be in good shape. In one of the pictures of the interior I could barely make out the magic dial. It had just posted so I called right away and drove 2.5 hours the next morning with the whole family in tow to bring it home:
cruiser 1.jpg

cruiser 2.jpg

The Story: Owned since new by a Doctor who garaged kept it and babied it. Bought by his neighbor for his teenage son who stuck his nose up at it. Soon after posted and sold to me. Came with a stack of receipts, mostly from Toyota of all the work done to it. Exterior looks almost brand new. Has 269,00 miles on it and runs perfectly.

NIce find.

The name:
This is the seventh Land Cruiser I have owned and it is in Magnificent shape and has lockers so it seemed fitting.

The Plan:
Lighter offroading but mostly for overlanding and camping with my twins boys.
Here are my boys when I told them about the new Landcruiser (obviously very excited):
boys 2.jpg

Here is their reaction when I told them that I would have plenty of time to work on it and would have it offroad ready quickly:

laughing.png

Last edited:
While pondering the most important things in life: Adventure, loving well and cup holders I decided I'd better add more of the latter to my life. Thanks to @bhicks fantastic product:
cruiser 3.jpg

The Plan:
Base lining first and foremost. Just received my PHH kit from @NLXTACY I'll change all fluids. Birfs seem to be in good condition. Will need a valve cover gasket too
I have a rear swing out from @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr that I bought for my 1992 Fj80 that I will put on this one.
I have a dual filler neck that I put in with a aux tank
Winch, bumper, lights etc.
Debating between 285 and 295 tires.
Small lift for now. Probably OME stock height heavy in front and rear.

Let the fun begin.... slowly as the boys allow it.

Time for some updates:
I replaced the valve cover gasket. While it was off I went ahead and painted it with some hi-temp paint. That leak is now fixed.
Before:
valve cover.jpg

After:
valve cover 2.jpg

While waiting around for the paint to dry on the valve cover I thought to myself "The idle hand is the plaything of the devil", So I went ahead and installed a winch bumper and 12,000 lb winch. This is how she now looks:

cruiser bumper.jpg

Last edited:
Service log:
Valve cover gasket 12/25/2016
Grease all zerks 12/25/2016
Oil change 270,566 2/15/2017
Rear diff fluid change 2/17/2017
Front diff fluid change 2/17/2017
Moly grease add to Birfs 2/17/2017
Center Diff fluid change 3/11/2017
PPH and Coolant flush 3/11/2017
MPG logged 3/16/2017 87 octane, 80% highway, 285/75/16: 13.8 mpg
New OME steering damper 4/19/2017
New Radiator and Shroud 6/4/2017 274,968
Engine replaced with 200k engine. New head gasket, water pump, belts and seals 282,600
New brake booster 5/26/2018
PCV valve and grommet 6/30/2018 287,862
Coil spring replacement OME 850 and 860 9/2/2018 289,240
Tire rotation 9/3/2018 289,240
New AC condenser 4/11/2019 293,517
New discs, EBC pads and Toyota extended length rubber brake hoses 293,517.
Reman. 150 amp tundra alt installed 295,283
Rock sliders installed 295,283
Group 31 Duracell AGM battery 9/2/2019 295,478
Fan clutch fluid change to 20K 4/4/2020
Turbo installed May 2021 301.451
315/75/16 mud tires installed 301,505

Last edited:
I was sick and embarrassed of the torn leather seats so I went ahead and bought the leather covers from Lseat. Good quality. I added some high density foam to the bottoms so the seats look a little like over stuffed pillows but they a very comfortable. Also added the seat heater kit because I like feeling dainty at times.
seats.jpg

Looking good! Did you check to see if the lockers work and it's not just a switch? :clap:

Oh yea. First I looked at the axles and saw the actuators and then I locked them on a dirt road to make sure they worked on the test drive.
Good to go.

IMG_0185.JPG
What seat heater kit did you use ?? and did you go with the Factory Switches ?

I used a kit I found on eBay. I'll add the link shortly.
The switches fit very well in the center console and have the Toyota look.

Got a big project completed this weekend: PHH and Coolant flush. So glad its done. The Pesky Heater hose is appropriately named. Ended up using a dremel to cut the ban closer to the block. I couldn't get it to rotate so I could get pliers to open it. The carnage of the band fell and I wasn't able to find it, but I won. Was very careful not to knick the pipe. Flushed the entire system with distilled water using a 12v pump until it ran clear. Lots of very brown water.
Suck it PHH:
phh.jpg

I was sick and embarrassed of the torn leather seats so I went ahead and bought the leather covers from Lseat. Good quality. I added some high density foam to the bottoms so the seats look a little like over stuffed pillows but they a very comfortable. Also added the seat heater kit because I like feeling dainty at times.
View attachment 1406572

Beautiful! What color is that? Ivory? Trying to figure out which one is the best replacement for the factory tan.

Beautiful! What color is that? Ivory? Trying to figure out which one is the best replacement for the factory tan.

Thanks. Yes Ivory. Not exact but pretty close. I recommend it. It is hard work and your fingers will be aching but well worth the effort.

Couple of small updates:
Installed a hand throttle:
hand throttle.jpg

Also added a blue sea fuse box in the rear with 12v outlets, USB and a voltmeter that is controlled by a switch. Also installed a 1500 watt inverter (3000 peak) where the old subwoofer was located and a remote switch. All of this is powered through a 2 awg cable and a 150 amp fuse. I think it turned out pretty good. Just need to find some black screws or paint the ones that are already installed.

rear power.png

Nice progress!!!

Nice build so far! We've got to get a meet and greet going for the Georgia guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom