The magnificent roofrack build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some time ago i started wanting a new roof rack, the one i had was to small, and had a high edge all the way aroung, so it wouldnt accommodate my roof tent (Overcamp).

My demands for a new rack would be:
-Must be very strong (carry at least 150kg at any given point).
-Size at least 210cm X 130cm. (82"X51")
-Low weight, no more than 40kg.
-Low profile.
-Should be easy to mount lights on.
-Should be of a rust free material (prefered), or with heavy duty coating.

Came up with three alternatives to suit my demands, Gamviti, Front Runner, or make one myself.

Front Runner is nicely built, and has dealers in europe, but its insanely priced.

Gamviti has a great design, but with shipping costs from Colorado to Norway it would turn out quite expensive in the end.

The third option, to build one myself was chosen, and i soon started planning what it shold look like.:hmm:
I chose to steal some of gamviti's design, because it is a simple and strong design, and its easy to build if you are used to metal work.
I did some design changes and figured out to build it from salt water resistant aluminium alloy.
While i was looking at gamviti's roof rack i noticed he had some very nice mountings for the 100, so i purchased them.
The tubing the rack is made of is aluminum 6082-T6 32mm X 3.5mm, basket is made from 25mm X 3.5mm, stenght of this alloy is about similar to normal construction steel.
The main changes from gamviti's design are that its a bit beefier, more cross sections so i am able to walk on it without falling in betwen, and larger basket wich is removable on one side to be able to fit the overcamp (2m long).

Last weekend i finally came around to make this, and have worked on it several nights this week.:wrench:
I finnished it last night and i am very pleased with the result, today, a landcruiser enthusiast and former 80 series owner came up to me and said this was the nicest 100 he had ever seen, and wondered where i had bought the roof rack :clap:

Started out with a bunch of pipes, made myself a rectangle frame and started filling it up.
Foto0024.jpg
Foto0028.jpg
Foto0029.jpg

Next day i made the mounting points (10mm aluminium plate), test fitted some lights, and watched the snow failing to fall of the roof.:popcorn:
Foto0030.jpg
Foto0032.jpg
Foto0033.jpg

Later on, i continued my important work, and hached out a plan for my basket with removable sides :hmm:

Threaded the pipes where the where to join, and locked a m20 bolt in place on the removable piece with lots of locktite.
Foto0037.jpg
Foto0038.jpg
Foto0042.jpg

The basket is angled slightly outwards, as seen on the first picture.

Next day i started pulling the wires for my front, rear and side lights.
Most of the wiring goes inside the tubes of the rack.
Foto0043.jpg
Foto0044.jpg
Foto0047.jpg

After a good nights sleep and a good day at work i went back to my roof rack project :bounce:

Started soldering the pigtails for the lights, then a good hearted wolf came by and told me to keep up the good work, so i did...
Foto0054.jpg
Foto0052.jpg
Foto0050.jpg

After work last night i raced home for dinner and raced back to the workshop to lay the final hand on my rack.:steer:

At first i mounted the gamviti roof mounts, they fitted perfectly, and althoug this design might look weak to the untrained eye because of the tilt inwards, they are actually immensly strong both up and down and sideways when they are joined together by a rack or girder.

Then i finnished connecting all my wiring in a junction box and test mounted the rack to mark the mounting holes.

I have previously wired up the car for the following functions:
-Reverse light.
-Working light both sides and rearwords via switch in center console.
-Front auxillary lights turn on with highbeam but only if front fog lights are turned on, my truck has no front fog lights, but the switch was there and it gives me a nice indicator light in the dash when the roof lights are on.
There is also a switch to turn on the front facing roof lights without the need to have the ignition and high beam on.
All ending in a quick connector under the hood on the right side for easy removal of the rack. (loosen mounting bolts (12xM8) and disconnect one cable).
Foto0055.jpg
Foto0056.jpg
Foto0057.jpg

Last edited:
After drilling the mounting holes, putting the rack back on and doing up all the bolts i took a test walk and a quick victory dance to check up on the rigidity of my product. It is rock solid, i am 90kg and can jump on the weakest point with no flexing of the construction at all :grinpimp: all it does is hurt my feet.

Then i finnished up mounting the lights and finally some testing.
Foto0059.jpg
Foto0060.jpg
Foto0062.jpg

The lights mounted are:
-Two Rigid industries dually 15w led (spot pattern) facing forwards.
-Two Rigid industries dually D2 28w led (driving pattern) facing forwards.
-Two Vision-x solstice solo 10w led (flood pattern) to the sides.
-Two Vision-x solstice solo 10w led (euro pattern) facing rearwards.

On the way home last night i got to test the lights and i am truly impressed, the duallys light up far and wide (driving pattern maybe a bit to wide for my use), and the vision-x solo is truly a small power pack.
I will try to remeber to take a pic showing how these work.

Nice work!! Impressive amount of wiring there, and I like the threaded pipe for removable tubing, that's very innovative. I may need to borrow that idea... again, great stuff. :beer:

btw I have started selling just the mounting plates and light tabs, for others who like the concept but would prefer to DIY- shipping these guys is a major pain, particularly half way around the world!

WOW! Really nice, looks awesome! Love that threaded pipe idea too. I'm guessing you'd cap those ends when nothing is threaded into them?
:clap:

Can't say enough good stuff about Nakman and Gamiviti racks/mounts as well.
Top shelf stuff.

Last edited:
Is there enough clearance to mount the junction box for the lights on the underside of the rack? This would allow for more usable room on top. Also, is this the final fitment? It looks like the rack goes more to the passenger side (rear to front) as you look at it from above.

paflytyer, i havent given any thought to pluging the ends as i see no need for it, the removable piece is only off on one side when my roof tent is mounted ( a couple of weeks during summer)

pfran, this picture is the final fitment yes, but the mounts give me adjustment of about 1.5cm to each side, i just went out to take a look when you commented this and according to my eyes it is centered. Probably the pic lying a bit.

edit: pfran, are you looking at the picture where i stand on the rack looking straight down? it looks wrong because the roof of the 100 itself wide at front and narrower in the rear, while the rack is the same with all the way. (only looks weird from top)

Last edited:
One more pic from last night and a couple taken today in daylight with a better camera.
Foto0061.jpg
DSC_0381.JPG
DSC_0380.JPG

More pics from today.

I am faily pleased with the finnished product, i might do some minor changes later after some use.

All the places i have been grinding i later polished so that it will all oxidize soon to a conform grey surface (no shiny spots).
DSC_0378.JPG
DSC_0379.JPG
DSC_0382.JPG

Where im at it has been from zero to -10 (celcius) the last couple of weeks, its been a mild winter.
I found the ladder on ebay.co.uk, its really crappy quality, but it was very cheap, and it does the job.

by the way, the rack seems to have absolutely no wind noise, at any speed the cruiser is comfortable in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom