the machinist called about my cylinders today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The background: Per the advice here about buying the best body, frame and interior... I found a LX450 with no rust, good paint (original, no peeling clear coat - kept in a garage), triple locked. Driven "easy" never off-road, babied. But... 372k miles! Seriously:eek:

I wanted a project; a vehicle that I'd rebuild bottom to top.

Engine & tranny are out. Head is almost done. Dropped off the block a few days ago. Machinist called, he couldn't believe his own words. "All cylinders are in spec. I'll hone them out, you get the standard pistons."

Good story huh?;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Being that these engines are relatively low compression and “simple”, it’s not all that surprising. I too rebuilt a 1FZFE a while back with similar sort of kms which just needed a hone.
Ive also rebuilt a LS based engine which needed oversized pistons after just 65,000km. (Km, not miles).
Glad it worked out for you though 👍

Did the head gasket on mine at 316K miles and I could see the crosshatch still. Just a little carbon build-up at the top of the cylinders so I believe. Good luck with the build!

Or upgrade and have them bored to 1mm Toyota makes a oversized pistons, then you can have a 4.6

Congrats for the nice find and thanks for sharing.
These engines aren’t squeezed at all. The primary objective of the design is reliability and longevity not performance.
Good luck with your build
Cheers!

Great news. My $hitbox has 351k and I'll run it as is until the 1FZ decides to change her own oil.

Did the head gasket on mine at 316K miles and I could see the crosshatch still. Just a little carbon build-up at the top of the cylinders so I believe. Good luck with the build!
^^^
Same on mine. 325K miles, original cross-hatching still visible in all cylinders. 190+ psi on each during compression test afterward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom