The Lowcountry beer thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a great idea, but I'm betting when it comes to market it may be priced out of my range.

Growler Chill

From reading their kickstarter page, I'm guessing it retails around $450-500....you can buy a lot of growlers for $500.

Edit to add: You can still back the project at $379 which will secure one of the first run production units.

628E5CC6-330E-40EF-BB75-EFDECB065616.jpg

Enjoying one of my favorite hefeweizen.

Tonight's Miles and Jun indulgence....

image.jpg

Same theme, different taste. Nice to be home on a Wednesday for a change.

IMG_4146.JPG

Brought to me from a colleague in Pella, IA. Strong, is the whiskey barrel in this one.

View attachment 1328276

This years batch of KBS will hit the shelf on 4/1. Bottles says they are limiting each customer to one 4/pack. At what that will probably sell for, I'm limiting myself to one, but have to try it.

Last edited:
Founders KBS hit the shelf yesterday and will probably be sold out by tomorrow. Its quite possibly the best beer I've had, if not in the top 3. At $23, one 4-pack is enough for me. Beer Advocate rating: 100

IMG_1342.JPG

It was hard to miss the HAMOM and Randy's cookout, neither of which are ever a disappointment. I don't have much for my weekend to show for it, except a couple wins at Hi-Wire brewery in Asheville. I found 2 excellent lagers, a doppelbock and a Baltic porter (not to be confused with an American porter ale). I shared my bounty last night with some beer snob friends who claim they've never had a good lager. All were converted in one sip. Both the doppelbock and Baltic porter are true to style, but currently out of season. A beer-venture to Asheville is a must if you want to try some of the best small breweries around. Sorry for the stock photo, the only pic I took this weekend was of the dogs.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 2.00.23 PM.png
17990902_10210020804928946_1412634283760583288_n.jpg

waiting for the sun to go down last night, just relaxing at home

18119326_10154691126867875_1580385631485361310_n.jpg

waiting for the sun to go down last night, just relaxing at home

18119326_10154691126867875_1580385631485361310_n.jpg
Very cosmopolitan, but nice. Try a Weyerbacher Tiny (Imperial Stout), they're on the shelf now and about half the price of a KBS, but I'm not sure there's much, if any difference. I've tried both back to back.

Enjoyed a Big Bad Baptist by Epic Brewing on Saturday night; Imperial stout with cocoa nibs and coffee, aged in whiskey barrels. It's a big beer, similar to KBS, but more with more whiskey and less chocolate flavor (than KBS). Pours thick and dark as night; great after dinner / dessert beer. Definitely recommend picking this one up if you run across it.

Tim - look for some epic beer on your next Hurricane Creek run!

Also, in beer news, AB just purchased Wicked Weed:
Wicked Weed Brewing acquired by Anheuser-Busch - Beer Street Journal
I already looked up the distributors, and they all seem to be in the mid and east part of the state. I'll still look in western NC as I go there frequent.

I read that about WWB, but I'm not much of a IPA guy. My IPA friends have been freaking out and I agree, local craftsmen selling out to the biggest beverage company in the world. It's a shame.

For any of you lamenting the fact you missed out on this year's KBS, alas, Mt Pleasant Wholefoods has about a case left and marked down to w$19.99. I bought more, but graciously left some for you johnny-come-latelys, no offense Johnny C or Johnny V.

For any of you whining that this cost more than your Miller Lite, Weyerbacher has a Belgian imperial stout out called Tiny. It cost much less than KBS and is nearly as good.

weyerbacher-tiny.jpg

IMG_4953.JPG

Made a run to the local beer store. I was shocked to find a few KBS still on the shelf. Didn't want to be greedy so I only grabbed one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom