The Lowcountry beer thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Knocking them down....

IMG_0378.JPG

Beer advent starts tonight. First week:
c365a2335945b88e6461287294528e4e.jpg

Beer advent starts tonight. First week:
Those look great! Wine barrel aged and sour apricot are intriguing - I normally stick to regular old stouts and IPA's, so you'll have to let us know how those are. Does your wife generally bring the thunder with a rare/awesome beer on Dec 25th?

Left Hand Brewing Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout....

IMG_0381.JPG

Those look great! Wine barrel aged and sour apricot are intriguing - I normally stick to regular old stouts and IPA's, so you'll have to let us know how those are. Does your wife generally bring the thunder with a rare/awesome beer on Dec 25th?

@CharlestonG8R - quick update for you:

The wine barrel aged beer was good; a little funky like like a wild ale should be. The hibiscus flavor seemed to balance the cherry flavor a bit and you could taste a little bit of the oak from the wine barrels.

The sour apricot is really, really good. It would be a great summer brew for Charleston - tart, nice fruit flavor without being sweet, and really sessionable. Very good beer.

The saison (white can) was forgettable - good but not great.

The day 1 beer, Firestone Walker "Luponic Distortion" was excellent. It's an early leader among the group. Killer flavors of orange, pineapple, and peaches from some variety of German hop that the brewer found. Very minimal pine flavors - one of my favorite IPAs I've ever had.

Today's brew is a Gose IPA...interested to see how that goes!

Sweet mother of klingons, what a holy-horrible taste ! This thing tastes like Tribble piss !

IMG_1233.JPG

Sweet mother of klingons, what a holy-horrible taste ! This thing tastes like Tribble piss !

View attachment 1363128

What did you expect??? They didn't think you would really drink the beer, just collect it and set it on the shelf in your office next to your Star Trek Pez dispensers that i spotted a few weeks ago when i dropped off Jeremy's tires!

What did you expect??? They didn't think you would really drink the beer, just collect it and set it on the shelf in your office next to your Star Trek Pez dispensers that i spotted a few weeks ago when i dropped off Jeremy's tires!

IMG_0386.JPG

Or should i say :

IMG_0387.JPG

@CharlestonG8R - quick update for you:

The wine barrel aged beer was good; a little funky like like a wild ale should be. The hibiscus flavor seemed to balance the cherry flavor a bit and you could taste a little bit of the oak from the wine barrels.

The sour apricot is really, really good. It would be a great summer brew for Charleston - tart, nice fruit flavor without being sweet, and really sessionable. Very good beer.

The saison (white can) was forgettable - good but not great.

The day 1 beer, Firestone Walker "Luponic Distortion" was excellent. It's an early leader among the group. Killer flavors of orange, pineapple, and peaches from some variety of German hop that the brewer found. Very minimal pine flavors - one of my favorite IPAs I've ever had.

Today's brew is a Gose IPA...interested to see how that goes!

The Fort Collins Brewing Gose IPA was awesome; I really liked that beer a lot.

The Great Divide Hibernation ale was very tasty as well. Rated 90 on Beer Advocate, it has big aroma and comes in at 8.7 percent. Dark copper in color, flavors of malt, caramel, with a little grassy/hoppy finish. Keep an eye out for this one; I believe Great Divide has some beers available in SC.

The Santa Fe Brewing Imperial Java Stout was pretty good. Pours dark, almost black. Nothing but coffee aroma; very strong coffee flavor with some notes of malt and chocolate. This is an above average coffee stout.

Here's set 2.

So far, I've only had the El Gose by Avery. Light bodied, easy drinker. Tart and salty like a gose should be. Strong lime flavor. To me, this is what a Corona with salt and lime aspires to be.

Day 12 is a beer by Trve brewing - it's a heavy metal brewery out here and I reeeeeeeeeally like their beer. They kind of remind me of Burial in Asheville if that gives you a point of reference. I'm pretty stoked about that beer being on the radar.

17f07cd204b044d41c0d8a5d73c91e84.jpg

Went to Mt Pleasant Bottles to get 2 of my favorites. Weyerbacher's Quad is incredible, a seasonal dark ale and supplies are running low. Sierra Nevada's Narwhal is an outstanding imperial stout. Both are a must try.

They ran out of Backwoods Bastard a while back, but just got a 2nd shipment in. That's right @ErikinSC & @JToobe, for $13.99, you've got a second chance.

Narwhal.jpg

Went to Mt Pleasant Bottles to get 2 of my favorites. Weyerbacher's Quad is incredible, a seasonal dark ale and supplies are running low. Sierra Nevada's Narwhal is an outstanding imperial stout. Both are a must try.

They ran out of Backwoods Bastard a while back, but just got a 2nd shipment in. That's right @ErikinSC & @JToobe, for $13.99, you've got a second chance.

View attachment 1364609

Ha! @CharlestonG8R was handing out backwoods bastards at the ONSC Christmas party last week like they were Bud Lights! I thought maybe Charleston had gotten a few truckloads since my delivery! Stop teasing me with the Narwahl & Quad.....I have heard of such sightings but they are elusive to me!

Last of the Beer Advent Calendar:

a7544ac78973149de8edaade14718636.jpg

Stand outs from the second set were:

El Gose which I mentioned previously, and the Trve Brewing Currant Mouth - a wild / mixed culture golden ale aged on black currants. Tart, pungent, a little funky, and dry on the finish. Very good brew from one of my favorites in Denver.

Set 3 has some heavy hitters:
Jolly Russian is Odell Brewing's Russian Imperial Stout aged in Rum Barrels. That bad boy was really good; poured dark as night, boozy aroma on the nose. Coffee, cocoa, vanilla, oak, dried fruit...delicious.

I've been drinking the Isolation Ale - really good, hopped winter style ale.

Also had the Cutthroat Porter a few times this year - beer advocate 98 points. Outstanding porter.

I hear the Insane Rush IPA is good as is the Jubilation Ale (Avery).

Of course, we'll finish off with the always outstanding Prairie Bomb - a must have if you've never tried it.

Stand outs from the second set were:

El Gose which I mentioned previously, and the Trve Brewing Currant Mouth - a wild / mixed culture golden ale aged on black currants. Tart, pungent, a little funky, and dry on the finish. Very good brew from one of my favorites in Denver.

Set 3 has some heavy hitters:
Jolly Russian is Odell Brewing's Russian Imperial Stout aged in Rum Barrels. That bad boy was really good; poured dark as night, boozy aroma on the nose. Coffee, cocoa, vanilla, oak, dried fruit...delicious.

I've been drinking the Isolation Ale - really good, hopped winter style ale.

Also had the Cutthroat Porter a few times this year - beer advocate 98 points. Outstanding porter.

I hear the Insane Rush IPA is good as is the Jubilation Ale (Avery).

Of course, we'll finish off with the always outstanding Prairie Bomb - a must have if you've never tried it.
Of those beers, Prairie Bomb is the only one that I've tried. I agree with your sentiments, sir, that is one DANG good beer! REALLY good. It's towards the top of my all time favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom