The Knitting Circle (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did a SOA on a scout and had to cut and turn the knuckles. Hope that isn’t necessary on your 40. I do own a portaband that makes knuckle cutting much easier if you have to go that route.

It's necessary on a 40 as well...

What the plan for the 40?
SOA conversion, goal is to keep it as low as possible. @cruisermatt is helping me cut down the Ruff Stuff spring perches in the rear to sit lower. I'm going to run my left over stock rear 60 springs in the rear, which should give it a much better ride and increase the rear wheelbase ~2.5". For the front, the plan is to do a shackle reversal and french the shackle hanger into the frame to make it sit lower and then reverse the stock 40 front springs to stretch the wheelbase ~2". Then running 36x13.50 iroks on 16" wheels.

I've got the rear axle torn down and prepped, just waiting for parts to show up.

I'ma need lots of DLC knowledge and eyes on it when I get to that point...

Oh, I don’t know jack about SOA or leaf springs, other than you will have to cut and turn if you do.
I was under the impression that folks avoided SOA around the TLCA cruiser community.

I was under the impression that folks avoided SOA around the TLCA cruiser community.

Hell no! :D That’s what the restoration purists WANT you to think

fj40-jpg.1248037

dooooo it.

Hope the IROKs balance better than regular swampers. I wouldn't have a set (swampers that is) on something I was going to drive on the highway.

Hope the IROKs balance better than regular swampers. I wouldn't have a set (swampers that is) on something I was going to drive on the highway.
I’m not too worried about it. I’ve got a set of 315/75/16 bfg ko2 for around town use.

Yep - on an old Dell laptop. @bamabrock I think you're close by. I'll be around all weekend if you want to get in touch.
Thanks. I'm headed to the farm in Perry Co for the weekend to guide some hunters who bought a trip I donated to the CCA event's silent auction, but please bring it with you to the meeting next week if you're coming. I'm going to try to get it running on mine again too.

My AHC is getting really stiff and I think the pressures are off badly with the weight of my bumper/winch up front, sliders and loaded drawers in the rear. I'm flushing the fluid this weekend and checking the graduations in the reservoir from Low to High to make sure the globes are still good.

Then crosslevel the front TBs, install the king springs and get the front and rear back to spec using the combined tips in the AHC thread.
Definitive list of AHC maintenance items

I actually really like the AHC and hope it just needs a bit of tweaking to get back into spec.

@bamabrock I recently replaced my rear springs with new OEM Lexus springs and added 30mm spacers to try to get pressures back in spec. Also changed out fluid. No armor, but loaded drawers. It was riding great right after fluid change and with no drawers and pressures in spec, but I was only getting about 9 graduations. With the loaded drawers, the ride is stiff again. I may work with it this weekend with the loaded drawers in to see if I can get pressures back in spec. Will be curious to see the impact of your King Springs - thought about going that route but was afraid it would be overkill with no armor.

If I can make it on the 17th I'll bring tech stream. If you get back to town and want to swing by and get this old XP laptop, I don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom