The Great ONSC Gun Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at new guns. Anyone have experience with the M&P-15 Sport II 5.56?

That particular -no.
But whichever is in your price range you can upgrade as you like.
For the modest price / pretty standard specs - the $$ is there to shoot plenty & change to a M-Lok rail, etc - as time & $$ allows :

I’m a fan of building over off-the-shelf, but that’s a great brand if the platform is newer to you.

But that’s a nice balance between cheap AR’s & the more premium off the shelf like DD, LWRC, etc.

That particular -no.
But whichever is in your price range you can upgrade as you like.
For the modest price / pretty standard specs - the $$ is there to shoot plenty & change to a M-Lok rail, etc - as time & $$ allows :

I’m a fan of building over off-the-shelf, but that’s a great brand if the platform is newer to you.

But that’s a nice balance between cheap AR’s & the more premium off the shelf like DD, LWRC, etc.

Good info. This would be my first AR so I figured an off the shelf option may be a good place to start and then mod as needed. From reading around though, it looked like the M&P is a really solid mid range option. Sounds like your comments echo that 👍

If you’re ordering to a local b/m shop this config is same $$

– If you get the fixed FR sight, it’s also the gas block on the barrel. Which is totally fine but until you get into these, that’s not always common knowledge.

I did SKU 12024 - if you plan to run a red-dot, it lets you get whatever height aside from absolute co-witness or taller to see over the fixed A2 gas block/FR sight.

Also adds the Magpul grip right away so you could add a flashlight & mount right out of the box.

— But that’s just suggestions, if the old school clamshell handguard & fixed post suits your needs/wants better then great! It’s all personal use/preferences.

If you’re ordering to a local b/m shop this config is same $$

– If you get the fixed FR sight, it’s also the gas block on the barrel. Which is totally fine but until you get into these, that’s not always common knowledge.

I did SKU 12024 - if you plan to run a red-dot, it lets you get whatever height aside from absolute co-witness or taller to see over the fixed A2 gas block/FR sight.

Also adds the Magpul grip right away so you could add a flashlight & mount right out of the box.

— But that’s just suggestions, if the old school clamshell handguard & fixed post suits your needs/wants better then great! It’s all personal use/preferences.

This is what I’m looking at. Seems like a good price and local shop has them.

Looks like it has the taller sights though. I will be putting an optic on it so that’s not ideal.

16A139CE-ACA2-44AC-8233-C700733AAD97.jpeg

@Hokie LX - hey, for that price, cool!

— If you decide, the fixed post/gas block can be swapped <$40, and really you can run it with a ‘absolute co-witness’-height block & red dot w/o any issues.

And in reality, the fixed post up front is great esp if the expected use involves some bumps & dings.
All versions have merits for different styles of use.

Looking at new guns. Anyone have experience with the M&P-15 Sport II 5.56?
I don't have direct experience, but I can say the M&P series platforms have impressed a guy I know whose opinion carries weight on rifles. I know this sounds ridiculous, but without him mentioning it I would not have given that rifle a second look. After hearing it, I would trust them to work.

EDIT: I posted without seeing the pic. I believe he mentioned another variant of the M&P series rifles given the handguard is different. Have you considered the SIG TREAD? Those are in a similar price range and may have better components right out of the gate (handguard, trigger, etc).

Me....I'd order a complete upper and complete lower from psa.

Get something with a nice free float rail and magpul furniture. Throw a nice red dot or 1.5-4 scope on it and enjoy

Any recommendations of upper/lower you recommend from PSA?

you just looking for a standard ar type in 556 ? to plink some

powder burn out is about 18" a 20" will be a little more quit, and get a little more distance.
a 16" will have a little more bark/flash. a good flash hider will help.

you just looking for a standard ar type in 556 ? to plink some

Yeah a range toy basically. Budget is probably $800-900 without accessories.

Reading up on different build options tonight to see what’s out there. Lots of terminology I’m having to learn for the AR.

dixie gun show is this weekend go browse and chat get some 1st hand info. i was thinking about heading that way in the morning don't have to have anything, but it would be some exercise.
look at the psa stock and compare prices and hold some different configs never know

Last edited:
Meh. Go AK all the way. 30 caliber goodness!

But seriously, handle some stuff and see what you like. Don’t assume that you need to start “upgrading” whatever you buy. Your usage and needs will dictate that over time. There is no rush to be one of the cool kids. I’m sure you’ll be just fine with that S&W or similar.

As far as the A2 sight that was mentioned…my AR has it and also has a removable handle/rear sight. I’ve left the handle on because I really don’t want to put a red dot on a giant riser just to witness or clear the front sight. That’s the only buying advice I have. But again, that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like AR’s anyway.

Meh. Go AK all the way. 30 caliber goodness!

But seriously, handle some stuff and see what you like. Don’t assume that you need to start “upgrading” whatever you buy. Your usage and needs will dictate that over time. There is no rush to be one of the cool kids. I’m sure you’ll be just fine with that S&W or similar.

As far as the A2 sight that was mentioned…my AR has it and also has a removable handle/rear sight. I’ve left the handle on because I really don’t want to put a red dot on a giant riser just to witness or clear the front sight. That’s the only buying advice I have. But again, that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like AR’s anyway.

Oh c'mon John - just tell him to start with the Mosin..... :)

Yeah a range toy basically. Budget is probably $800-900 without accessories.

Reading up on different build options tonight to see what’s out there. Lots of terminology I’m having to learn for the AR.

+1 to PSA goods, I have a ‘budget‘ 15 penned out for a buddy using their complete upper.

Is the budget including your starter quantity of ammo or not?
-nothing worse than busting the ‘full nut‘ & forgetting the starter 1/2 or full case & the little crap like the bristle -15 brush / cleaning goods (shaped like the feed lips end).

If you do the upper/lower as pieces instead of that S&W/M&P ready-to-go, you might rewind to deciding on the handguard you want to stick with.
- changing fron the clamshell to a quad rail or M-Lok (aluminum ones) guard means swapping the barrel nut (most use a special tool) & a torque wrench - the rail all mount to the barrel nut, and it has to be ‘clocked‘ right at ~45ft/lb’s .

Cliff Note : swapping the handguard is involved / PITA.

+1 to PSA goods, I have a ‘budget‘ 15 penned out for a buddy using their complete upper.

Is the budget including your starter quantity of ammo or not?
-nothing worse than busting the ‘full nut‘ & forgetting the starter 1/2 or full case & the little crap like the bristle -15 brush / cleaning goods (shaped like the feed lips end).

If you do the upper/lower as pieces instead of that S&W/M&P ready-to-go, you might rewind to deciding on the handguard you want to stick with.
- changing fron the clamshell to a quad rail or M-Lok (aluminum ones) guard means swapping the barrel nut (most use a special tool) & a torque wrench - the rail all mount to the barrel nut, and it has to be ‘clocked‘ right at ~45ft/lb’s .

Cliff Note : swapping the handguard is involved / PITA.

Been reading a lot about AR’s. Getting more familiar with brands and offerings. If I build, I really like the aero precision m4e1 lower. Still looking at uppers. Likely would go with MLok style handguard but given it’s my first, I’m looking at complete uppers.

Building would definitely require some new specialty tools which is an additional expensive. Honestly, my budget isn’t that strict so it can float a bit.

Last edited:
After much reading, I think I'm looking at an Aero M4E1 lower with a BCM recce 16 BFH MCMR upper and BCM BCG and charge handle. I've also been looking at Aero BCG and CH but the pricing isn't much different. Seems to be a good solid mid range option. Anyone have one of these setups?

My buddy has a full aero build that I like shooting and another has the BCM upper that he swears by. I know these are more mid range options than I was discussing before but hoping to curb the need to build another shortly after by starting with a mid range option since I tend to do that...

Reason I'm thinking of the Aero lower is a) a full Recce 16 is not in stock and hasn't been for a while it looks like, b) the BCM lowers aren't available either, c) i like the integrated trigger guard on the M4E1, flared magwell, threaded pin for the bolt catch and the general aesthetic of the Aero.

Upper: BCM® MK2 BFH 16" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ MCMR-15 Handguard - https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-bfh-16-mid-length-enhanced-light-weight-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-15-handguard/

Lower: Aero Precision M4E1 Complete Lower Receiver with MOE Grip & UBR Gen2 Stock - Anodized Black - APAR600119 - https://www.classicfirearms.com/aero-precision-m4e1-complete-lower-receiver-with-moe-grip-ubr-gen2-stock-anodized-black-apar600119/

Other option is to go with an assembled aero upper for ~$350-400 less.

This rabbit hole is deeper than expected...

Last edited:
Dude, welcome to the the AR-xx abyss 😜

I know Aero well, they are milled ~75mi S of me & my LGS sells the snot out of them.
Tight tolorances & if I wasn’t such a Spikes Tactical billet lower whore, Aero would be on my short list of alternates.
Their upper & lowers are machined to the point it is like closing the door on a new Lexus.

Best analogy I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom