The Great ONSC Gun Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What an awful situation with no clear answers or solutions.
For my part I talked to my kids about gun ownership and why I own them.

I agreed with alot of the things they had to say and they agreed with alot of things I had to say.

In the end my daughter said it best. It is up to appointed leadership to come up with solutions. Kicking the can down the road because of politics is always and always will be a chicken**** move.

And by the way we also agreed that there is no real easy solution or one solution to fix the problem.

While I’m in a state that this July 1 will have a 10rd mag capacity on pews sold on or after that date, we are grandfathered those of us who are planning ahead.

without quoting any portion of NCFJ’s post, I find myself thinking alot of the same thoughts both of the present & upcoming…….esp out here where soon OR will be the only state on the coast without mitigation of the function or limitations on a AR-x platform.

It just seems like Groundhog Day anytime one of these shooting events occur & politicians try to blame the tool & not the user.

They can’t pass laws that the lawless care nothing about.

A heartening statistic was that even liberal WA stands around 30% gun owners, and that nationally around 60% of the population think further restrictions on guns isn’t any form of an answer.

So we just need to vote the right people & make them stick to their original words.

Heck, in 2014 our governer Jay Enslee legalized SBR’s in WA w/ Obama in the big chair, and now in his last term signed this 10rd mag capacity limit - what a 180° in ~8yrs.

I have no answers either save I reload & am absolutely ready for 7/1/22 here in-state ;)

What an awful situation with no clear answers or solutions.
For my part I talked to my kids about gun ownership and why I own them.

I agreed with alot of the things they had to say and they agreed with alot of things I had to say.

In the end my daughter said it best. It is up to appointed leadership to come up with solutions. Kicking the can down the road because of politics is always and always will be a chickens*** move.

And by the way we also agreed that there is no real easy solution or one solution to fix the problem.

Your daughter is a bright young lady.

I follow Colion Nior on YT, if you never heard of him/bother with YT - here’s ~4:30 of one of the most articulate, succinct speakers of the pro-2A bunch :

Very well stated. I personally do not own an AR-15 based platform weapon. Just never tripped my trigger. I really appreciate that the man in the video clearly stated that this is the best weapon platform for home defense. That to me is a clear and responsible answer to the question "What is your reason for the purchase of this weapon?"

The irony for me is those we voted into office focus on that very weapons platform, as does the media while statistics show they are only involved in 30% approx. of mass shootings. Because it politically makes sense. Because they want to be re elected and trotting out their disgust for the killer assault weapon is an easy play. Go ahead and play that same line on the pistols and shotguns used. Lets be real here, you can walk in anywhere with 4 or more 17 round mag Glock 45s under a coat and only a trained eye would notice.

The focus has to come off one particular platform of weapon and be instead aimed at the individual. SCIENCE in the form of studies and evidence are narrowing down the commonalities of shooters. The FBI has been keeping records on animal abusers for years with the belief that this is where many of these shooters and other violent offenders find their roots.

Only a multi layered approach will slow this down. The layers need to be linked under one umbrella. The words "we are from the government, we are here to help" scare the hell out of me. But a federal level agency is the only way it will work. With access to other agencies like FBI etc. perhaps some computer wiz (sarcasm) can link them all together so that when a lead comes in they can cross reference to see if said person had a record of killing cats etc. Sure 99% will go nowhere but if that 1% is stopped, well it's a start.

I don't see this being resolved before some government hot shot that some segment of us elected pushes through some act that effects those of us that are gun owners. It'll make the news, piss some off, get them cheers and votes from others. Either way, they "did the right thing"

Bottom line from my perspective, until this is not treated as a political football but as a serious cultural issue (this is not happening everywhere) and our ELECTED officials get off their collective buts and DO SOMETHING, hell ANYTHING is better than what they have been doing, this will happen again, and again.........

The main lesson learned this past week is that law enforcement will not always protect you and your family in a dire situation irregardless of good intentions. You, as the protector, solely have that obligation to protect the ones around you. Criminals and psychopaths will always be a threat regardless of the law. We, as legally armed citizens, are the first line of defense. This is not political, this is our right.

@NCFJ - I’m 100% tracking your thoughts/last post.

Heck, I bet most of us owners think about exactly that.

I do have AR-x platforms & built/build as a side-hobby, and really I have a problem when politicians single out a single semi-auto ANYTHING & demonize it - like tools out in the garage, a certain tool is meant to do a specific job. —Sure, some other tool may be made to fit the job but freedom of choice is exactly that.

IMO 10mm pistols/loads are really a bear load (and really bear spray has a place in my personal choice ahead of going right to a pistol), - but that’s exactly it - 100% my personal choice for said situation, nothing more, nothing less.

We let any politician demonize any particular model of anything semi-auto, we know they will do the same to the next model/platform that shows up at a tragedy where another POS shooter does evil.

Eliminate soft targets, eliminate mass shootings

Exactly, schools first IMO (hey, our sheriff office you can’t enter armed & you go through a metal detector & a dog bowl for your pocket contents & briefcase.
Same at our city police HQ.
I got turned away (or they would throw away) - a .223 case that was spent, drilled in the neck 2x & primer pocket drilled out slightly oversize, not just pressed out - I won a $20 bet that went double/nothing (so $80) - on the 3rd shot I broke a birding clay that was coming out inline with us forward facing. So I made it a keychain.
—— (trap shooting? - I always mix-up which direction is skeet & which is trap)

Anyhow, totally useless brass on my keyring got me a trip out to the truck to drop it off, then back in - the security is private, so they don’t know me like the sheriff staff.

Point being - you never hear of a mass shooter at a bank or generally even a liquor store.
Banks have a guard & silent alarms, most liquor stores keep a firearm too — so here we have “our most precious legacy / resource” (politician speak when they frame gun control minutes after an event) - with mainly 1 lone school security guard-person, but otherwise near ZERO security or checkpoints like any government building.

School closest my house (elementary 1st-6th grade) was built shy of 5yrs ago & all the traditional architecture / no metal detectors save front main entrance - the security is a real city police-person, but unarmed save I hear a locker where their weapon is stored.
This is an excellent district & I can only name 1 better 1st-6th grade school in Skagit county.

If I was a parent of a child still in school, I’d make noise of this complete mess of not protecting our children while at school.

I spoke to a close friend yrs back about buying/giving/teaching -their youngest a bulletshield/plate carrier backpack.
— He near teared up even just telling me what he told her as to why it was so heavy empty & how to use it, she’s just now graduating 5th grade this year & he did it after a shooting (white boy that shot the church?- 2yrs ago anyhow), but she was extremely scared & IIRC she saw a therapist for a minimum of 3-4 visits.

Having to teach your 3rd grader how to use the backpack shield…..’Houston, we have a problem’ as astronauts would say.

sweet crap, that got long - sorry -

Every angle I have tried to take regarding some type of restrictions on ownership, type of weapon system, etc ,etc has a flaw of some type. I've always said that required hands on training would be a good thing, but how to make sure training is standardized and that the people conducting the training are well vetted? Also, how to pay for these new steps? If ones price of entry goes up by hundreds of dollars are we forcing lower income folks out of their rights?
Wa state, or maybe just King, Snohomish and Pirce counties have some new requirement for semi-automatic firearm purchasers that amounts to a borderline worthless classroom session.
I fine being labeled a hypocrite; I have stated in the past that there's no real civilian reason to own an AR. I now have 2 that I have built from the ground up. They're the Jeep or early 2000's Honda Civic of the gun world. The aftermarket support is completely bonkers, you have a wide range of caliber choices and you can configure one almost any way you can dream up. I am a veteran, so I lived with the system for a few years as well and lastly, they're pretty fun to shoot.
@LINUS Raises some good points in that A person who is facing a guilty verdict might well want to retaliate. I think there's been too many assumptions made regarding where and how to make a place "gun free," and or "secure." I don't know if we need to go as far as arming teachers (there would definitely need to be training involved), but having peoples children be quite a bit more secure at school would be a good thing.

^^^ @MrMikeyG - you’re thinking 1639, our state law about “keep your pews unloaded & in a safe” & the gun education class that is mandatory for semi-auto rifles (ah-hem, AR-x & AK’s) - I just got a new Sig 365 last month & the law is so hypocritical that I didn’t need the class for that or an H&K / also a semi-auto pistol real recent.

I did the class online just so I could speak from experience about the process - I did it ~4mo ago & it’s finally near standardized & not anything like the early days where it was a black hole / nothing state regulated so you were in a huge legal grey area.

The law is ridiculously slanted against AR-x’s & similar platforms bought as a turnkey unit.
If you buy AR lowers, that online class isn’t needed :rolleyes: - it’s state law but E of the Cascades alot of sheriffs’ openly have stated they refuse enforcement of the “locked / unloaded” -clause in the law.

Now with the 10rd max capacity magazine law starting 7/1/22, everyone is planning ahead that know - you’re grandfathered even to carry the 10+ in pistol mags, and I got that direct from the gun instructor to the WSP for our region up here.
He did state loaded AR mags carried should be in a range bag/etc - and obviously you can’t carry a rifle loaded in any manner.

IDK about how AR pistols will be handled if you are traveling, and neither did the shooting instructor as the new law didn’t address that facet at all.

The gov't created this mess, with the constant influx of immigrants with no skills and no money and no help to assimilate, policy after policy to break down the family, constant eroding of meaningful penalties for petty crime, ever increasing tax payer funded social safety nets so we no longer care about or even talk to our neighbors, and then making up rules and laws that they don't abide by or even understand.

Anyone who pays attention saw this coming. Its not rocket surgery. No new law or rule will fix it. The only thing that will fix it is for the gov't to get out of it. All of it. ALL OF IT.

A little poem I found

Now I lay me
Down to sleep
Beside my bed
A gun I keep
If I wake
And you’re inside
The coroners van
Will be your last ride

So ever since Bro moved up here to the Washington coast he has been bugging me to go hunting with him.
I've never been before and I finally got around to getting serious about it. I've only owned shotgubs and a pistol so I didn't know anything about rifles.
Andrea just bought me my birthday gift. A savage axis xp 308 with scope. Stainless on black matte.
At around $450 it seems to be a good entry level rifle from everything I've read.
Thanks to @shellb And @erymer for letting me chew their ear off for a bit.

Also looking to pick up a 303 enfield as a older rifle passion project. Originally I was going ro get a kitted out one to start hunting with but with no offshelf ammo I decided against it. Every male who is related to me and was alive during WWI or WWII would have served and used a variant of one so I have a connection to it there.

Sweet pics :D
This is what it will look like

1659224323383.png

They only had the black barrel on the instore model.

I went with the Ruger 556 MPR but have two M&P-15 22's (one rifle, one pistol) and LOVE them. A friend I shoot with has the M&P-15 in 556 and I had no complaints shooting it. Sorry, not a ton of experience but hope someone else can chime in... Its a quality company and firearm, don't think you'll be disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom