The Great Gazoo from 1972! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While stripping the hood I discovered that it appeared someone must have stood on it at one point. It was covered in over a quarter inch of bondo. I took the crossmembers out, straightened everything and painted inside with POR15. It is still pretty rough though.

DSC04568.JPG

Also worked on the fenders.

Fenders2.jpg

In the mean time, the painter, Tracy, was hard at it. It took him about three weeks but I got everything back nice and GN25!

2011-12-08_17.13.15-1.jpg
DSC04568.JPG
2011-12-08_17.13.15-1.jpg

Fenders2.jpg

The wife thought it would be fun to mount it on Christmas so on Christmas Eve she made a couple phone calls and we had a few guys come over and tossed it on the chassis.

2011-12-24_13.17.17.jpg

That brings us up to today.

I got the steering in, well, pretty much in. I have a mini-truck box in there.
And am using the later turn signal switch.

DSC04569.JPG

DSC04570.JPG
DSC04569.JPG
DSC04570.JPG

2011-12-24_13.17.17.jpg

Originally the truck was a soft top tailgated truck. I should have left it with a tail gate but saved myself $500 by scoring two sets of really rusty barn doors from a Mud member for the cost of shipping and making them into one solid set. They look good to me!

DSC04572.JPG

I went ahead and put the pocket door on with the 5 Speed placard thanks to aatlas.

DSC04573.JPG

And my new door straps.

DSC04574.JPG

Yooper is hanging on to some hard doors for me in his shed in the U.P.
Next up is the paki top I got from a Mud member for a few hundred bones, wiring, priming the front clip, brake lines, seats, fuel lines, gas tanks (it is going to have two)...what else have I missed? Certainly something! :popcorn:
DSC04572.JPG
DSC04573.JPG
DSC04574.JPG

72 fj40 tan from new jersey???

wow great thread and really nice progress
i am very interested in the old title and frame from new jersey

i had a tan 72 fj40 back in the 90s and the frame was bent as well as one of the axles
it was my 3rd fj (i am up to number 8 now)

what was the name on the title and where was it from???

my old 72 was one of the few cruisers that i never took a picture of

good luck with your build

teeth to the wind
sno dawg

Here is a random pic of the drive train. Shortened rear DS to accommodate the H55.

DSC04247.JPG

The front is out of an FJ60 and was the right length.

DSC04243.JPG

Here you also see the 2.5" Superlift springs. I think I paid a couple bills for those and also the MAF U-Bolt flip kit and my stock steelies, powder coated gray. And no, those tires are not staying on there.

Some other things that happened is browser5031in Portland put a V8 in his 60 and sent me his 2F for shipping so that is in there instead of the F. I paid it forward by sending that old F to 3jvj in Wyoming for the cost of shipping.
DSC04247.JPG
DSC04243.JPG

Last edited:
Great progress by you and the missus. Look forward to seeing it around town one day!:cheers:

Great progress by you and the missus. Look forward to seeing it around town one day!:cheers:
Thanks Dave :cheers:
Happy Holidays! You start on that house yet?

Thanks Dave :cheers:
Happy Holidays! You start on that house yet?

Finished and living in it.....call me when you need some of my amateur help. PS--still driving the 55 around in the north end of the county.

Finished and living in it.....call me when you need some of my amateur help. PS--still driving the 55 around in the north end of the county.
Damn! I need to stop by!

wow great thread and really nice progress
i am very interested in the old title and frame from new jersey

i had a tan 72 fj40 back in the 90s and the frame was bent as well as one of the axles
it was my 3rd fj (i am up to number 8 now)

what was the name on the title and where was it from???

my old 72 was one of the few cruisers that i never took a picture of

good luck with your build

teeth to the wind
sno dawg
It was titled to Midland Cycle in Wallington. It belonged to a guy named John S.

Also subscribing to this.

Taking some time, but dang it is coming out nice as heck. Good darn job.

Put the fresh air vent on.
I used SS hardware and some nylon washers to ensure I did not damage the paint.

New Years 004.JPG

Heated them just a bit to make them more flexible under the screw heads.

New Years 005.JPG

New Years 006.JPG

That is not a scratch in the lower left. Just the light catching it right.
New Years 004.JPG
New Years 005.JPG
New Years 006.JPG

Last edited:
Also the kick vents...
New Years 007.JPG
rear side markers...
New Years 002.JPG
and B-pillar for the Paki top.
New Years 010.JPG

I wanted to get the painted parts off the basement floor.:hillbilly: Vent doors and lights are all used Mud purchases from deep in the classifieds. As is the top and vent.
New Years 007.JPG
New Years 002.JPG
New Years 010.JPG

Last edited:
I have two hoods a later one and a split hood. Both are in rough shape. Here are a couple shots of the split hood.

New Years 017.JPG

New Years 018.JPG

I am going to try to get both straight and then prime them to see just how bad they really are. The primer will for sure tell me how bad my metal working skills are. The split hood was free from a Mud member and it looked like someone was using it as a baseball back stop. The other one I paid $100 for and it had about a quarter inch of filler in it I did not detect. Apparently someone was doing some hood surfing on that one. I was able to get the big dents out of it significantly reducing the amount of filler I need.
New Years 017.JPG
New Years 018.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom