The Full_M3tal Build Up (86 4RNR) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting, lets see some test pics! :D
Awaiting Email For The Pictures From Thre Trail We Ran.
We Went To Avon, And Kurtis Creek.
There Was A Little Rock Pile, And One Big Rock Out By The Road. Almost Rolled It On The Big Rock. I Hope We Got Some Pics Of That.
They Should Be Up Really Soon.

Axle Top Gusset, And Diff Cover Protector, Then Welded, Steering Ams Painted (kinda Hard To See.

attachment.php

Who did you buy the top gusset from?

Last edited:
Looks pretty sweet, how did it work?

here are a few pics of my truck up in Moab for CM07. It did great and once the springs settled I was extremely happy how it handled. Still needs some more work but.................The pics are of the Escaltor on hell's revenge and one at the begining of the trail,
Escelator me  RS.jpg
Stradling the rock.jpg
A little horizontal help RS.jpg

sorry for the relatively neb question, but I'm still having a hard time understanding what axle, or spring wrap, really is. I gathered so far that it only really happens with leafs, but what exactly is happening? Are the springs shifting fore and aft rather than flexing and unflexing? Damnit. I am stumped.

Frame Height Is 29 Inches With 37". But I Got Pulled Over So I Will Have Get Some 29" Tall Tires To Meet The Reqiure Ments Of The Road.Traction Bar Is Done And Works Great. I Post Some Pics Up This Weekend.And Sunday Night I'll Post Picrures Of Little Moab Near Lehi

Just a FYI, my frame was at 29"s too but after wheeling for 4 days in Moab the springs settled and I am now at 27".

Hopefully your springs will settle as much, every little bit helps.

Baby food,

Spring, or axle wrap is when the axle body turns in relation to the vehicle, and can cause some very irratic and jumpy behavior from that axle. I believe it usually happens durring high load and slow speed situations, like when climbing a ledge off-road or similar.

sorry for the relatively neb question, but I'm still having a hard time understanding what axle, or spring wrap, really is. I gathered so far that it only really happens with leafs, but what exactly is happening? Are the springs shifting fore and aft rather than flexing and unflexing? Damnit. I am stumped.

Babyfood,

This is a good question to ask because not everyone knows exactly what this is. Jerod is right, this happens under heavy load conditions such as slow 4 wheeling and hard acceleration. This can cause the rear leaf spring to flex in somewhat of an S shape. This symbol, ~, looks kind of like what the spring does during spring wrap. The drawing below should give a better look at it. Diagram 1 is the normal way the spring should be and diagram 2 is the spring wrap. When a spring wraps up like this it can cause damage to the spring, brake U-joints or brake the pinion.
Axle Wrap Diagram.JPG

Update...

Ok So I Am Buying Some 1" 1/2 Hrew Tubing Real Soon For The Exo.

My Aussie Locker Broke. Sheard 3 Pins, And Bent 2 Springs. I Have 4.10's In The Rear Right Now.

Also I Have 31" Tall Tires On It Now To Meet The Height Laws In Utah. Which Is A Plus. Because Im Not Wearing Out My 37's Any More.(Driving Them On The Street)

I Just About To Post Somthing To.....

Ok I Have Been Busy With Work And Junk Like That. Until Yesterday When My Auto Tranny Blew The Front Main Seal.

Right When I Pulled Up To Our Shop, (Worldwide Off-Road)

This Happend Around 4:30-5:00 Of 07/08/09pm

So I Sat The For Abought 10 Mins Have A Smoke, And Figuring Out What The Hell I Was Going To Do.

So I Went Out Back With A Mess Of Tools In My Hands, And A Floor Jack.

Pull The Standard Tranny, And T-case (Top Shift, 85 4RNR), This Took About An Hour. Then I Pulled Clutch And Fly Wheel, Cltuch Master Cylinder And Line To Slace, Foot Pedal Assembley (Clutch, And Brake). Brought All Of That Itno The Shop.

Time Now: About 7:30 07/08/07pm

Took A Break, Dank Some Pink GatorAid, Had Anther Smoke.

Then Began To Pull The Auto Tranny, This Took About 2 More Hours. Until I Got Every Thing Disconected That Is And Ready To Pull It Out. Then Me And Jason Pulled Out The Auto Trany, Holy Shyt Was That Frucker Heavy. We Just Let It Fall From The Truck. (A Whole 3 Feet).

Oh And A Whole Lot Of ATF On The Floor From The Torqe Converter. After That Took Another Break. And Began To Clean Up The Shop.

Left The Shop About 10:20 07/08/07pm

Went Home To Watch ICE Road Truckers, And The Go To Sleep.

Woke Up At 10:30 07/09/07. Got Ready And Went To Checker Auto Parts And Got A Clutch Pilot Tool.

Got To The Shop About 11:20am

Took Off The Torqe Converter And Fly Wheel Behind, And The Spacers.

The Fly Wheel Was Missing 2 Bolts That Connect Into The Converter, And One Almost Screwed Out, Also After Taking Is Off. Every Bolts Hole That When Into The Converter Had A Crack.

After This I Put The Clutch And Fly Wheel On, Took Out The Foot Pedal Assembley So I Could Put In The Clutch Assembly In. Drilled A Few Holes For The Clutch Master Cylinder. Put In Brake And Clutch Pedal Assembly, Master Cyl, And Clutch Line For Slave Cyl. Cut Out Hump So Shifters Would Fit.

Its About 2:30pm

Took A Break Till About 3:00pm

Then Me, Jason, And My Uncle Scott Man Handled The Tranny Into Place. And Started The Bolts After We Go The Bolts To Start I Finshed Up And Put The Bolts In, Used The Same Starter, Bolted Int The t-Case Crossmember, Bled The Clutch Put Back On Drive Shafts. Try To Start It And Nothing.

Its 6:00pm 07/09/07 And I Was Supposed To Leave For A BBQ.

Then I Realized That On The Auto Tranny, You Had To Be In Park Or Netrual To Start It. So I Cut The Wire To Back A Button Start For It, And Then Try To Start It, And Battery Dead.

Charged The Battery, Started Right Up Pulled It Out And Let I Run.

This Is About 6:47pm 07/09/07.

I'd Have To Say Not Bad For A 14 Hour Job. It Would Have Been Better To Been Getting Paid Hourly For It, That Would Have Been Nice. But Oh Well.

Any One Want An Auto Tranny?

HAhahahahahaha No, I'm good.....

Have you got around to rebuilding my steering box yet? Remember, you owe me a write up! :D

Yes I Do Know I Need To Do That. Just Have Not Had The Money Or The Time. But I Just Put A Bunch Of FJ 40 Stuff On Ebay, So I Hope To Get Some Money Out Of That So I Can Do The Rebuild.

Also I Had A 4 Foot Stinger On My Truck And It Was A Bit To Tall. So I Cut It Off and Made This:
SD531286.JPG
SD531287.JPG
SD531288.JPG

U>p>d>a>t>e

A Few Things....

Bumper, Daul Case, Engine Rebuild, Cage Work, Rear Spool.

Some Pictures To Make You All Happy.....

A Start On The Rear Bumer, And Shackle Hangers:

2"x4"x3/16" Square Tube 2"x1/4"x2 1/4" Tubing

3038968_1_full.jpg

3038968_2_full.jpg

3038968_3_full.jpg

3038968_4_full.jpg

3038968_5_full.jpg

Mock Up, To Show How It Will Kind Of Work... Just A Mock Up!

3038968_6_full.jpg

3038968_7_full.jpg

3038968_8_full.jpg

Cage Design, Cutting Fenders, Bar In front Of Windshield Was Just An Idea....

3038968_9_full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom