The Full_M3tal Build Up (86 4RNR) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have any problems installing the Hi steer? Mine will not fit the Trunjan bearing or knuckle bearing. Got new bearings coming but do not think it will make a difference, I think the steering arms are a tiny bit to big. if so I will have to have them ground down.

Your build looks great, doing about the same thing but started with a straight axle already. Have some loose ends to tie up and hope to be done in a week or two on time for CM07
I Really Didn't Have Any Problems With The High Steer. Sometimes The Wont Slide In Like Butter. So I Used A Little Bit Of My Synthetic Grease On Where The High Steer Goes In The Trunjan Bearing. And Just Hit It In With A 2 1/2 Pound Hammer.

Also On The Tie Rod Ends I Had To Use A Air Gun To Get Them To Come Down Just Enough Where I Got Some Tire Wire Through Them.

I Was Planning On Building It For CM07, But I Have To Pay Bills, So I'll Be Testing It In The meen Time To See What Breaks, And Holds Up.

I Do Plan On Going To CM08.

So I Went To Tom Woods Today, Found A Shaft In Our Shop That Will Work. Just 3" To Short. They Say It Will Be Done Tommorow. For A Cost Of 100$.

What did you use parts wise for the front brakes? I am getting to upgrade them and have heard some conflicting stories. Need to get the correct info so I can get the parts lined up.

I am still waiting for the trunjens to come in, once in I will be able to finish the front. Got the tank back in and the rear is just about done, E brake and brake line left to go.

That was a nice deal on the drive shaft not to bad of a price indeed.

What did you use parts wise for the front brakes? I am getting to upgrade them and have heard some conflicting stories. Need to get the correct info so I can get the parts lined up.

I am still waiting for the trunjens to come in, once in I will be able to finish the front. Got the tank back in and the rear is just about done, E brake and brake line left to go.

That was a nice deal on the drive shaft not to bad of a price indeed.

Front Brakes I Used My IFS Calipers, And The SAS Came With New IFS Rotors.

If You Have 79-85 Toyota That Has The Solid Axle. You Should Be Fine With What You Have.

aslo do yuo have a build up page?

That is what I figured. I have the rotors but need to find some calipers. I like the vented rotors better but more importantly I plan on getting the larger master cylinder to match the rear end.

I don't have a build page, I started and forgot to take pictures. Now I am to late.

That is what I figured. I have the rotors but need to find some calipers. I like the vented rotors better but more importantly I plan on getting the larger master cylinder to match the rear end.

I don't have a build page, I started and forgot to take pictures. Now I am to late.
Do You Have A Stock Rear End?If You Are Going Discs In The Rear, Look For A Land Cruiser Master Cylinder.Infact I Think I Might Have One. I'll Have To Look Saturday. It Matches Right Up With The Mini Truck Booster. We Have 2 LC That Have Chevy Discs. So It Should Work Fine.

I have an 87 rear end from a truck. It has been reworked to fit an E-locker in it. My first thing to buy will be the calipers then the Master, some new brake lines so I can move some things around. Right now it is not a priority to get done but once the 37's are on it I am sure I will need something better to stop this bad boy (once it is done :)

Let me know about your MC I may have some cash left to get it, I am about $1200 over budget but then again that is normal for me.

I would agree with you but that was only the suspension. That is not including the front bumper and rear carier. I did buy some extra things like seals and bearings for the front since I had free shipping.

I hope to be done late Sunday afternoon with all the work. Then the drive shafts will need to be build and an alignment. All in all I think I should be able to drive it next weekend, I can't wait.

I would agree with you but that was only the suspension. That is not including the front bumper and rear carier. I did buy some extra things like seals and bearings for the front since I had free shipping.

I hope to be done late Sunday afternoon with all the work. Then the drive shafts will need to be build and an alignment. All in all I think I should be able to drive it next weekend, I can't wait.
Ok.. Awesome.I Know How You Feel Man, I Couldn't Wait To Drive Mine.... And I'm Loving Every Moment Of It.

UPDATE!

Ok So We Went To The Rattle Snake And Constrictor In Northern Utah.

Heres A Few Action Shots....

2605323_64_full.jpg

2605323_79_full.jpg

2605323_78_full.jpg

2605323_81_full.jpg

2605323_75_full.jpg

I Also Put A Anti Wrap Bar On The Front. And Was Not Thinking At The Time When I Made It.

I Put It Coming From The Rear Of The Axle To The Crossmember For The T-Case. And Bent The Poopie Out Of It.

So I Took It Off And Cut It Up. To Make A New One.

Did Some Research And Found One The Comes From The Front Of The Axle Up To The Front. Its Called A Slip Bar Traction Bar. Makes It So You Dont Need A Shackle At The End.

So I Went Scavageing Through The Shop And Found Parts That Would Work.

Parts List-

2" 120 Wall Tubing
1 1/4" 1/2" Wall Tubing
1981 Toyota Drive Shaft.

I Didn't Have My Camera Because My Brother Has My Memery Card And He's In Hawaii Right Now. So As Soon As He Gets Back I'll Post Some Picks Of It....

Heres A Mock Up Picture I Made On Paint....

2605323_82_full.jpg

Looking good man, I wish I was there with you guys. I want/need to wheel my truck so bad but have had the time to do so. Leave for Mab in a week and the springs are still stiff.

I like the anti wrap bar you are building, let me know how it works out. I am thinking I need one for the rear, got some axle wrap going on there. Not sure if I will build something or just buy a pre made one. The front seems OK for now but that can change as the springs loosen up a little.

I like the last shot, looks great and who needs a stock rear bumper anyway??

When you get the camera back, memory card, take some pics of the traction bar anxious to see how you will mount it and how it looks.

If you use the slip yoke for the slide part, you will EAT bushings at the frame end because all of the twist of the articulation is forced through that bushing. You need to find two pieces of tube that slip nicely together but are not splined.

Ary

Have another question for you, what is your frame height? Are you running 37's ot 35's can't remember. Just curious how mine compares to others out there. Got both front and rear lockers working today and took it out to the field tonight, somebody drop a bunch of cement/rock out there, perfect posing/flexing hill. Engaged the lockers and felt the front pull straight right away. So happy I got that worked out.

I will post a few pictures soon, just want to get some other things done first. I did manage to mount the sliders and cut the rear fenders for clearance. She is looking good, can't wait to see how she looks with red rocks as a background.

How is the traction bar going???

Heres One More Action Shot On The Eagles Nest. Shows It A Little Better ( I Kinda Bent My Bumper).

2605323_76_full.jpg

If you use the slip yoke for the slide part, you will EAT bushings at the frame end because all of the twist of the articulation is forced through that bushing. You need to find two pieces of tube that slip nicely together but are not splined.

Ary
I Have A Flex Joint (It's Like A Johnny Joint) On The Slip Yoke End. Then Just The Regalur Bushing On The Axle

Have another question for you, what is your frame height? Are you running 37's ot 35's can't remember. Just curious how mine compares to others out there. Got both front and rear lockers working today and took it out to the field tonight, somebody drop a bunch of cement/rock out there, perfect posing/flexing hill. Engaged the lockers and felt the front pull straight right away. So happy I got that worked out.

I will post a few pictures soon, just want to get some other things done first. I did manage to mount the sliders and cut the rear fenders for clearance. She is looking good, can't wait to see how she looks with red rocks as a background.

How is the traction bar going???
Frame Height Is 29 Inches With 37". But I Got Pulled Over So I Will Have Get Some 29" Tall Tires To Meet The Reqiure Ments Of The Road.Traction Bar Is Done And Works Great. I Post Some Pics Up This Weekend.And Sunday Night I'll Post Picrures Of Little Moab Near Lehi

Sounds good, sucks that you have to go to "little" tires to drive around town. I would see if you have any other options, maybe get it passed as a truck or pay off the state patrol guy ;)

I 'll look for the pictures of the traction bar, be cool to see it in action.

Good luck in Little Moab, 6 days and counting before I get to feel the traction of slickrock, can't wait :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: of the walls her at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom