Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Dude’s 2 wheeled counterpart. Basically the same thing
76024361-69B6-4228-958A-2E47BF6857DD.jpeg

Hehe I think I bent my axle

@HemiAlex should have a replacement for me in a month

And on @landcrusher909’s recommendations I will be gusseting the knuckle balls, trussing the axle, and may do a shackle reversal and go ahead and transfer the air lockers to 4:10 diffs while it’s all apart. 😳

B4C02BB2-6EBB-4CB1-853F-733AB27BCE51.jpeg

This surgery will probably put the dude down for a few days. Need to do some work to the 88 4runner so I can have a backup rig before I start this. Went most of the year without a backup! El Duderino has been my only daily

Gussetted fresh axle housing is in, time to pack the knucks and birfs with moly, get the spindle and hub on, and get this thing back on the road. Ended up not messing with the 4runner, have been dailying the KLR

View attachment 3565089
Photos of gussets are required

Photos of gussets are required
The gussets are the upper and lower fin things visible in that pic of the axle! Here they are up close and personal though. Booger welded an inch at a time alternating between all 4 to try and prevent warpage. Haven’t used this welder since I welded the sliders on a few years ago, and they’re still on the truck so 👍
0895D0D3-0E56-4722-B15A-4932C38125D7.jpeg
96A17618-6662-40E6-9A1C-468A1F9FB74F.jpeg

Truck is back together besides a couple slightly broken things that I don’t have replacements for yet (pic from when I was taking it apart, it’s cleaner now)
5FB69B3E-4EB6-4B30-B798-0BF0A713E304.jpeg

Stoked to have a nice painted front end, wheels that don’t kachow, and an axle housing that’s prepped for more abuse! Next step is a fresh sleeping platform and I’m ready for LSLC.

I forgot to post it but stage 1 of the dude’s most recent transformation was fresh exhaust from downpipe to tip from a local shop. Finally retired the rockauto tailpipe. I’ll post a pic of the freshie when I take one tomorrow. There’s still some leakage in the engine bay but it’s tamed quite a bit now.

I also have a saginaw pump to install, and I need to figure out what fittings I need to get my front air locker solenoid in.

One last thing I might do before Mason is remove the Gamaviti to tackle some roof rust. Not necessarily tackling the rust before Mason but I’d like to start prepping 😎

For all the Alpine Loop appreciators out there
E63BC2FB-163F-4DF1-B513-E389E373D7A0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom