The COVID Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Relevant screenshot. Definitely missed this on the first read. Prelim testing is different than mass distribution, think clinical trials, so I wonder if this specific Ad5 vaccine candidate immunitybio is developing will have the same expression as the recent ones that got abandoned.

Immunology is fascinating stuff.

Screenshot_20201228-224340.png

Last edited:
@mep1811 Not sure what your point is, but I'll ask you to compare March 2020 when people tried to isolate and avoid disease (in retrospect, a small localized blip mostly in NYC) and November/December 2020 (massive country wide outbreak) when they didn't. The current surge is huge, real and very deadly. It has room to be another order of magnitude worse. This is not a conspiracy, it's a public health emergency. And, it was proper to worry about the capacity of health systems, because you know what; it's far worse than you can ever believe. The 300 bed hospital I work in is at least 1/3 occupied by COVID patients, and the ICU is at capacity with COVID patients, most of whom will die. We are starting to house COVID patients in makeshift space, tents, conference rooms, etc. Staff is working overtime, I personally just finished 15 days in a row, you get the picture. And if you've been lucky enough to not get this yet, or get it and recover, than count your blessings.

And @mep1811 - masks are helpful. They decrease the number of droplets shed by an infected patient. Why the hard right has made mask wearing a whipping boy for "freedom", I don't know. But stop spreading false and misleading statements. Wearing a mask may or may not help you, but it benefits everyone as a whole. If you don't want to wear a mask, you have the freedom to stay home.

But I think the politicization of of this as a blue vs red badge of stupidity has been a huge disservice to the country. IT is our current president's legacy. (And that's coming from someone who voted Republican every election from 1981 until 2016) Depending on how long this surge lasts, everyone reading this will likely be exposed since it's now a numbers and probability thing. Think of things this way-let's say about 1/60 people has the disease (its higher some parts of the US) and go to a family gathering of 12 people. You have a 20% risk of being exposed to someone with the disease. From a public health standpoint, that's HUGE.

I think @GLTHFJ60 knows my parent(s) live in Charlotte. I am sad to report my mother died there of COVID-19 last week. It's been a major blow to all of us, especially my dad who is 87. So yes, she was elderly, but she was healthy until COVID. I personally have seen normal healthy 30-40 year olds present to the hospital and die within a few days. So you can't count on recovering if you do get the disease, though fortunately most do. One of my coworkers said it best-It feels like we have been abandoned by the public. I also know several coworkers who got the disease and recovered-all report the same thing-it's the worst flu like illness they've ever had and their stamina was affected for months after. One guy got sick last April and still has decreased taste and smell.

Duke is the one closest to me, here's their site explaining distribution. We're in 1A right now I guess?

View attachment 2526172

Jonny-Thanks for posting that. States have some leeway to modify the basic plan a bit. While it's slower than we would like, it is happening. I know here in Sacramento, Phase 1B and 2 are slated to roll-out in Mid January. I'm hoping were at Phase 4 by March.

I got vaccinated (1A) first dose of the Pfizer product on 12/18. Second dose next week. There were no side effects I detected, other than 24 hours of a minimally sore arm. So please, when your turn comes, get vaccinated. Please. As fast as possible. It is the only real chance there is to avoid turning a massive tragedy into a massive catastrophe. Please remember that your current highest risk is from other family members. Most transmission now is at indoor gatherings. So if your family invites you over for a football game, a birthday party, a gathering, a New Year's eve celebration, just don't go. Please.

@mep1811 Not sure what your point is, but I'll ask you to compare March 2020 when people tried to isolate and avoid disease (in retrospect, a small localized blip mostly in NYC) and November/December 2020 (massive country wide outbreak) when they didn't. The current surge is huge, real and very deadly. It has room to be another order of magnitude worse. This is not a conspiracy, it's a public health emergency. And, it was proper to worry about the capacity of health systems, because you know what; it's far worse than you can ever believe. The 300 bed hospital I work in is at least 1/3 occupied by COVID patients, and the ICU is at capacity with COVID patients, most of whom will die. We are starting to house COVID patients in makeshift space, tents, conference rooms, etc. Staff is working overtime, I personally just finished 15 days in a row, you get the picture. And if you've been lucky enough to not get this yet, or get it and recover, than count your blessings.

And @mep1811 - masks are helpful. They decrease the number of droplets shed by an infected patient. Why the hard right has made mask wearing a whipping boy for "freedom", I don't know. But stop spreading false and misleading statements. Wearing a mask may or may not help you, but it benefits everyone as a whole. If you don't want to wear a mask, you have the freedom to stay home.

But I think the politicization of of this as a blue vs red badge of stupidity has been a huge disservice to the country. IT is our current president's legacy. (And that's coming from someone who voted Republican every election from 1981 until 2016) Depending on how long this surge lasts, everyone reading this will likely be exposed since it's now a numbers and probability thing. Think of things this way-let's say about 1/60 people has the disease (its higher some parts of the US) and go to a family gathering of 12 people. You have a 20% risk of being exposed to someone with the disease. From a public health standpoint, that's HUGE.

I think @GLTHFJ60 knows my parent(s) live in Charlotte. I am sad to report my mother died there of COVID-19 last week. It's been a major blow to all of us, especially my dad who is 87. So yes, she was elderly, but she was healthy until COVID. I personally have seen normal healthy 30-40 year olds present to the hospital and die within a few days. So you can't count on recovering if you do get the disease, though fortunately most do. One of my coworkers said it best-It feels like we have been abandoned by the public. I also know several coworkers who got the disease and recovered-all report the same thing-it's the worst flu like illness they've ever had and their stamina was affected for months after. One guy got sick last April and still has decreased taste and smell.

Jonny-Thanks for posting that. States have some leeway to modify the basic plan a bit. While it's slower than we would like, it is happening. I know here in Sacramento, Phase 1B and 2 are slated to roll-out in Mid January. I'm hoping were at Phase 4 by March.

I got vaccinated (1A) first dose of the Pfizer product on 12/18. Second dose next week. There were no side effects I detected, other than 24 hours of a minimally sore arm. So please, when your turn comes, get vaccinated. Please. As fast as possible. It is the only real chance there is to avoid turning a massive tragedy into a massive catastrophe. Please remember that your current highest risk is from other family members. Most transmission now is at indoor gatherings. So if your family invites you over for a football game, a birthday party, a gathering, a New Year's eve celebration, just don't go. Please.

I'm sorry for your loss drew, but I'm glad you were able to be vaccinated.

Fwiw there was an adjustment of NC vaccine distribution this week to more closely align with cdc guidelines. Not sure what I posted is entirely accurate anymore.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Suffered through COVID back in March, along with my wife. She still doesn't have full taste / smell back. I never lost mine, but I did suffer 13 straight days of 100-102.5* fever and months of fatigue after. It was nasty. I pray my mother and in-laws can stay healthy. My anecdotal observation is that it seems to be getting more prevalent in rural areas now, where the "resistance" is largely focused. I hope and pray they will see the reality and finally understand this isn't an attempt to control the masses or submit to government. I, too, sorely despise how this has become so political and like everything else in life, people seem to have felt the need to choose a side for a fight that shouldn't exist.

RIP Like all other sensational headlines and stories which are written to increase fear and panic. Relevant facts are usually omitted like actual cause of death.
So...you're saying you were a "Ginger" guy?

I think @GLTHFJ60 knows my parent(s) live in Charlotte. I am sad to report my mother died there of COVID-19 last week. It's been a major blow to all of us, especially my dad who is 87. So yes, she was elderly, but she was healthy until COVID.
So sorry for your loss Drew.

We need to continue to do our best to keep our families safe and healthy.

We need to continue to do our best to keep our families safe and healthy.

Agreed. And the best thing you can do is to avoid them. All of them. In all circumstances. Not for you, but for them. It's only another month or three, and this strange time can all be over. It all totally sucks, but any mixing is bad. That's how this thing moves around. Avoid indoor situations with anyone you don't live with, and this thing goes away. And make sure the ones you live with are not "cheating". The s*** show that followed Thanksgiving, I fear is a prelude to what follows Christmas/New Years. I hope I am wrong.

My brother in Charlotte, has done well so far, but his son, a Clemson student, got the disease and wisely avoided the rest of the family for 2 weeks. He recovered without infecting anyone. You are not as far from this disease as you want to think.

But when your turn comes, please get vaccinated. Not just for you, but for everyone you might be in contact with.

Are you from 1918? What the **** are you talking about

So sorry for your loss Andrew. Stay safe, being on the front lines of this. Thanks for the first hand perspective. Hope to see you on the trails when the dust clears...

@mep1811 Don't they like you in your own clubhouse forum? Go there and post your bullshiz. In case you have not picked up on the subtle hints to your posts yet.

Well gee Johnny, you've deleted my posts in the past along with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom